North Florida vs Miami Game Thread November 29th 2020 at 6 pm on the ACCN

Advertisement
Advertisement
I caught the replay. Happy to have Canes bball back.

I liked the ball movement against the zone. Last year we would just toss it around the perimeter then jack a 3. McGusty has to settle down. I seen a comment about Lykes feeling the comp, but I think its actually Cam who is feeling the heat from the younger guys. Cross looks like he is going to be a player. We will see how he holds up against better teams trying to go at him and bang him. Beverly has to cut down on the turnovers. His iq seems to be lacking. Walker is slept on imo but he has potential to go to the league. The less Miller the better. Brooks is the body to bang that we need although I think Miller has more finesse around the rim. Lykes is still my main man.

Wong is progressing nicely but I seen a comment that said he is the best we had at finishing around the rim since Shane and I think we need to put some respect on Bruce Brown name.

Matt Cross made so many winning type plays I couldn't believe it was his first game. He defends, helps, communicates, and even rebounded tough a few times.

Beverly had one of the most selfish plays I've ever seen when he got a steal, had a dunk to his right and decided to drive right into the chest of a player standing there drinking a Coke. His teammate (believe it was McGusty) was furious. That really stands out to me as a problem within the team when you see something so selfish occurring. Hopefully that's a point of emphasis between games because Beverly has some tools.

McGusty was off the entire game. Just felt like he wasn't focused or was frustrated over role etc.

Brooks does the things you want to see with this team and most importantly he understands his role and wants to play his role and only his role. Sounds simple, but it looked pretty clear to me that we have some players who want their role to be "more" than it is.

Wong really understands angles and how to get the ball to the rim. That will become a little more difficult against more athletic teams with a rim protector, but he really impressed me with his growth in this game.

Walker did some nice things. He has some areas to grow, but he really looked his best playing as a small-5. I'm a big fan of small ball in basketball at all levels these days and he gives us an option we didn't really have last year.

I saw Miller play live in high school and couldn't believe he was a Miami player back then and it's a good sign to me that he can go from being a starter last year to barely playing on this team.

Lykes is always going to have his limitations due to size and shot selection. I hope for the best for him, but really think if we had a smarter player that could start in the backcourt (like maybe Timberlake when he comes back), Lykes would be best suited for a transition/microwave role off-the-bench.

This team is better than last year, but still has a ways to go as a group to really compete for anything more than the bubble. In my opinion.

Advertisement
Matt Cross made so many winning type plays I couldn't believe it was his first game. He defends, helps, communicates, and even rebounded tough a few times.

Beverly had one of the most selfish plays I've ever seen when he got a steal, had a dunk to his right and decided to drive right into the chest of a player standing there drinking a Coke. His teammate (believe it was McGusty) was furious. That really stands out to me as a problem within the team when you see something so selfish occurring. Hopefully that's a point of emphasis between games because Beverly has some tools.

McGusty was off the entire game. Just felt like he wasn't focused or was frustrated over role etc.

Brooks does the things you want to see with this team and most importantly he understands his role and wants to play his role and only his role. Sounds simple, but it looked pretty clear to me that we have some players who want their role to be "more" than it is.

Wong really understands angles and how to get the ball to the rim. That will become a little more difficult against more athletic teams with a rim protector, but he really impressed me with his growth in this game.

Walker did some nice things. He has some areas to grow, but he really looked his best playing as a small-5. I'm a big fan of small ball in basketball at all levels these days and he gives us an option we didn't really have last year.

I saw Miller play live in high school and couldn't believe he was a Miami player back then and it's a good sign to me that he can go from being a starter last year to barely playing on this team.

Lykes is always going to have his limitations due to size and shot selection. I hope for the best for him, but really think if we had a smarter player that could start in the backcourt (like maybe Timberlake when he comes back), Lykes would be best suited for a transition/microwave role off-the-bench.

This team is better than last year, but still has a ways to go as a group to really compete for anything more than the bubble. In my opinion.
That's about the biggest adios I've heard Jim say about a kid (Miller) since he has been at Miami.

Walker looks the part & looks to have a frame to grow into a monster. I'm keeping my eye on him.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back