Not that yall care, but I can't sleep so eat my thoughts. *THE BEARDY REPORT*

A ******* Men
BAKER Is basura bro

No business being at Miami

I would fire him immediately and Diaz can coach the rest of the way. This **** is sad. Gonna be a long season. We may lose 4 games and Diaz will get fired. It's because of the defense folks. Defense is trash đź—‘
Diaz is NOT HC material! For once, I would like to see a Dabo clone take over a Miami Team and see how would that look like,

Advertisement
OFFENSE
*Don't panic. Offense always takes longer to get rolling than defense. It was clear to me that we kept it very vanilla.
I was a little unimpressed with the O-line though. I thought King got a little too much heat on occasion.
Without his mobility our offense looks pretty bad tonight IMO. He made some really awful throws.

*I also will say this, I know UAB's DC and although athletically they're not on our level, that guy has the ability to scheme up some ****. I knew he would make our offense work for everything. He gets his kids playing above their level.

*The talent at the RB position is just foolish. That is all.

*I wanna say something about Pope, but it's only the first game so I'll refrain from being too critical.

I'm not worried about the offense. We know Lashlee's resume. And I know the whole scheme isn't in yet (can't be).
We've seen what his offenses can do, his resume speaks for itself. We didn't see a lot of RPO today. We didn't see King keep it on read-option. We didn't see a power running game, we saw most inside zone. There was a lot that was left off the table. I would imagine they don't want to put too much on tape for our upcoming ACC opponents.

DEFENSE
How do you MF'ers continue to defend this ****? LOL
You can point to all the favorable stats you want to, I know WTF I'm looking at. It's basura.

*They continue to out-coach themselves by being too cute. I saw one blitz where we left TWO guys completely wide open. Fortunately their QB missed the throw.
On the long run by UAB we stunted right out of the gap and allowed TWO UAB O-linemen to reach our LB's untouched. They just get too **** cutesy. Blitzing the Striker from 6x5 yards away?! Who are you fooling with that?! The ball is gone before he gets anywhere near the QB!
YOU'RE FVCKIN' MIAMI! JUST LINE UP AND PLAY SOUND DEFENSE!

*Defensive Line I thought played pretty well. I can't blame them for any big gains in the running game because we do so much **** stunting up front. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it works. One of Nesta's TFL's came on a stunt. But when it doesn't, it's off to the races.
I think we only generated one sack tonight, and Roche's was stunting inside on the play, so it wasn't organic. I don't think DL will be an issue though. Our coaches need to just let them play.

*Linebackers - I don't recall them making any plays really. I'll have to rewatch the game. As I mentioned before, the long run wasn't their fault. Both LB's got engulfed by O-linemen that were untouched because the D-linemen they were supposed to block stunted out of the way. Not much a Linebacker can do about that.

*Safety - Don't remember too many plays on the ball, but I did see some god awful tackling. Whiffing on a UAB RB is never a good look for the future. I don't recall how they did in coverage or on run support near the LOS.

*Corners - At what point do we stop getting beat inside on man coverage? At what point do we let our big a$$ Corners put their hands on WR's instead of allowing free release? WTF is the point of playing press IF YOU AIN'T GONNA PRESS?!?!?! I saw Blades get beat inside on back-to-back plays. On the second one he made a nice hustle play and punched the ball out, but let's focus on not allowing that inside route to begin with. I always thought this was like the #1 rule in press-man coverage? *shrug* Yet our CB's have struggled with this since Diaz/Rumph have been here. IT'S CAUSE WE DON'T IMPEDE THE WR'S RELEASE AT ALL! We just shadow them!

*This defense has a way of letting inferior players have a field day. It's either a QB, a RB or a WR that puts up his career numbers. Whether it's FIU's RB gashing us for over 100 yards or Wisconsin's QB looking like Dan Marino, we're guaranteed to give somebody their shining moment. UAB's QB started the game 8/9 passing, but that's not it. How 'bout their WR catching 8 balls for 117 yards. LOL. Who the fvck is this guy?! Is it too much to ask of our defense to completely shut a D1AA offense down? Like shove them and their whole gameplan in the ****ter?! We don't have any DB's at Miami that can keep this kid with offers from UAB and Ball State from looking like Larry Fitzgerald? This fvckin' guy was the best WR on the field tonight!

Overall not an AWFUL performance. Most of what I say is tongue-in-cheek and yall know I talk ****, but IMO there are some glaring weaknesses. I'll consider the fact that maybe it's first game jitters, but I'll also consider the fact that these weaknesses are usually magnified when you play better opponents. If our CB's can't cover UAB's WR's they're not gonna magically figure out how to cover Clemson's.

I'm not worried about the offense, but I want our defensive staff to stop out-coaching themselves. Most of the time when we give up big plays it's because we're being cute or unsound. Just line-up and play!

That is all.
Can someone please get this assessment to Corch Barker.

LT
Watched a 20+ minute condensed version this morning.

