Not that yall care, but I can't sleep so eat my thoughts. *THE BEARDY REPORT*

Coach Macho

aka Beardy Ryan
OFFENSE
*Don't panic. Offense always takes longer to get rolling than defense. It was clear to me that we kept it very vanilla.
I was a little unimpressed with the O-line though. I thought King got a little too much heat on occasion.
Without his mobility our offense looks pretty bad tonight IMO. He made some really awful throws.

*I also will say this, I know UAB's DC and although athletically they're not on our level, that guy has the ability to scheme up some ****. I knew he would make our offense work for everything. He gets his kids playing above their level.

*The talent at the RB position is just foolish. That is all.

*I wanna say something about Pope, but it's only the first game so I'll refrain from being too critical.

I'm not worried about the offense. We know Lashlee's resume. And I know the whole scheme isn't in yet (can't be).
We've seen what his offenses can do, his resume speaks for itself. We didn't see a lot of RPO today. We didn't see King keep it on read-option. We didn't see a power running game, we saw most inside zone. There was a lot that was left off the table. I would imagine they don't want to put too much on tape for our upcoming ACC opponents.

DEFENSE
How do you MF'ers continue to defend this ****? LOL
You can point to all the favorable stats you want to, I know WTF I'm looking at. It's basura.

*They continue to out-coach themselves by being too cute. I saw one blitz where we left TWO guys completely wide open. Fortunately their QB missed the throw.
On the long run by UAB we stunted right out of the gap and allowed TWO UAB O-linemen to reach our LB's untouched. They just get too **** cutesy. Blitzing the Striker from 6x5 yards away?! Who are you fooling with that?! The ball is gone before he gets anywhere near the QB!
YOU'RE FVCKIN' MIAMI! JUST LINE UP AND PLAY SOUND DEFENSE!

*Defensive Line I thought played pretty well. I can't blame them for any big gains in the running game because we do so much **** stunting up front. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it works. One of Nesta's TFL's came on a stunt. But when it doesn't, it's off to the races.
I think we only generated one sack tonight, and Roche's was stunting inside on the play, so it wasn't organic. I don't think DL will be an issue though. Our coaches need to just let them play.

*Linebackers - I don't recall them making any plays really. I'll have to rewatch the game. As I mentioned before, the long run wasn't their fault. Both LB's got engulfed by O-linemen that were untouched because the D-linemen they were supposed to block stunted out of the way. Not much a Linebacker can do about that.

*Safety - Don't remember too many plays on the ball, but I did see some god awful tackling. Whiffing on a UAB RB is never a good look for the future. I don't recall how they did in coverage or on run support near the LOS.

*Corners - At what point do we stop getting beat inside on man coverage? At what point do we let our big a$$ Corners put their hands on WR's instead of allowing free release? WTF is the point of playing press IF YOU AIN'T GONNA PRESS?!?!?! I saw Blades get beat inside on back-to-back plays. On the second one he made a nice hustle play and punched the ball out, but let's focus on not allowing that inside route to begin with. I always thought this was like the #1 rule in press-man coverage? *shrug* Yet our CB's have struggled with this since Diaz/Rumph have been here. IT'S CAUSE WE DON'T IMPEDE THE WR'S RELEASE AT ALL! We just shadow them!

*This defense has a way of letting inferior players have a field day. It's either a QB, a RB or a WR that puts up his career numbers. Whether it's FIU's RB gashing us for over 100 yards or Wisconsin's QB looking like Dan Marino, we're guaranteed to give somebody their shining moment. UAB's QB started the game 8/9 passing, but that's not it. How 'bout their WR catching 8 balls for 117 yards. LOL. Who the fvck is this guy?! Is it too much to ask of our defense to completely shut a D1AA offense down? Like shove them and their whole gameplan in the ****ter?! We don't have any DB's at Miami that can keep this kid with offers from UAB and Ball State from looking like Larry Fitzgerald? This fvckin' guy was the best WR on the field tonight!

Overall not an AWFUL performance. Most of what I say is tongue-in-cheek and yall know I talk ****, but IMO there are some glaring weaknesses. I'll consider the fact that maybe it's first game jitters, but I'll also consider the fact that these weaknesses are usually magnified when you play better opponents. If our CB's can't cover UAB's WR's they're not gonna magically figure out how to cover Clemson's.

I'm not worried about the offense, but I want our defensive staff to stop out-coaching themselves. Most of the time when we give up big plays it's because we're being cute or unsound. Just line-up and play!

That is all.

Advertisement
OFFENSE
*Don't panic. Offense always takes longer to get rolling than defense. It was clear to me that we kept it very vanilla.
I was a little unimpressed with the O-line though. I thought King got a little too much heat on occasion.
Without his mobility our offense looks pretty bad tonight IMO. He made some really awful throws.

*I also will say this, I know UAB's DC and although athletically they're not on our level, that guy has the ability to scheme up some ****. I knew he would make our offense work for everything. He gets his kids playing above their level.

