Not that yall care, but I can't sleep so eat my thoughts. *THE BEARDY REPORT*

Baker out coaches himself, that’s one thing that grinds my gears and that’s the biggest difference between manny and him. Manny would go into the game with 3-4 coverages and make it simple. Let the guys play it out. Baker goes in with way too many adjustments

Let Phillips and Roche get matchups on the outside on 3rd along stop slanting them every dam play. Rush 4-man up across the board.

Advertisement
So I rewatched the replay last night w/o the emotions involved. Again, I’ll always take a W, but here’s what I noticed:

1. UAB stalled their drives a couple of times by having unforced penalties and dropped passes to move the chains.

2. Their receivers were running free dang near all game long. The QB was super focused on Watkins, but the TE was open a lot. If UAB had any sort of a QB, that 14 would’ve ballooned

3. We blitzed a lot, I mean a whole lot, and didn’t get home. That’s most likely why UABs receivers were so open.

4. Ivey looks like Tarzan, and at this point, can’t even say he plays like Jane. He needs help rotated to his side.

5. Not sure why we aren’t pressing when we are blitzing.

6. D King was like Gumby out there. I can honestly say if Perry, Williams, or Kaaya was back there, we don’t score 31 points. The OL gave up a ton of pressure; so while we may have improved from the run standpoint, we are still **** poor on pass protection. King could’ve easily been sacked 7 times last night if not for his improvisation as a QB.

7. Harris was a man last night. He ran hard, aggressive and fast, and I pray he’s not seriously injured.

8. Rooster looked good in practice, but Chaney looked good in game. He has a grown man’s body to hit the hole, and bounce off of people now. He explodes in those first 3 yards; so he may not have the long speed like Rooster, but he’s coming out as fast & powerful as any RB in those first 3 yards which overwhelms. (Future is bright at RB)

9. With this being our first game coming off the heels of going 0-3 to finish the season, I did not, DID NOT like the fact that we started to play not to lose the game when we were up 17. This was the perfect opportunity to put CFB on notice. I don’t want to hear we’re holding back the game plan. We said that during Richt’s tenure as OC & Enos’ tenure. We were this close to not scoring an additional 14 points. Again, Harris’ hard running, breaking tackles and King’s improv to keep drives alive did that. Not so sure that same strategy works against P5 comp.

10. I can’t continue to defend this WR core. King only had 141 yrds passing, and its for good reason. Who would’ve known Wiggins, our 3* prospect, is our most reliable. I’ve said it before last yr, Harley’s legs move fast, but I always see DBs attached to his hips. Pope......Pope is really bothering me. He’s our highest touted WR per 247, yet I never feel any impact from him. Payton showed toughness, including running over a DB covering him. But our WRs don’t look or feel any better than last season, and that has me worried.

All in all, we came away w/ a W....but like I said when we beat BCU last yr 63-0, something didn’t feel right about it. Yeah we won 63-0, but it was a vanilla 63-0, one where we struggled w/ BCU for the first half, before our talent just out-talented them. It kinda felt like that last night; in the 2nd half we out-talented them, and then disunity happened on their sidelines due to poor QB play & penalties stalling drives that gassed their defense, which we benefited from.

I’ll, optimistically, chop this up to first game kinks. If we come out the same way against UL next week w/ the same game plan on both the O & D.....we might not catch that W.

Goes to show that the star rankings are not always right.

I don't care how many stars they have... Wiggins and Payton are the best athletes we have in the WR room. Pope is not athletic, and Harley can create separation but his catch radius is just too small.

The best way I can describe Pope is that he's "gangly." He's skinny and uncoordinated. I think the ratings sites just got it wrong with him.

If it were up to me, I would just keep feeding Wiggins until it clicks for him. He has the most upside of our WR's that I've seen. I would put Payton out there too.

Oh, and it goes without saying but Brevin Jordan needs to be fed the ball a lot more. He should be on the field every down and featured a lot more in the gameplan from now on.

Wanted to see the turnover chain but defense didn't create any turnovers.. Our cornerback situation gotta let rumph go. After this season you'll understand why. And just hire Reed already to get these kids ready for game day.. Baker is gonna have to bounce after this season. Too cute playcalling. But it's just game one.. king needs more work Wr's no separation at all and that's bad

Diaz just wants to combine two worlds that logically make some sense together, but can’t Really exist.
He wants to create a lot of negative plays to force defenses behind the sticks. Which is smart. In an age of offensive domination, you got to get negative yards.
But he also wants to live to fight another day just in case he can’t get to the QB. He also wants to force offenses to have to methodically move downfield, thereby increasing the chances he will have to get a negative play. So on the backend he plays it safe.

