Notre Dame at Miami (1-24-01) at 6 pm on ACCN

Advertisement
We should recruit better in Florida. The quality of HS/AAU ball has improved greatly. FSU has five Floridians on their roster. We have none.

For decades, though, the state was known as a dry hole for top HS hoops prospects, and it takes awhile to live down a bad reputation.

There was a time. e.g., in the 1990s, where we recruited a 6'6 kid from North Miami HS who averaged 47 ppg. No exaggeration. Runner-up Mr. Basketball in the state of Florida. He averaged all of 3 ppg in his last year at UM before transferring out.
Ochiel Swaby should not be an excuse for us not to recruit in Florida. That was almost 30 years ago. Since then we've had a number of in-state kids who've contributed to this program. I agree Florida is known as a football state, but with that said our state has produced more than a dozen NBA players in the last 10-15 years. Other schools have taken note. It's time this staff do the same.

GO CANES!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
So, in your 10th or whatever year here, you have a team that can’t shoot 3’s nor can defend them. Why exactly then, are you the head coach?
He recruited this roster. McGusty's only year about 33% from 3 was his freshman year at Oklahoma. Sam was very, very good his freshman season from 3. After that not so much.

Advertisement
Jim needs to go. This is really getting sickening and quite sad at this point. Enough is enough.
Wait, so having a team for 3 years running that apparently participates in MMA on non game days and a coach you just said we need a Covid outbreak to not play is a problem?

Hopefully this all ends soon. Look how baseball elevated after corpse Morris left...

Ochiel Swaby should not be an excuse for us not to recruit in Florida. That was almost 30 years ago. Since then we've had a number of in-state kids who've contributed to this program. I agree Florida is known as a football state, but with that said our state has produced more than a dozen NBA players in the last 10-15 years. Other schools have taken note. It's time this staff do the same.GO CANES!
I agree. Swaby was just an extreme example.

When I went to UM back in the mid-60s, some South Florida high schools didn't even have indoor gyms. Games were played at the larger schools (like Edison, for example) where they had a facility. I guess the thinking back then was: (1) no one really cared about hoops, only football; and (2) who needed an indoor gym (like all schools up north had) with the weather so nice? That is where the area/state has evolved from!

Advertisement
Back