Notre Dame Makes “Golden” Hire at DC

Advertisement
“I was also looking for a person that didn't want to come in here and just drop this playbook, right, and say, 'Hey, this is what we're doing.' No, Al Golden was a guy who said, 'Hey, let me evaluate what you all are doing, let me evaluate your players and let's put together the best scheme.'

"Ultimately, he is the defensive coordinator, and I want to make sure everyone understands that. Al Golden is the defensive coordinator, Marcus Freeman is not the defensive coordinator. He has to take this thing over, but the ability to come in and to adapt to what our players know, I think is a huge benefit for our players. My job is to always take care of our players. This will be their third defensive coordinator in three years, so if you talk about three defensive schemes in three years, that's difficult, that's tough. The ability for somebody to come in and say, okay, let me learn what they know and then let's enhance it from there, that to me was what I was looking for."

Translation: Freeman was advised to hire a DC with HC experience. Mason came in with his own playbook, and Freeman decided to pass. Golden will be running Freeman’s defense.

Please tell me someone has a link to the post game when a reporter asked Golden if he thinks his defense just doesn’t work

'Hey, this is what we're doing.' No, Al Golden was a guy who said, 'Hey, let me evaluate what you all are doing, let me evaluate your players and let's put together the best scheme.'

This guys still talking his way into jobs. Golden doesn’t even know that means.

Lol man I keep making this point. For me I’m talking about TODAY. That’s not “lacking perspective”. I acknowledge the history and what those past matchups meant. The rivalry meant a lot. If You root for them to lose/ hate them from a distance because of that history, cool. Not mad at it. I don’t even think about ND in the off season or during a szn unless we play them. only reason the DC at Norte dame is a topic is because Al Golden took the job.

That said I **** sure ( just like every other canes fan ) keep tabs on FSU and UF no matter if we play them (UF) in a particular year. If UF/FSU makes coaching changes it’s a topic no matter the name here. If UF or FSU has they **** together it can directly effect what we do. If UF or FSU is trash gator and noles tears threads are lit. When ND blew that bowl game we didn’t clown/care nearly as much as UF losing to UCF..why? Because those are our arc rivals and those rivalries are still present. If ND moved to the ACC that changes things but we know that ain’t happening. I put a matchup like Texas vs Arkansas in the same category.

This is not anger, it's just a statement of fact. You lack perspective on what a rivalry is. A rivalry is not history. A rivalry is a rivalry and history is history. They are different words for a reason.

And who is "we"? "We didn't care as much as UF losing to UCF"? I CARED, and a lot of other people I know cared. Look, setting aside the fact that you can have multiple rivals and hate one rival more than another, there are other factors such as proximity which may make a particular event more relevant than another event at any given moment.

Stop acting like there is some need to redefine rivalry in your own perspective-free way. There are levels.

If you just started watching college football recently, or rooting for Miami recently, that's fine. I don't expect you to hate everyone that I hate. But stop telling people that UM and ND are not rivals.

Advertisement
He’d was TEs coach for the lions. He coached linebackers for Cincinnati. And Cincinnati had an aggressive D, but that was the DC’s scheme.

However, maybe Golden brings that scheme with him
If he wants to keep a **** job and have a shot at future HC openings, he better. If he run that **** he and No D was trying to run here, he’ll be shytcanned wayyyy before that contract ends.

Advertisement
This is not anger, it's just a statement of fact. You lack perspective on what a rivalry is. A rivalry is not history. A rivalry is a rivalry and history is history. They are different words for a reason.

And who is "we"? "We didn't care as much as UF losing to UCF"? I CARED, and a lot of other people I know cared. Look, setting aside the fact that you can have multiple rivals and hate one rival more than another, there are other factors such as proximity which may make a particular event more relevant than another event at any given moment.

Stop acting like there is some need to redefine rivalry in your own perspective-free way. There are levels.