The problem is it frequently just creates too much of a safety valve for QBs. Why worry about the havoc up front if you’re making the solution to the havoc so obvious on the back end? You saw that too much last night, and we’ve seen it too much in the past.
Excellent take, its a half way aggressive scheme we trying to run. It will work against most of our comp, but the elite teams like Clemson are going to eat that **** up. They will have no problems taking the easy stuff and marching right down the field. JUST WATCH...

It's why you see some of these opposing qbs putting up video game comp #'s against us, because we are aggressive on the front end and passive on the back end. If you gonna be aggressive you got to go all out with it and be prepared to live and die by it, ex: UAB on Harris's 4th down run.

My biggest gripe of the defense:

Safeties need to CRASH the flats. How many short passes went for +10 yards on us?

Bring the safeties down and test your middle backers in coverage. ***** giving up those free yards.

Advertisement
OFFENSE
*Don't panic. Offense always takes longer to get rolling than defense. It was clear to me that we kept it very vanilla.
I was a little unimpressed with the O-line though. I thought King got a little too much heat on occasion.
Without his mobility our offense looks pretty bad tonight IMO. He made some really awful throws.

*I also will say this, I know UAB's DC and although athletically they're not on our level, that guy has the ability to scheme up some ****. I knew he would make our offense work for everything. He gets his kids playing above their level.

*The talent at the RB position is just foolish. That is all.

*I wanna say something about Pope, but it's only the first game so I'll refrain from being too critical.

I'm not worried about the offense. We know Lashlee's resume. And I know the whole scheme isn't in yet (can't be).
We've seen what his offenses can do, his resume speaks for itself. We didn't see a lot of RPO today. We didn't see King keep it on read-option. We didn't see a power running game, we saw most inside zone. There was a lot that was left off the table. I would imagine they don't want to put too much on tape for our upcoming ACC opponents.

DEFENSE
How do you MF'ers continue to defend this ****? LOL
You can point to all the favorable stats you want to, I know WTF I'm looking at. It's basura.

*They continue to out-coach themselves by being too cute. I saw one blitz where we left TWO guys completely wide open. Fortunately their QB missed the throw.
On the long run by UAB we stunted right out of the gap and allowed TWO UAB O-linemen to reach our LB's untouched. They just get too **** cutesy. Blitzing the Striker from 6x5 yards away?! Who are you fooling with that?! The ball is gone before he gets anywhere near the QB!
YOU'RE FVCKIN' MIAMI! JUST LINE UP AND PLAY SOUND DEFENSE!

*Defensive Line I thought played pretty well. I can't blame them for any big gains in the running game because we do so much **** stunting up front. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it works. One of Nesta's TFL's came on a stunt. But when it doesn't, it's off to the races.
I think we only generated one sack tonight, and Roche's was stunting inside on the play, so it wasn't organic. I don't think DL will be an issue though. Our coaches need to just let them play.

*Linebackers - I don't recall them making any plays really. I'll have to rewatch the game. As I mentioned before, the long run wasn't their fault. Both LB's got engulfed by O-linemen that were untouched because the D-linemen they were supposed to block stunted out of the way. Not much a Linebacker can do about that.

*Safety - Don't remember too many plays on the ball, but I did see some god awful tackling. Whiffing on a UAB RB is never a good look for the future. I don't recall how they did in coverage or on run support near the LOS.

*Corners - At what point do we stop getting beat inside on man coverage? At what point do we let our big a$$ Corners put their hands on WR's instead of allowing free release? WTF is the point of playing press IF YOU AIN'T GONNA PRESS?!?!?! I saw Blades get beat inside on back-to-back plays. On the second one he made a nice hustle play and punched the ball out, but let's focus on not allowing that inside route to begin with. I always thought this was like the #1 rule in press-man coverage? *shrug* Yet our CB's have struggled with this since Diaz/Rumph have been here. IT'S CAUSE WE DON'T IMPEDE THE WR'S RELEASE AT ALL! We just shadow them!