*I wanna say something about Pope, but it's only the first game so I'll refrain from being too critical.

I'm not worried about the offense. We know Lashlee's resume. And I know the whole scheme isn't in yet (can't be).
We've seen what his offenses can do, his resume speaks for itself. We didn't see a lot of RPO today. We didn't see King keep it on read-option. We didn't see a power running game, we saw most inside zone. There was a lot that was left off the table. I would imagine they don't want to put too much on tape for our upcoming ACC opponents.

DEFENSE
You can point to all the favorable stats you want to, I know WTF I'm looking at. It's basura.

*They continue to out-coach themselves by being too cute. I saw one blitz where we left TWO guys completely wide open. Fortunately their QB missed the throw.
On the long run by UAB we stunted right out of the gap and allowed TWO UAB O-linemen to reach our LB's untouched. They just get too **** cutesy. Blitzing the Striker from 6x5 yards away?! Who are you fooling with that?! The ball is gone before he gets anywhere near the QB!

*Defensive Line I thought played pretty well. I can't blame them for any big gains in the running game because we do so much **** stunting up front. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it works. One of Nesta's TFL's came on a stunt. But when it doesn't, it's off to the races.
I think we only generated one sack tonight, and Roche's was stunting inside on the play, so it wasn't organic. I don't think DL will be an issue though. Our coaches need to just let them play.

*Linebackers - I don't recall them making any plays really. I'll have to rewatch the game. As I mentioned before, the long run wasn't their fault. Both LB's got engulfed by O-linemen that were untouched because the D-linemen they were supposed to block stunted out of the way. Not much a Linebacker can do about that.

*Safety - Don't remember too many plays on the ball, but I did see some god awful tackling. Whiffing on a UAB RB is never a good look for the future. I don't recall how they did in coverage or on run support near the LOS.

*Corners - At what point do we stop getting beat inside on man coverage? At what point do we let our big a$$ Corners put their hands on WR's instead of allowing free release? WTF is the point of playing press IF YOU AIN'T GONNA PRESS?!?!?! I saw Blades get beat inside on back-to-back plays. On the second one he made a nice hustle play and punched the ball out, but let's focus on not allowing that inside route to begin with. I always thought this was like the #1 rule in press-man coverage? *shrug* Yet our CB's have struggled with this since Diaz/Rumph have been here. IT'S CAUSE WE DON'T IMPEDE THE WR'S RELEASE AT ALL! We just shadow them!

*This defense has a way of letting inferior players have a field day. It's either a QB, a RB or a WR that puts up his career numbers. Whether it's FIU's RB gashing us for over 100 yards or Wisconsin's QB looking like Dan Marino, we're guaranteed to give somebody their shining moment. UAB's QB started the game 8/9 passing, but that's not it. How 'bout their WR catching 8 balls for 117 yards. LOL. Who the fvck is this guy?! Is it too much to ask of our defense to completely shut a D1AA offense down? Like shove them and their whole gameplan in the ****ter?! We don't have any DB's at Miami that can keep this kid with offers from UAB and Ball State from looking like Larry Fitzgerald? This fvckin' guy was the best WR on the field tonight!

Overall not an AWFUL performance. Most of what I say is tongue-in-cheek and yall know I talk ****, but IMO there are some glaring weaknesses. I'll consider the fact that maybe it's first game jitters, but I'll also consider the fact that these weaknesses are usually magnified when you play better opponents. If our CB's can't cover UAB's WR's they're not gonna magically figure out how to cover Clemson's.

I'm not worried about the offense, but I want our defensive staff to stop out-coaching themselves. Most of the time when we give up big plays it's because we're being cute or unsound. Just line-up and play!

That is all.
Not an awful performance....we need to improve if we want to beat Louisville and Clemson.

I would not be upset if we got rid of Baker and Co. Manny needs to fully take over the D. Ese tipo es trmendo comemirda.

Last edited:
OFFENSE

DEFENSE

That is all.
I see no lies in this post.

Advertisement

Initially disagreed on that, but after watching some plays back again, this is spot on. With all of these fancy spread offenses working around, why in the **** arent we playing more press man coverage?

When Bill Walsh faced the Giants in 1985, Parcells asked Bill Belichick what his strategy would be playing against a rhythm, spread the field, west coast offense. Belichick answered: "We have to hit them at the line of scrimmage or they will rip us apart." 17-3 for the Giants in 1985 and 49-3 in 1986. We have to get more physical at the line of scrimmage against receivers.

I don’t know how to feel about tonight. To your point on the defense our coaching themselves I need to watch again and see if UAB OC just out coached Baker. Which wouldn’t be anything new. Manny did say UAB changed things up running wise in the presser. But he didn’t say zippo about the passing game. I’m appalled by our CB play. If Ivey has a desire to tackle put his long *** as a Striker and let him fight for time. I’d rather live with Christian Or Couch and take those lumps. Forever now DJ will be know as Poison Ivey in my eyes. He’s toxic not to opponents, but to himself.

