Note on Jeremiah Payton

If Ahmmon Richards can't get his lil bro to come to the U then hes not the old school Cane we think of him. He is always out there recruiting kids on social media and you are going to tell me that he isn't going to get it done with his brother? Nah man thats not acceptable, bring him down here to the U Ahmmon.

Advertisement
I mean taking 3 WRs in 2019 won't be bad. I just think the plan should be to take 2. Ladson and Payton are takes no matter what. If Brieon Fuller or like Dunmore end up being graded as takes, I can easily see one or both of them being in this class. But looking at the future elligibility chart 2-3 is the target...3 might be better, but I don't think its ideal when we need to add so many defensive players next class. we have a max of 28 scholarships available for 2019, but imo are more likely to just use 25, in which case Offense should have like 10 to work with, and the rest NEEDS to go to defense.

Ladson, Payton, Fuller, Dunmore are all takes as far as I'm concerned. If these studs want in, then you stack chips. We may have to use all 28 schoolies to replenish the defensive side of the ball, plus any studs on offense.
Not only are we making ourselves better; but we are keeping them from going elsewhere. Especially the $EC!

I think people overestimate how full and/or good our room will be next year when these kids sign. Assuming that AR goes pro:

Juniors:
Harley
Thomas

Sophomores:
Njoku (RS)
Hightower
Pope
Ezzard

Freshman
Wiggins (Likely RS)
Fuller (committed, not likely to stick)

So I see 2 guys that have made a play in college, 3 guys we are hoping will be consistent as underclassman, a longer term developmental guy and a guy coming off a torn acl...

That’s 7 guys total. Take 3

I think people overestimate how full and/or good our room will be next year when these kids sign. Assuming that AR goes pro:

Seniors:
Cager (RS)

Juniors:
Harley
Thomas

Sophomores:
Njoku (RS)
Hightower
Pope
Ezzard

Freshman
Wiggins (Likely RS)

So I see 2 guys that have made a play in college, 3 guys we are hoping will be consistent as underclassman, a longer term developmental guy and a guy coming off a torn acl...

Cager will be a RS SR and should be back if he can earn a starting job and doesn't turn pro. You are right though, we should bring in at least 3 since we'll most likely be losing at least 3 (Harris, Langham, AR). You can never tell how a kid turns out (Bruce, Mullins) and will lose some to injury... Bring them in and let them compete!

Last edited:
Advertisement

Juniors:
Harley
Thomas

Sophomores:
Njoku (RS)
Hightower
Pope
Ezzard

Freshman
Wiggins (Likely RS)

You're also missing Cager and Deejay Dallas.
Dallas who was our backup Slot WR last year and Cager who basically started for Ahmmon in the bowl game. Soo...

You're also missing Cager and Deejay Dallas.
Dallas who was our backup Slot WR last year and Cager who basically started for Ahmmon in the bowl game. Soo...

Cager might come back but he’s not exactly a huge contributor. Deejay is a running back or an “offensive weapon” more than a receiver. I don’t see him as a true WR

Cager might come back but he’s not exactly a huge contributor. Deejay is a running back or an “offensive weapon” more than a receiver. I don’t see him as a true WR

Cager was our starting WR in our bowl game. And if Ahmmon declares early why would he leave? He'd be the upperclassman with the leg up to start at the X position, and dude has been the true definition of a Cane his entire career. He's not in the same league as a Langham or even Dayall Harris where they have no value imo. So I mean he's a big enough contributor that he should have been listed.

And Deejay is an offensive weapon. But the fact is he is/will be a contributor at WR. He was listed as our backup Slot Wr for a reason. And after next season Lingard, our 5 star RB, will be a sophomore and likely get a huge bump in carries. And we will be bringing in 2 more RBs to compete along with Burns and Davis being another year in. Deejay will not be needed at RB like he was in 2017 is my point. He'll obviously still get some carries, but he'll be able to play a lot of wr.

