Notre Dame Makes “Golden” Hire at DC

Advertisement
The question will be does he bring along his buddy to corch the secondary? With or Without him they'll have a very good front 7. With him they'll have a horrible back end, without him the jury will be out to how they run. But everyone thinking alfraud is a accurate reflection of what we saw here will probably be disappointed. His issues with us all related to what we asked out of him as a head corch. He was loyal to corches who deserved far less and threw kids under the bus as a direct result of those relationships. He had zero clue how to delegate authority & those things lead to his downfall and ours. But now as a DC his role is very defined. You take away all the extra things spinning through his head. Might be tough.

U know what my g; I was ready to pounce on this post like Tigger in his prime, but after reviewing Golden’s stint as a DC at UVA, which led him to The Temple job:

UVA’s defense went from 74th (1st yr), 50th (2nd yr), 26th (3rd yr), 18th (4th & Final yr)

U may be right; he may be better suited as a coordinator/positional coach vs running the whole thing. It’ll be interesting to observe; but being that I hated him here, & I loathe the sanctimonious fan base of ND, it’s a huge “fck you” on mine, to him.

This thread is really, really weird...

... some UM fans in here congratulating Golden even though he's going to a rival school (Keeping it too classy?).

... some UM fans in here claiming Golden can and will be successful at Notre Lame (Perhaps looking for a little redemption after too many years of being proven wrong about Golden while he was HC here, or just keeping it a little too real? Time will tell.).

... some UM fans in here dragging Golden (Still upset, I get it. Hopefully Mario fixes that hurt soon.).

... some UM fans in here saying "who cares" and "so what" (I get it, but if you really don't care, is commenting on your indifference the best way to show it?)

... some UM fans in here laughing at the current state of Notre Lame and praying he somehow manages to get Corch No-D hired as his LBs/DBs corch (This is, IMO, the best response for a true UM fan.).

... at least one UM fan in here who seems to be actively rooting for Golden to succeed at one of our biggest rival schools just so he can witness UM fans meltdown on this board (A mind-boggling and sad response, which elicits only intense pity at the thought of what such a human's day-to-day life experience must be like.).

... and some good old fashioned, totally inappropriate racial commentary (which will not be tolerated).

... and now this po(r)st.

Advertisement
Miami as a program from 2011-2015 was more of the issue than al Golden was. Glad we have our **** together now

Advertisement

... some UM fans in here congratulating Golden even though he's going to a rival school (Keeping it too classy?).

... some UM fans in here claiming Golden can and will be successful at Notre Lame (Perhaps looking for a little redemption after too many years of being proven wrong about Golden while he was HC here, or just keeping it a little too real? Time will tell.).

... some UM fans in here dragging Golden (Still upset, I get it. Hopefully Mario fixes that hurt soon.).

... some UM fans in here saying "who cares" and "so what" (I get it, but if you really don't care, is commenting on your indifference the best way to show it?)

... some UM fans in here laughing at the current state of Notre Lame and praying he somehow manages to get Corch No-D hired as his LBs/DBs corch (This is, IMO, the best response for a true UM fan.).

... at least one UM fan in here who seems to be actively rooting for Golden to succeed at one of our biggest rival schools just so he can witness UM fans meltdown on this board (A mind-boggling and sad response, which elicits only intense pity at the thought of what such a human's day-to-day life experience must be like.).

... and some good old fashioned, totally inappropriate racial commentary (which will not be tolerated).

... and now this po(r)st.

Norte **** is not a rival man.

Who care who al is coaching

Miami has its **** together finally

Kumbaya fellas

Norte **** is not a rival man.

Who care who al is coaching

Miami has its **** together finally

Kumbaya fellas

My man, I can appreciate that we have only played them twice in the last 10 years, but to any UM fan over the age of 35 or with respect for UM history and tradition, Notre Lame is and will always be a rival school.

The rest of your post is accurate.

Can't wait to see who sucks worse - Baker at Mizzou, Manny at Pedo State, or Golden with the Domers.
Manny will do the best he has the most talent.....Golden's D will get torched if they don't have the specific personnel. And Mizzou is Mizzou

U know what my g; I was ready to pounce on this post like Tigger in his prime, but after reviewing Golden’s stint as a DC at UVA, which led him to The Temple job:

UVA’s defense went from 74th (1st yr), 50th (2nd yr), 26th (3rd yr), 18th (4th & Final yr)

U may be right; he may be better suited as a coordinator/positional coach vs running the whole thing. It’ll be interesting to observe; but being that I hated him here, & I loathe the sanctimonious fan base of ND, it’s a huge “fck you” on mine, to him.
I hated that man's time here more than most but for reasons very different from what most came across. Everyone says no d was just running alfrauds system but it's not true. Just look at alfrauds time at UVA when he ran the defense and you'll see the difference. It was in the secondary where no d sabotaged us. He just had a different approach from everything Miami football was about. So while you hear all these fans on here screaming our biggest problem is we make all these in house hires, maybe our biggest problem was we went away from that... Miami football is a different brand. You either breathe it and embrace the hatred or you run from it and deal with the **** that comes behind those actions. Miami football doesn't mean people that come exclusively from some part of our tree. It means people that embrace that mindset that made us dominate the landscape. We are trendsetters, not sheep. Simple like that.

Advertisement
My man, I can appreciate that we have only played them twice in the last 10 years, but to any UM fan over the age of 35 or with respect for UM history and tradition, Notre Lame is and will always be a rival school.

The rest of your post is accurate.
I get man..That’s the only reason I say it’s not a rival..bruh I get the history of that matchup. But rivals don’t play every 15-20 years. Rivalry in Cfb also has to include recruiting. We really don’t compete with them in that aspect either..but god does smile down When ND loses

I just find it almost unbelievable that 3 former UM head coaches have gone on to Defensive Coordinator jobs at the following:

1) the Gator

2) Penn State

3) Notre Dame

Three of the absolute most vile teams from a Canes perspective. It’s amazing.

Still holding out hope that D’Onofrio will land the DC position at Ohio State* at some point.
That makes us DC U…

Last edited:
Advertisement

Lot of Parcells DNA at UVA at that time tho.

Lots of tight ends DNA on Al Golden.

All jokes aside, Cincy LBs balled this year.

Don't let those numbers fool you, Golden's D was swiss cheese, Gore had a field day vs UVA in 04':

BTW, UVA's D was even better under Mike London.

In 2006, London was named by Virginia coach Al Groh as the team's new DC to replace Al Golden. Virginia's defense under London was much more aggressive than it was under Golden. Allowing just 289.5 yards per game, the Virginia defense under London gave up fewer yards than any Virginia defense had in the past 27 years. London developed first year defensive end Jeffrey Fitzgerald, who by the end of the season had more tackles than any other freshman in the country.

The next year his defense was perhaps even better given the scope of the UVA football program. A highlight of this season was when Virginia was scheduled to play the Miami Hurricanes in the last game ever in the legendary Miami Orange Bowl. The Virginia defense, under the supervision of London, dominated the 'Canes and Virginia won, 48–0. It was Miami's worst loss at the Orange Bowl in their 70 years of playing there. The Cavaliers finished the season ranked 6th in the nation in sacks with 40, and allowed the 19th-fewest rushing yards (106.7 yds/game) and the 16th-fewest points against (19.7/game) on the way to a 9-win season and a narrow loss to Texas Tech and Heisman Trophy candidate Michael Crabtree in the Gator Bowl. At the end of the season, lineman Chris Long won the Ted Hendricks Award and was drafted 2nd overall in the 2008 NFL Draft.

He also was able to recruit some pretty **** good talent to the defense

Advertisement
Back