If you just started watching college football recently, or rooting for Miami recently, that's fine. I don't expect you to hate everyone that I hate. But stop telling people that UM and ND are not rivals.
Lol I’m not tryna tell you or anyone else how to feel honestly. The only reason this a topic is because Golden was a HC at Miami. ND DC isn’t news for Miami. FSU and UF and who they decide to hire matters more for our program directly. That’s fact. If you or any fan want to view them that way today based off our history with them, cool. They are in Indiana. They aren’t instate nor do we play them annually. When we play them in 2025 or whenever that next matchup is..it will he centered around those 80s and 90s game. That will be the build up. That’s all I’m saying. It’s not that deep. Have a blessed day

'Hey, this is what we're doing.' No, Al Golden was a guy who said, 'Hey, let me evaluate what you all are doing, let me evaluate your players and let's put together the best scheme.'

This guys still talking his way into jobs. Golden doesn’t even know that means.
Used car salesman. Could sell a ketchup popsicle to a lady in a white dress.

Lol I’m not tryna tell you or anyone else how to feel honestly. The only reason this a topic is because Golden was a HC at Miami. ND DC isn’t news for Miami. FSU and UF and who they decide to hire matters more for our program directly. That’s fact. If you or any fan want to view them that way today based off our history with them, cool. They are in Indiana. They aren’t instate nor do we play them annually. When we play them in 2025 or whenever that next matchup is..it will he centered around those 80s and 90s game. That will be the build up. That’s all I’m saying. It’s not that deep. Have a blessed day

It's all good. I hate Notre Dame, and I'm Catholic (and we don't worship Mary).

Come to the game, my friend. You'll find PLENTY of (admittedly older) UM fans who absolutely loathe ND.

Advertisement
I'm not bringing up old schit. I am talking about what happened this season. Ya, fans say stupid schit about all fanbases, but nothing compares to what Notre Dame fans say about us. You don't know because you don't know any ND fans. Recruiting against someone is not the only criteria for a rivalry. We play Notre Dame more often than we play UF, so your "playing them regularly" comment doesn't mean schit.
I will bring up old schit...

I am very good friends with a player on our U who played for JJ back in the day.

He said that as a Catholic kid he always dreamed of playing for ND, but they were not interested and JJ was the choice to attend U of M, and become a Cane.

He said that of all the teams that the Canes played, ND was the dirtiest in trash talking, gouging, and overall illegal stuff.. Way worse than any other team. JJ knew this and he had it in for ND in the locker room, and not just what was shown on 30-30 to the public..

He said that of all the teams that Miami plays, he watched the most intently ND, because he hated them.......literally hated them....

So hearing their fans, and the attitude they displayed...... the hate is still there after all these years against ND, and I cheer for whoever plays against them.
I am with you OGH.

Come to the game, my friend. You'll find PLENTY of (admittedly older) UM fans who absolutely loathe ND.
I never disputed any of that lol. I know the old heads hate Norte based on the matchups history. If you ask Recruits or current players who Miami’s main rivals are RN they’d tell you FSU/UF. **** they’ll likely name UNC next.

I hate ND more than I hate UF, to be honest. My hate runs deep. There is just no way, as a Miami fan, that I could ever root for ND. Not ever.

A part of my soul died after the loss in 1988. ND literally plucked a national title from Miami’s hands with some of the crazy calls by the refs during that game, including the Cleveland Gary phantom fumble, that not only was a first down but a TD. That loss still stings; I’m taking it to my grave.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Give him credit for being innovative....that was the first ever goal line prevent defense.
Bruh… I was in total shock. Prevent on the **** GL. We got our LBs lined up 6yds deep in the endzone, and 4 DL against GT, a Paul Johnson led GT team, on 3rd and Goal from the 1. Like if we needed them to score to try to get the ball back quickly and that was our ONLY hope to win…. IDK if we line up like that. After I threw my cellphone thru the TV, I’m marching ny99as out the house like Martin Payne! “Get ta steppin’!”
1645220906257.gif

Advertisement
Back