Will say this. Jared Harrison-Hunte player himself a game as a young buck. So did Keontra, and Cam Williams. Happy to see young Canes running around out there. Well done with this Macho. Run this **** back after each game. I’ll hop in with some **** talking wit cha.

Advertisement
OFFENSE

DEFENSE

That is all.

Baker/Manny suck at the defensive end

I'll also add to your second *, UAB statistically does have a very good defense for their level at least. They are not a 'cupcake' first game.

Good points Macho and I agree with most of your points. The db play is curious and frustrating. It's like they'll make a good play and then give up 2 awful play. Ones that stick out are the 2 long catches on Ivey and the pass on Couch. I thought safety play was excellent and they did a good job keeping everything in front of them.

Pope had that fumble(which was bad) but like the staff trusting him to send him back out there and thought h responded well.

O-line looked better than last year...and I'll take it!

Agree with most of what was said. I think offensive play calling was vanilla and I understand. OL played much better than I thought they would, those two DE’s would be on our two deep I believe. I mean they had to have played well with 250 yards from RB’s right? Chaney looks like a grown ******* man as a true freshman. He’s going to be some Edgerrin James type dog his whole career. Knighton also looked great, very elusive

King might need to run for that type of game every week and I personally think that’s fine. Do I want more from a drop back perspective? Yes, but with more plays in the coming conference weeks I think we can get that. More importantly, he needs to keep those magically 3rd scramble conversions up because that’s a difference between a wasted drive and points.

WR’s look pedestrian, we should have tried to get Tarik Black. Not having an alpha on the outside will cost us. Don’t get me started on Pope, I’d rather see Restrepo in there.

LB’s looked lost aside from Jennings which is a pleasant surprise. I swear there was two plays Brooks could have possibly made an INT if he actually knew what was happening with the ball.

DJ Ivey get this dude a map, he’s going to be torched by Louisville and UNC. Blades was OK but could have played a couple routes even closer.

the most positive note was Hedley. They never rushed the punt so he was able to take his time, hold on for the rugby punt and just pin them back.

Final note. Fans expectations were too high like always. I’m not on here much but am at 247 and they were predicting even 50 points lol UAB has a better defense than LaTech and we didn’t even score on them last year so offense is better, let’s be happy for that. I’m still predicting 7-4 unless the offense really starts to click with downfield passing.

Advertisement
OFFENSE

DEFENSE

That is all.
Agreed with you on pretty well everything.
Was screaming and asking just line up inside shade of the WRs jam and shade then to the sideline, and let the qb prove they can go deep with our DL pressure.

Regarding being cute, I think these coaches sometimes have the little man syndrome. Manny never really played the game outside of HS, so he wants to be the smartest guy in the room and I think that may the case.

For Pope, I'm reading between the lines and I'm right with you homie.

Advertisement
Said before the game I thought we'd cover but I'd take the under all day long. UAB did what I thought they'd do, hit some plays on occassion but get dominated overall.

Offensively I expected the vanilla game plan we saw, but I really thought we'd execute it far better than we did. O-line looked below average at best and receievers didn't get separation. King electrified with his legs consistently and his arm occasionally, missing some really easy throws for points. Hopefully that was just game day rust.

Finally, those two freshmen running backs? Good Lord are they are gonna win us some games down the road.

On to game two. It will be an interesting one for sure considering how empty the stands will be again.

Last edited:
I like constructive criticism on defense, but sometimes you need to focus on the whole game instead of individual plays.
* UAB rushed for only 80 yards on 26 carries (3.1 ypc)
* We held them to 3 of 15 on 3rd down (so we got them off the field)
* We only had 1 sack, but tons of QB pressures which are equally effective
* We created 0 turnovers, but still held them to 14 points (7 of which came after Pope fumbled inside our own red zone)

Offense is a different story, so lets just hope we didn't show a lot. Clearly, we didn't use the TE's in the 1st half, so I'm under the impression Lashlee was set on winning this game on the ground.

Last edited:
Just for clarity UAB is not a 1AA school. They sre in C-USA and ate predicted to with their conference.

Secondly, at least 1 and perhaps 2 of the UAB WRs are NFL prospects, but I do agree with your assessment of the CB play. Ivey trailing in coverage on seversl plays and not locating the ball. Blades Jr. did have some bad plays, but was pretty solid.

My only concerns after game 1 are at CB and the offensive line.

Although we ran for 337, I'm not convinced with the O-Line blocking. IMO, a lot of the yards running were because our RBs are studs and our fast paced scheme wore down the defense. I didn't see any blocks standout where an offensive lineman drove the defender off the ball to create a new line of scrimmage or a gaping hole. At best they held their blocks allowing the RB to make a cut for positive yards. I paid close attention to run blocking in the redzone where it matters the most. Besides the TD run by Cam, I saw similar results from last year where in the redzone, we couldn't get much running on 1st and 2nd down leaving us in 3rd and long.

Overall, a solid performance by the team. It's only game 1, but I'd like to see a big improvement with the O-Line and CB vs Louisville next week.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back