Saw some pretty good DT play.
Miller and Ford absolutely bullied their OL into the backfield on a few occasions but simply weren't athletic enough to redirect and actually make the tackle. Maybe that's the difference between an elite 4/5 star DT and a 3-star developmental guy. Either way, it was encouraging to see what they could do at the point of attack when they're not stunting.

After rewatching the game, noticed a ton of man coverage from UAB. Which brings me to another point, we've been getting a ton of man coverage the last couple seasons. It's clear that people aren't a scared of our WR talent anymore. Didn't notice our offense run any man-beater concepts to get WR's free either.

King missed quite a few reads. Our offense has two or three plays built-in on every down. On one play, we threw a screen to Harris on the left, but on the right side of the formation the WR's were also running a screen. He has the option to take either one, and he should have thrown the wide receiver screen. Not a real big deal though, it happens in these type of offenses. Just something I observed.

I know I'm very critical of the defense. That's just me being a DC. And I know on the surface, statistically, we did fine. But I tend to focus on the negative plays. And most of the negative plays I watched, didn't need to happen. And that's my issue.
If you go back and watch the negative plays you can rightfully say "Well that wouldn't have happened here if we would've just did this, or lined up properly, or didn't stunt."
The negative plays were mostly preventable, and that's my gripe. We could have easily kept this team to 3 points IMO.

I would rather see our players flat-out get beat, then to see our DC give up a play by being cute...or not having us lined-up right. I expect players to get beat on occasion, it happens. I hold coaches who get paid 6 figures more accountable. I mean, there was one play where UAB had a TE and H-back to the same side and we had NOBODY on the edge. Phillips was lined-up inside the TE. UAB's RB went untouched around the edge. That's what I mean, those things don't have to happen. That's not on the players.
Lenord Talyor will make a difference. I agree with you, something about this defense i just dont like BUT its good enough to win in todays game.
Our WR's are trash, we need payton and another young kid to step up asap. Wiggins is ok but harley and pope are not starting ACC wr's. i dont think you can ever take the fear and lack of confidence out of pope

We have a defensive legend on staff. I would hope that in some way, that would have an impact when our secondary is clearly lacking.

Advertisement
our fan base would not give anyone the leash that dabo was given. 4-3, 9-5, 6-7 before he got 10 wins, and wvu put 70 on them in the bowl game after the 10-4 year
No chance in **** that we would. Did I love last night's performance? No, but we still won by 3 scores in the first game of the season. I think we'll be fine if we fix some of the mistakes from the game. First post pandemic jitters I hope

Watched a 20+ minute condensed version this morning.

Saw some pretty good DT play.
Miller and Ford absolutely bullied their OL into the backfield on a few occasions but simply weren't athletic enough to redirect and actually make the tackle. Maybe that's the difference between an elite 4/5 star DT and a 3-star developmental guy. Either way, it was encouraging to see what they could do at the point of attack when they're not stunting.

After rewatching the game, noticed a ton of man coverage from UAB. Which brings me to another point, we've been getting a ton of man coverage the last couple seasons. It's clear that people aren't a scared of our WR talent anymore. Didn't notice our offense run any man-beater concepts to get WR's free either.

King missed quite a few reads. Our offense has two or three plays built-in on every down. On one play, we threw a screen to Harris on the left, but on the right side of the formation the WR's were also running a screen. He has the option to take either one, and he should have thrown the wide receiver screen. Not a real big deal though, it happens in these type of offenses. Just something I observed.

I know I'm very critical of the defense. That's just me being a DC. And I know on the surface, statistically, we did fine. But I tend to focus on the negative plays. And most of the negative plays I watched, didn't need to happen. And that's my issue.
If you go back and watch the negative plays you can rightfully say "Well that wouldn't have happened here if we would've just did this, or lined up properly, or didn't stunt."
The negative plays were mostly preventable, and that's my gripe. We could have easily kept this team to 3 points IMO.

I would rather see our players flat-out get beat, then to see our DC give up a play by being cute...or not having us lined-up right. I expect players to get beat on occasion, it happens. I hold coaches who get paid 6 figures more accountable. I mean, there was one play where UAB had a TE and H-back to the same side and we had NOBODY on the edge. Phillips was lined-up inside the TE. UAB's RB went untouched around the edge. That's what I mean, those things don't have to happen. That's not on the players.

“i would rather see our players get beat than the DC being cute”

Aye that’s facts. Ain’t no shame in just getting beat. Miami could play basic and line up without all the crazy exotic blitzes and beat most teams just off the talent.

Advertisement
Many of us on this board talked about the liability of the defense over summer. Specifically about baker. Of course the pumpers on here ridiculed us but I believe everyone is starting to see it now. I believe baker is the scapegoat this off season. The guy ain’t it
If "the guy ain't it", it wouldn't be making him a scapegoat. He'd be a scapegoat if someone else was at fault.

I said it in the other thread, but I just can't understand/justify/reconcile how Carter is playing over Bolden....unless Bolden isn't 100% yet.

