Now the fun part

Advertisement
It’s so odd…

I LOVE college football. Absolutely can’t wait for it to start when it’s the off-season, and giddy when it gets going. It’s the best.

But at the same time, to basically have to force myself, against all instincts, to watch Miami games…and then find myself wishing for the season to end to put us out of our misery…..huge wtf.

Literally flipping between games last night with a group of friends/family and loving everything about cfb while we watched USC-ND and others. Loving this time of year and always associating it with awesome cfb games, high stakes, great players and plays, and unmatched atmospheres.

Then cringing every time I reluctantly switch to my Canes. It’s so weird.

Joy turns to sadness. Excitement turns to disgust. Anticipation turns to embarrassment and resentment.

When will it end?

Now that we’ve gotten that pesky football season out of the way we can get down to what we do best around here……”The offseason“.

They say “ champions are built in the offseason” but at Miami it’s “ we’re champions of the offseason“ and this will be year four of our dynasty. It should be easily the best one yet. I’ll be expecting far more excitement and happiness than the last three months combined. Here’s a quick sample of things to come.

1. Dramatic changes to the O staff. Regardless if it’s coaches “ going elsewhere“ , “ mutual separation“ or just straight up fired., the room will look dramatically different. The defensive side is the tricky part, I’d expect a minimum of one change but wouldn’t be shocked if it’s blown up too. I’ve always viewed most of that staff as safe but I’m not as sure with that as of today. That one will be intriguing.

2. A very nice finish to the recruiting class , maybe even better than I originally expected. Adding flips and a couple surprises to an already loaded class. The crap show of a season hasn’t change my outlook on a really good finish.

3. Hitting the portal and hard. There’ll be starters at positions of need being added through the portal and more depth as well As I’ve been saying for months “this offseason will have more quality enter than we’ve ever seen in the few years of it’s existence“. There will be a focus on adding playmakers on offense. Wr’s , OL and even one rb is possible. Defense I could see all three levels adding key guys, the back seven getting a lot of the focus.

We won’t recognize this roster at the kickoff of the ‘23 season.

The season is over and thats once again a good thing , hopefully this is the last year we’re living in this state of insanity. To be continued …….
Always appreciate the info and insight.

Advertisement
Now that we’ve gotten that pesky football season out of the way we can get down to what we do best around here……”The offseason“.

They say “ champions are built in the offseason” but at Miami it’s “ we’re champions of the offseason“ and this will be year four of our dynasty. It should be easily the best one yet. I’ll be expecting far more excitement and happiness than the last three months combined. Here’s a quick sample of things to come.

1. Dramatic changes to the O staff. Regardless if it’s coaches “ going elsewhere“ , “ mutual separation“ or just straight up fired., the room will look dramatically different. The defensive side is the tricky part, I’d expect a minimum of one change but wouldn’t be shocked if it’s blown up too. I’ve always viewed most of that staff as safe but I’m not as sure with that as of today. That one will be intriguing.

2. A very nice finish to the recruiting class , maybe even better than I originally expected. Adding flips and a couple surprises to an already loaded class. The crap show of a season hasn’t change my outlook on a really good finish.

3. Hitting the portal and hard. There’ll be starters at positions of need being added through the portal and more depth as well As I’ve been saying for months “this offseason will have more quality enter than we’ve ever seen in the few years of it’s existence“. There will be a focus on adding playmakers on offense. Wr’s , OL and even one rb is possible. Defense I could see all three levels adding key guys, the back seven getting a lot of the focus.

The season is over and thats once again a good thing , hopefully this is the last year we’re living in this state of insanity. To be continued …….
Tell me Miami is getting at least 10 average starter-quality OLs or I will begin to weep ugly man tears.

Advertisement

Letting Pitt RBs run for 256 yards at 8 ypc.....yes 8......will make you rethink everything on D. That's after giving up 201 yards on the ground to Clemson and 229 to FSU.

He's the Cuban Butch. He will build this thing so strongly that we will eventually win 10 games a year by default.
I think you meant Miami will "win 10 games over 10 years".

1665449332668.gif

recruits like robby Washington on our twitter calling out our current players.

Advertisement
“Miami will officially miss a bowl game after losing their season finale to Pitt late Saturday night.

This may sound like a ridiculous take, but I think long-term that result is a net positive. I say that because I believe there was some concern about even having enough players to field a team in mid-December considering the attrition expected now that the season is over. Playing in a bowl game would have meant delaying some inevitable decisions from a roster standpoint. It feels like the program is at a point where these decisions need to just happen so the program understands where they’re going from here.

This isn’t meant to call anybody out, but the reality is that there are guys who played for Miami this fall that don’t have any business playing for the program. If you watch Power 5 football programs play on any given Saturday and then flip over and watch the Hurricanes play, to me, it’s obvious that there are some serious deficiencies at some key positions where there is a lack of ideal NFL measurables.

That issue is confirmed when you go back and look at the professional talent that Miami has developed over the last few draft classes. Since 2017, Miami has had three first round picks, zero second round picks, one third round pick, six fourth round picks, seven fifth round picks, six sixth round picks, and six seventh round picks.

Outside of a select few, Miami is not producing highly sought after NFL talent and that definitely won’t change in this coming draft class with Tyrique Stevenson being the only potential selection. That likely won’t come until day three of the draft, which would match current trends in terms of the quality of player coming out of Coral Gables.

Could this team have been coached better? Sure. I think it’s fair to make arguments against Josh Gattis and Kevin Steele considering the on-field product this fall. I also think it’s fair to question whether Gattis and Steele would be performing the way they have with non-Power 5 talents contributing at key spots like wide receiver, offensive line, and linebacker.

Coaches need to coach and ultimately it’s on them to figure it out and adjust to personnel but if we’re talking about building a roster that can compete for championships, it’s important to note how far off it currently is.

The good news is that Miami has a staff determined to fix the issues that came up this fall and with a clear., indisputable picture of what this program is in its current state, there is a plan in place and solutions to problems in the works and that started earlier this week when the FCS and graduate transfer portal opened up and will continue over the next week when the open transfer portal opens up on Dec. 5.

Originally, we reported that there could be double-digit transfers with ten being a number in mind. I think it’s fair to say that the number of college additions in mind has surpassed number. I’m not sure how high it’ll go at the moment, but one person around the program noted that the plan is to hit the portal “hard,” which was strongly emphasized. That was before the game was even played.

And, of course, keeping this No. 10 ranked high school class in-tact and adding pieces to it over the next four weeks ahead of the Early Signing Period is a priority as it has been every day of the Mario Cristobal era.

There is a sense of getting back to work, which people in Miami’s recruiting department are doing here on Sunday with all hands on deck in the building as they work towards making sure nothing like the 2022 season happens again.”

Advertisement
I’m hoping we can land some quality OL in the portal

We are on the cusp of perhaps the best OL recruiting class we’ve ever had, but those guys can’t be relied on next year (not that they aren’t capable but we shouldn’t)

There just isn’t much on our line right now for next year. Clark, Rivers, Cooper maybe?

Obviously the playmakers are needed desperately but that OL needs major help.

Advertisement
Back