*This defense has a way of letting inferior players have a field day. It's either a QB, a RB or a WR that puts up his career numbers. Whether it's FIU's RB gashing us for over 100 yards or Wisconsin's QB looking like Dan Marino, we're guaranteed to give somebody their shining moment. UAB's QB started the game 8/9 passing, but that's not it. How 'bout their WR catching 8 balls for 117 yards. LOL. Who the fvck is this guy?! Is it too much to ask of our defense to completely shut a D1AA offense down? Like shove them and their whole gameplan in the ****ter?! We don't have any DB's at Miami that can keep this kid with offers from UAB and Ball State from looking like Larry Fitzgerald? This fvckin' guy was the best WR on the field tonight!

Overall not an AWFUL performance. Most of what I say is tongue-in-cheek and yall know I talk ****, but IMO there are some glaring weaknesses. I'll consider the fact that maybe it's first game jitters, but I'll also consider the fact that these weaknesses are usually magnified when you play better opponents. If our CB's can't cover UAB's WR's they're not gonna magically figure out how to cover Clemson's.

I'm not worried about the offense, but I want our defensive staff to stop out-coaching themselves. Most of the time when we give up big plays it's because we're being cute or unsound. Just line-up and play!

That is all.
Remarkable how strange it is to read the words "not worried about the offense"

I thought our ends lost contain too many times (again first game, so I get it) on the QB waggles...

Baker's defense.... there's just something not sound about it. Sonny Lubick he aint...
Ive been saying it since Many been here me being an offensive guy..we can get outflank with numbers.

You can force his alignment and Gash it for runs. Macho brought it up on a play and it was easily noticable..Tight end and a wing...we had Phillips inside the end...(easy chip or block, hard for him to set the edge)...the tackle has a free shot on the LB that is placed inside of that. The only thing that blows it up is if a dt causes disruption...if not if any rb have some ability thats an easy 5+ yards a pop.

Advertisement
Ive been saying it since Many been here me being an offensive guy..we can get outflank with numbers.

You can force his alignment and Gash it for runs. Macho brought it up on a play and it was easily noticable..Tight end and a wing...we had Phillips inside the end...(easy chip or block, hard for him to set the edge)...the tackle has a free shot on the LB that is placed inside of that. The only thing that blows it up is if a dt causes disruption...if not if any rb have some ability thats an easy 5+ yards a pop.

so in other words, you better have Gerald Willis, lol

Yeah, again, Im not an expert on football like you guys, but you dont have to be Emeril to know when chicken tastes like wood, or Steven Speilberg to have the opinion that 'Gigli' was an awful movie.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't that sort of the tradeoff with the high-pressure defense Diaz has?

Tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't that sort of the tradeoff with the high-pressure defense Diaz has?
It is...Its why he is slanting the line so much etc...But its some ways its weak to...stretch runs could get us alot imo.

Also me as an offensive guy...i woule EAT on our defense on 3rd downs...especially with the 3 man line delayed blitz they run with the back end playing off so much.

My main gripe has always been the delayed bltzes with off man coverage....and some of our run fits putting alot of pressure on LBS.

Advertisement
Advertisement

It’s gotten worse in terms of us getting outflanked with numbers since baker has been running the Diaz unfortunately, very noticeable even against lesser opponents

I will pay more attention to this to see if what you say has merit.
you didnt watch our games last year.

Man its very easy to anticipate what we are running...if that DL aint creating havoc at a high level that sh*t gonna get picked apart. Ever wonder why avg qbs like the one yesterday have high *** completion percentges when they play us?.

You will see the coastall offenses have figured us out..Guys like Cutcliffe gonna eat

you didnt watch our games last year.

Man its very easy to anticipate what we are running...if that DL aint creating havoc at a high level that sh*t gonna get picked apart. Ever wonder why avg qbs like the one yesterday have high *** completion percentges when they play us?.

You will see the coastall offenses have figured us out..Guys like Cutcliffe gonna eat
Not an assessment I like to hear coming from a poster with your knowledge and experience. I didn’t get to watch as much last year as I did the year before. I do remember defensive flops against Florida and North a Carolina that we’re painful to watch, and of course FIU.

so we are in trouble with teams with good OL’s

Not an assessment I like to hear coming from a poster with your knowledge and experience. I didn’t get to watch as much last year as I did the year before. I do remember defensive flops against Florida and North a Carolina that we’re painful to watch, and of course FIU.

so we are in trouble with teams with good OL’s
I don't even think you need a good OL. They just have to be average. What you need is an astute OC. They can game plan around it and create mismatches.

I guess there's a reason why on the anonymous coaches article, the consensus thought Manny's defense was gimmicky. Once you figured out the gimmick, you're toast.

Advertisement
Back