To me, Carter is a striker. You want him closer to the line of scrimmage where he'll only be asked to cover heavier dudes and can help in the run game. He's not good in space.

I agree 100% on pressing....I think a lot of that is because they don't have faith in the CB depth chart. I know Rumph has his little cult of supporters on here.....but the aggregate result of all those recruiting misses are starting to rear its ugly head at the CB position. It's just a reminder to how stupid a decision Bandy made, both for himself and this team.
Does it really matter who's in the line up if you give a WR a free release on an inside slant? Having Patrick f*cking Johnson wouldn't have helped.

In a game where we were only up my 3 in the 3rd quarter it's hard for me to believe we hid most of the playbook on purpose. But what do I know?

Advertisement
According to Midlo we are just Baker haters and Baker on the verge of being a great DC

That defense last night was the same **** we saw last year. Stupid blitzes, missed assignments, and Bolden celebrating after a 12 yard run for a first down. I really hope I’m wrong but this looks like another .500 football team.

Does it really matter who's in the line up if you give a WR a free release on an inside slant? Having Patrick f*cking Johnson wouldn't have helped.
Like everything in life, the answer lies in the middle. It's a combination of talent (recruiting misses) and scheme. One could argue the free release is part of the scheme due to the fear these corners wouldn't hold up in press coverage, which points to the first deficiency.

Advertisement
Like everything in life, the answer lies in the middle. It's a combination of talent (recruiting misses) and scheme. One could argue the free release is part of the scheme due to the fear these corners wouldn't hold up in press coverage, which points to the first deficiency.
It also points to coaching scared. You have to try it, if doesn't work then change. Not all teams are LSU or Bama. There are plenty of teams out there that play more effective than us with lessor talent.

It also points to coaching scared. You have to try it, if doesn't work then change. Not all teams are LSU or Bama. There are plenty of teams out there that play more effective than us with lessor talent.
Not arguing any of that.....but it needs to be stated that Rumph's constant swing and misses on elite local secondary talent, from a geographical area of the country that is probably THE MOST FERTILE at the position, is rearing it's ugly head on the depth chart.

These guys coach for a living so I'm going to give them SOME benefit of the doubt.....if Ivey is starting its because NOTHING behind him on that depth chart has shown much. THAT, to me, is THE most troubling thing. And that depth chart HAS to be stapled to Rumph's resume. It's his, for better or worse, he OWNS it.

Agree with most of what was said. I think offensive play calling was vanilla and I understand. OL played much better than I thought they would, those two DE’s would be on our two deep I believe. I mean they had to have played well with 250 yards from RB’s right? Chaney looks like a grown ******* man as a true freshman. He’s going to be some Edgerrin James type dog his whole career. Knighton also looked great, very elusive

King might need to run for that type of game every week and I personally think that’s fine. Do I want more from a drop back perspective? Yes, but with more plays in the coming conference weeks I think we can get that. More importantly, he needs to keep those magically 3rd scramble conversions up because that’s a difference between a wasted drive and points.

WR’s look pedestrian, we should have tried to get Tarik Black. Not having an alpha on the outside will cost us. Don’t get me started on Pope, I’d rather see Restrepo in there.

LB’s looked lost aside from Jennings which is a pleasant surprise. I swear there was two plays Brooks could have possibly made an INT if he actually knew what was happening with the ball.

DJ Ivey get this dude a map, he’s going to be torched by Louisville and UNC. Blades was OK but could have played a couple routes even closer.

the most positive note was Hedley. They never rushed the punt so he was able to take his time, hold on for the rugby punt and just pin them back.

Final note. Fans expectations were too high like always. I’m not on here much but am at 247 and they were predicting even 50 points lol UAB has a better defense than LaTech and we didn’t even score on them last year so offense is better, let’s be happy for that. I’m still predicting 7-4 unless the offense really starts to click with downfield passing.

Eh cut the LBs some slack. None of them have ever played meaningful minutes in a game. Aside from McCloud, but he's not played in a year.

The corners aren’t playing press man. They rarely ever get up in the wr and jam him at all. They play too much of this off man shît. It hasn’t mattered who the corners have been in this defense slants and anything quick inside is open.
We are recklessly aggressive on the front end, but scared on the backend.

With our defensive line, we can play more physically at the snap. Even if they get open late, most qbs will miss most of those throws late because of pressure.

The UAB quarterback was seeing ghosts all night and it affected many of his passes. It has been said to death, but we are leaving too many gaps with stunts aNd blitzes. UAB schemed is with short, quick passes LIKE ALL OUR SMART OPPONENTS DO. They couldn’t block Phillips, Roche, or Silvera, but we bailed them out with blitzes and free released.

We can smother teams straight up. If the number 2 corner needs help, so be it. If we jam at the snap, we may give up a play occasionally, but what will happen to our opponents’ offensive production if we make their qb go to his 3rd and 4th read with those guys closing in?

Turnover Chain. That’s what will happen. It bothers me our coaches can never see this just like the offensive coaches don’t get that the short passing game is our ultimate weapon.

Advertisement
Back