North Florida vs Miami Game Thread November 29th 2020 at 6 pm on the ACCN

Advertisement
If you're right in your assessments, how come Lykes made pre-season First Team All-ACC? Didn't see anyone else's name from UM on that list.

Advertisement

Good win.

Wong, Brooks, Beverly, Cross & McGusty are our best players, Beverly plays out of control & needs to become a much better free throw shooter, but the raw talent is there.

Said it earlier, really like Wong's game, he's smooth, plays with good BBall IQ & is an efficient shooter, takes really smart high percentage shots & weaves his way to the basket with ease. He's out best player imo, everything should run through him.

Good win.

Wong, Brooks, Beverly, Cross & McGusty are our best players, Beverly plays out of control & needs to become a much better free throw shooter, but the raw talent is there.

Said it earlier, really like Wong's game, he's smooth, plays with good BBall IQ & is an efficient shooter, takes really smart high percentage shots & weaves his way to the basket with ease. He's out best player imo, everything should run through him.

Just curious on your take: you left out Senior (Coach L's allegiance) and pre-season all-ACC Lykes... where do you think he fits in this year (or not?)

Good win.

Thoughts on McGusty?

Just curious on your take: you left out Senior (Coach L's allegiance) and pre-season all-ACC Lykes... where do you think he fits in this year (or not?)
Lykes is a good PG when he doesn't feel like he has to put the team on his back & shoot his way to a victory.

When he's playing as a ball distributor penetrating & dishing vs the Zone & hitting the open man he's at his best.

I think he's a good ACC guard & can make clutch plays when we need him too, just as long as he doesn't get too trigger happy with bad 3's he can be a good floor general for us.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Thoughts on McGusty?
Good athletic swing guard, Coach L should ban him from shooting 3's lol, but he's a good slasher that can attack the basket & score.

He should make his presence felt on Defense & getting after it on the boards, I like that he had 7 rebounds, I hope he makes that a habit because his game is built to be an athletic wing who can run the floor off outlet passes in transition & drive to the hole.

He gives us good depth on the perimeter, with Beverly & Wong.

Good athletic swing guard, Coach L should ban him from shooting 3's lol, but he's a good slasher that can attack the basket & score.

He should make his presence felt on Defense & getting after it on the boards, I like that he had 7 rebounds, I hope he makes that a habit because his game is built to be an athletic wing who can run the floor off outlet passes in transition & drive to the hole.

He gives us good depth on the perimeter, with Beverly & Wong.

Kam is NOT athletic. Far from it. I'm honestly not even sure he can dunk; I've certainly never seen him do it.

Lykes is preseason All ACC, and I commend him for it. But the Canes were horrible in ACC play last season, and Lykes shooting percentage and assists-to-turnovers ratio were among the worst statistically among ACC point guards. Lykes is also a liability on defense. I think it’s a real question whether Lykes is a “true” point guard in the mold of Angel Rodriguez or Shane Larkin, who both led the Canes to 20+ game-winning seasons because they excelled with shooting percentages and assists-to-turnovers under Coach L. I base my opinion on Lykes stats over his first three seasons. I hope Lykes proves me wrong this season, because the Canes will be better for it.

That said, Lykes can provide a spark and he is great when he takes care of the basketball and takes good shots. I would like to see more of that consistently

Last edited:
Advertisement
Lykes is preseason All ACC, and I commend him for it. But the Canes were horrible in ACC play last season, and Lykes shooting percentage and assists-to-turnovers ratio were among the worst statistically among ACC point guards. Lykes is also a liability on defense. I think it’s a real question whether Lykes is a “true” point guard in the mold of Angel Rodriguez or Shane Larkin, who both led the Canes to 20+ game seasons because they excelled with shooting percentages and assists-to-turnovers under Coach L. I base my opinion on Lykes stats over his first three seasons. I hope Lykes proves me wrong this season, because the canes will be better for it.

That said, Lykes can provide a spark and he is great when he takes care of the basketball and takes good shots. I would like to see more of that consistently

Lykes is at his best when he's playing hero ball. He did that a lot last year and it got him on the all ACC team as you said.

The problem is, when you have a guy playing that way, you're usually losing. Since we seem to have a halfway decent roster this year, I doubt we'll see it as much, which means Chris is gonna have to find other ways to contribute.

Throughout his career, he's been a much better shooter off the dribble than off the pass. If he wants to play winning basketball, that needs to change. We don't have many floor spacers on the team, so if he can become a catch and shoot guy, it would open things up for everyone. The early results aren't promising though - he passed up at least 2 open catch and shoot 3s for off-the-dribble 2s, and bricked them both.

Advertisement
Lykes is at his best when he's playing hero ball. He did that a lot last year and it got him on the all ACC team as you said.

The problem is, when you have a guy playing that way, you're usually losing. Since we seem to have a halfway decent roster this year, I doubt we'll see it as much, which means Chris is gonna have to find other ways to contribute.

Throughout his career, he's been a much better shooter off the dribble than off the pass. If he wants to play winning basketball, that needs to change. We don't have many floor spacers on the team, so if he can become a catch and shoot guy, it would open things up for everyone. The early results aren't promising though - he passed up at least 2 open catch and shoot 3s for off-the-dribble 2s, and bricked them both.
Great post. Nailed it. I’ll take it a step further and say if Lykes is all acc this season, this team likely wasn’t as successful as it could have been. You’re exactly right with his success scoring the basketball goes hand in hand with being on 2 very bad clubs.

Lykes is nowhere near a true PG. He wasn't that at Gonzaga HS in DC, and still isn't. People keep trying, because of his height, to pigeon-hole him into that position. He's a "shot first" thinking guard all the way.

If you ask any ACC coach who they DON"T want taking the game winning shot against them, they'd universally say "Lykes." That respect is why they voted him onto the All-ACC First Team.

In terms of his outside shot selection, he's a lot like Allen Iverson was at Georgetown. He'll fire indiscriminately (often missing more than his share) but, when the chips are down, he's your go-to shooter.

Lykes is nowhere near a true PG. He wasn't that at Gonzaga HS in DC, and still isn't. People keep trying, because of his height, to pigeon-hole him into that position. He's a "shot first" thinking guard all the way.

If you ask any ACC coach who they DON"T want taking the game winning shot against them, they'd universally say "Lykes." That respect is why they voted him onto the All-ACC First Team.

In terms of his outside shot selection, he's a lot like Allen Iverson was at Georgetown. He'll fire indiscriminately (often missing more than his share) but, when the chips are down, he's your go-to shooter.
Wong showed big shot making ability last year. But you’re point is absolutely correct.

Advertisement
Back