Add those 2 with the guys you listed including studs like Thomas and dudes we think will be studs immediately like Pope and Hightower, and we are sitting excellently at WR. Just saying you're point was we were overestimating the WR room for the future - We're not.

But I mean I agree, I'm on board with 3 WRs, though I'd personally prefer 2 if we can get Ladson and Payton.

We’re regularly in 3 and 4 wide sets. This ain’t 1982. If you’re playing as many WRs as we are then you sign 3 or 4 every year. There will be busts and attrition.

Exactly. We got 11 WR on the roster this season. 3 of them are SR. AR if he can return to his frosh season form. May possibly leave early.

That puts you down at 7. You have to at min, bring in 4 imo. Injuries, bust and attrition will hit.

Look around at rosters and you will see teams holding 11 plus WR.

Advertisement
Cager was our starting WR in our bowl game. And if Ahmmon declares early why would he leave? He'd be the upperclassman with the leg up to start at the X position, and dude has been the true definition of a Cane his entire career. He's not in the same league as a Langham or even Dayall Harris where they have no value imo. So I mean he's a big enough contributor that he should have been listed.

And Deejay is an offensive weapon. But the fact is he is/will be a contributor at WR. He was listed as our backup Slot Wr for a reason. And after next season Lingard, our 5 star RB, will be a sophomore and likely get a huge bump in carries. And we will be bringing in 2 more RBs to compete along with Burns and Davis being another year in. Deejay will not be needed at RB like he was in 2017 is my point. He'll obviously still get some carries, but he'll be able to play a lot of wr.

Add those 2 with the guys you listed including studs like Thomas and dudes we think will be studs immediately like Pope and Hightower, and we are sitting excellently at WR. Just saying you're point was we were overestimating the WR room for the future - We're not.

But I mean I agree, I'm on board with 3 WRs, though I'd personally prefer 2 if we can get Ladson and Payton.
Langham no value ? Dude won 2 games for us last year

There's plenty of room between "no value" and "really talented." Langham occupies that space.
I mean I get that. I'm not saying he's so bad we should be pullling his scholarship - which I am literally saying that is the case for guys like Jahair Jones, Bar Milo, George Brown, Tre Johnson, Tyreic Martin, Terry McCray, Romeo Finley, and Robert Knowles...and next yr Crispian Atkins shouldn't have his scholarship renewed either.
I agree I wouldn't put Langham in that category, especially because of the heroics he performed in the FSU/GTech game which he will go down in Cane History for. But he clearly isn't a Miami caliber WR. I mean imo He's going to be a backup at Ahmmons X position which will also have Cager, Hightower, and Njoku competing for that spot as well. So, Id be disappointed if all those guys didn't out-snap Langham this year.

Advertisement
Ladson, Payton, Fuller, Dunmore are all takes as far as I'm concerned. If these studs want in, then you stack chips. We may have to use all 28 schoolies to replenish the defensive side of the ball, plus any studs on offense.
Not only are we making ourselves better; but we are keeping them from going elsewhere. Especially the $EC!
yep, you don't turn away talent. if they wanna come here and compete let them, let those who fall behind the depth chart transfer

Advertisement
If Ahmmon Richards can't get his lil bro to come to the U then hes not the old school Cane we think of him. He is always out there recruiting kids on social media and you are going to tell me that he isn't going to get it done with his brother? Nah man thats not acceptable, bring him down here to the U Ahmmon.
Ahmmon says hes staying out of the way letting his brother enjoy the recruiting process. Just tells him like high school you can play with all the skalliwags all you want. Eventually you gonna get tired of blue balls & want a real woman. When you reach that point well be waiting. Lmao

Ahmmon says hes staying out of the way letting his brother enjoy the recruiting process. Just tells him like high school you can play with all the skalliwags all you want. Eventually you gonna get tired of blue balls & want a real woman. When you reach that point well be waiting. Lmao
That started out bad and ended good. Hopefully Miami is Mark's real woman.

Advertisement
Back