Not breaking news, but…

I wasn't enamored with Diaz but the fact is he was effectively fired halfway through his third season. He should have either been given more time or Cristobal should be on the hot seat next season. Not hating on Cristobal but fair is fair. Diaz had a tiny chance of getting the BOT to reconsider if he ran the table and finished on a 7 game win streak. Unfortunately for Diaz we dropped one more so his fate was sealed. And that was coming off an 8-3 shortened season, which almost certainly would have been a 10 win season if we'd stuck to the original pre-Covid schedule (three more cupcakes, no Clemson).

As for recruiting, right now we're praying Cristobal goes portal hunting, which is something that Diaz was demonstrably better at (landing one of the most coveted dual threat QBs in the country was pretty impressive). Diaz fixed his year 1 OC hire and showed he didn't have an objection to high octane offenses. I think he would have picked another spread OC after Lashlee's departure. Diaz was terrible with defense, but I suspect he would have relinquished control of the defense if it meant his job was on the line. This is not a hagiography of Diaz - I just don't see where hiring Cristobal is a clearly superior choice to giving Diaz the 5 million per year that ended up going to Cristobals salary, and telling Diaz to use it to hire the best coordinators and recruiting staff in the country.
Bro I’m sorry you’re forgetting the part that he has been a key member on staff since 2016. So his area of expertise is where we sucked that’s solely on him.

Advertisement
So what is the timline:
- Rumors heat up
- Dawson finds job
- People compare the time it took for Dawson to "leave" vs Gattis
- Mario starts interviewing process
- Coach L distracts fans with bouncing orange ball
- Candle denies Mario a third time as the prophecy reads
- JD catches fan ire for midweek loss
- Mario settles on OC as Bros promise adaptation

Last edited:
So what is the timline:
- Rumors heat up
- Dawson finds job
- People compare the time it took for Dawson to "leave" vs "Gattis"

Can I ride on your Time Machine with you next time?

Advertisement
So what is the timline:
- Rumors heat up
- Dawson finds job
- People compare the time it took for Dawson to "leave" vs "Gattis"
- whale hunting szn begins

I wasn't enamored with Diaz but the fact is he was effectively fired halfway through his third season. He should have either been given more time or Cristobal should be on the hot seat next season. Not hating on Cristobal but fair is fair. Diaz had a tiny chance of getting the BOT to reconsider if he ran the table and finished on a 7 game win streak. Unfortunately for Diaz we dropped one more so his fate was sealed. And that was coming off an 8-3 shortened season, which almost certainly would have been a 10 win season if we'd stuck to the original pre-Covid schedule (three more cupcakes, no Clemson).

As for recruiting, right now we're praying Cristobal goes portal hunting, which is something that Diaz was demonstrably better at (landing one of the most coveted dual threat QBs in the country was pretty impressive). Diaz fixed his year 1 OC hire and showed he didn't have an objection to high octane offenses. I think he would have picked another spread OC after Lashlee's departure. Diaz was terrible with defense, but I suspect he would have relinquished control of the defense if it meant his job was on the line. This is not a hagiography of Diaz - I just don't see where hiring Cristobal is a clearly superior choice to giving Diaz the 5 million per year that ended up going to Cristobals salary, and telling Diaz to use it to hire the best coordinators and recruiting staff in the country.
Not everyone needs to receive the exact same amount of time as the coach to prove themselves. There is context to everything. Depends on the state of the program when they take over and also if they seem to be trending in a better direction or if it appears they have hit a ceiling.
It was obvious that we were not going anywhere with Manny and a change needed to happen. Same with FSU when Willie was there. While I have some issues with Mario and his decisions this year, I see the program improving and recruiting also doing that. So, he should get a longer time but even he has to show an upward path or then a decision needs to happen with him.
But I think with a better QB that doesn't turn the ball over so much, we are 8-1 right now and looking to play for a conference title. And up until this point, I would have also played TVD, but his time is up and another QB needs to play IMO. If Mario doesn't do that, I will not be happy with him even if we win the game. TVD deserves to be benched, but maybe we come back to him at some point.
Mario also got the school and outside people to start to pump more money in, so that is also a point in his favor.

Advertisement
And up until this point, I would have also played TVD, but his time is up and another QB needs to play IMO. If Mario doesn't do that, I will not be happy with him even if we win the game. TVD deserves to be benched, but maybe we come back to him at some point.
Hold on.

So if Mario starts TVD and TVD suddenly plays well enough to beat Miami’s arch-rival, which also happens to be the #4 team in the country, the overall outcome is that you will be upset with Mario?

Steve Urkel Oops GIF

Advertisement
If Dawson leaves good god I don’t even want to think about how **** the quality of OC would be they we’d end up with.

We’d be lucky to get Ferentz son.

I posted about this in the QB transfer thread

Mario and Brian Flores are battling to see who can create the worst reputation for hiring OCs. Mario might win at this rate

Good luck recruiting QBs and WRs then

]
Hold on.

So if Mario starts TVD and TVD suddenly plays well enough to beat Miami’s arch-rival, which also happens to be the #4 team in the country, the overall outcome is that you will be upset with Mario?

On that note, if the impossible were to happen and we beat FSU, I can’t think of a bigger indictment of Mario’s ability as a coach —finishing middle-of-the-pack in the ACC in the same season you beat TAMU, Clemson, and FSU.

Advertisement
I posted about this in the QB transfer thread

Mario and Brian Flores are battling to see who can create the worst reputation for hiring OCs. Mario might win at this rate

Good luck recruiting QBs and WRs then

Fitting that a Miami/Columbus bro will be the actual death of the program.

Advertisement
Back