Not breaking news, but…

Advertisement
Dawson leaving would be a disaster. Not that I think he's the best coach we could possibly get, but for one, you need staff continuity at some point. He's at worst a decent coach, and the only way we're ever going to actually get better around here is to have some coaching continuity.

But even more importantly, Mario isn't going to hire a guy the day he leaves. I know the jokes will fly that he may not hire a guy the century he leaves, but regardless, I'm fine with his taking his time to get the right guy here. But we don't have ANY time in December to fool with coaching searches. The 2024 season is it at Miami for Mario. Of course he's not going to get fired after 2024, but if he doesn't show another significant improvement, you can kiss the dream goodbye and he's not going to be able to sell enough kids to get the classes that you need to compete at the highest level. And since the 2024 starting QB isn't on the roster right now, you're going to need to pull him from the portal. It's quite difficult to do that without him knowing who his coach is going to be.

So we need to be back-channeling QBs right now (and we are) and telling them that Dawson is going to be coaching them. It's the only way we're going to get anyone worth a **** enough to win enough games in 2024 to save this program long-term.

TrumpyCane thinks the biggest issue is will Mario let the new OC pick his guys or will he force him to keep Mirabel, Beard, Harris, etc

@skeeter is 100% right. The Mario bro ball is nauseating parroted nonsense.

We had to get conservative when TVD started acting like Oprah with the football. Everybody gets an INT. Also when we had to play a true freshman QB.

We opened up more last 2 games when he was healthy, and not handing the ball to other teams.

No way. Dawson had full control of the offense the first 4 games. Then Mario meddled against GT. He half meddled against UNC. Clemson was FULL meddle, I'm not even sure Dawson was at the game (did anyone see him on the sideline?), meddled a ton against UVA, and then OMG did he meddle against NC State. I was told he actually demoted Dawson before that game and he and Mirabal called the offense together. FSU was partly Dawson. And then Dawson got full control of the offense for Louisville and Mario didn't even get on the offensive headset during the BC game.

Advertisement
No way. Dawson had full control of the offense the first 4 games. Then Mario meddled against GT. He half meddled against UNC. Clemson was FULL meddle, I'm not even sure Dawson was at the game (did anyone see him on the sideline?), meddled a ton against UVA, and then OMG did he meddle against NC State. I was told he actually demoted Dawson before that game and he and Mirabal called the offense together. FSU was partly Dawson. And then Dawson got full control of the offense for Louisville and Mario didn't even get on the offensive headset during the BC game.
This is pure delusion if you actually think it's true

Just admit that you are trolling and know nothing regarding Dawson. Dawson will be back
IMG_5844.gif

Pretty sure Mario was on Joe Rose talking about how much the offense improved statistically and in 2024 it’s going to take off.

Sure as **** didn’t sound like any changes were going to happen and they shouldn’t.

Advertisement
Of course he won't, that's one of the reasons he can't hire a good OC. Miami where head coaches are hired before the AD and assistant coaches are hired before the coordinators.
No coordinators pick their own guys unless the hc allows him too. You can’t find a big time program where the coordinator hired position coaches

Gimme the Texas AM and BC version of Dawson and let’s go get a QB

Also, redzone playcalling has to be better. We were 100 +/- in the country. No bueno

Advertisement
think dawson comes back. this is probably more of a case of an emotional poster typing up something pretending to be gospel after a bad offensive performance than anything factual

Mario has publicly expressed his happiness with the offense, we've gotten rid of the QB that derailed dawson's offense... dawson publicly has stated that it's an easy gig working with this great of an OL, and he's paid well

I would prefer Dawson stay

I think there’s a lot of good coaches out there but I think he’s got a lot of potential

Mario hiring him was a step in the right direction

Per the usual when stuff gets tight people fall back on what they’re comfortable with and everyone involved dropped the ball for a stretch

I would like to see us keep improving in all aspects of communication and coaching and I think Dawson can be a good one

Advertisement
I would prefer Dawson stay

I think there’s a lot of good coaches out there but I think he’s got a lot of potential

Mario hiring him was a step in the right direction

Per the usual when stuff gets tight people fall back on what they’re comfortable with and everyone involved dropped the ball for a stretch

I would like to see us keep improving in all aspects of communication and coaching and I think Dawson can be a good one
Same. I don't believe Dawson and Mario ever had a prior stint together and he came in right as spring practice was about to start. Just like in the real world, it takes time to get things dialed in when new teams are assembled. There is almost always a storm on the front end while individuals learn to work together and blend.

There were some things that were frustrating but I want to see what year two in the same system could look like. The offense improved in almost every category, the system was more of what we want and hopefully some lessons were learned. I guess we shall see

Offense improved a lot from 2022. I think we finished Top 35 in points and Top 25 in yards. Dawson did enough to not get fired.
This.

There were several head-scratching moments and an inability to get TVD to perform against zone was the difference between 9-3 and 7-5 but at the end of the day all of the offensive metrics went up by 30+ spots.

Advertisement
Back