North Carolina Game Day - Week 6

View as article

Dan E. Dangerously

This board...it's my note
Maude
Miami and UNC take center stage for the nation to see on ESPN in prime time. Get hyped.

14.jpg

Since last summer, UNC has been promoting this game as a blackout that they've named, "Zero Dark Thursday". Get it??? Because the game is on Thursday night, and they're wearing black jerseys!!!!!!!! So clever. Apparently UNC has become one of those, "hey look, we've got 5,000 different uniforms too", schools. This whole fad started permeating across the nation once Oregon started doing it.

15.jpg

Whatever. Lawrence Taylor is a crackhead rapist.

267.jpg

Where: Kenan Memorial Stadium

Who: #10 Miami Hurricanes (5-0) v. North Carolina Tar Heels (1-4)

When: 7:30 pm/et

How:
2.jpg

4 story lines for UM in this game:

1. Can Miami take the crowd out of the game early?
2. Can Miami clean up their recent turnover problems?
3. Can Miami run the ball against UNC?
4. Can Miami's pass rush get to Renner to disrupt their passing game?

Even though UNC is 1-4 this year, their players and fans are going to be jacked up for this game. Being on national TV, combined with the atmosphere of the blackout thing they're doing will make them all pretty hyped up. The smallest of things early on in the game will make the crowd go nuts. So jumping out to an early lead will do a lot to shut them up and make the crowd a non factor.

Another way to help keep the crowd out of the game is to protect the football. We've been good at forcing turnovers all year (16 so far). However lately, we've been the ones turning it over way too much. For the last two games Miami has turned it over 4 times in each game. We won't beat UNC if we do that again.

As a team last year we ran for 180 yards against the Tar Heels, with Mike James accounting for over half of them (96). A couple of weeks ago, UNC held Virginia Tech to under 50 yards rushing (48). Every other opponent UNC has faced has gotten at least 150 yards rushing. ECU, South Carolina, and Georgia Tech all had over 200 yards on the ground. If we can get Duke lathered up and going like he was in our last game against Georgia Tech, you gotta think that we win.

Last year whenever we faced QB's that were traditional pocket passers (even the average ones) they looked like Joe Namath. Chase Rettig, Mike Glennon, Bryn Renner, and Sean Renfree all had enough time to go on the internet to sign up for Obamacare before releasing the ball. Now we have a pass rush with McCord and Muhammed coming off edge with their ears pinned back. It's one of the reasons why we're rated so high in Pass Defense, and It's leading to a lot of the turnovers we've been forcing. Hopefully we can continue that trend.

Last time they met: October 13, 2012

[video=youtube;O08h-qP_XwU]www.youtube.com/watch?v=O08h-qP_XwU[/video]

What we said in our recap:

Me said:
3.jpg

If I told you Miami was going to hold UNC to 18 points, you'd think they would've won. After all, UNC was averaging 44 per game. Instead they fall to UNC 18-14, leaving them 3-1 in the conference (4-3 overall).

The first time all year that our defense shows any life and of course the offense ***** themselves for the 2nd week in a row. The game shouldn't have even been close. UNC kept us in the game with dumb penalties and missed field goals. So god**** frustrating.

Morris couldn't get in a rhythm all game. Bull**** wildcat formations with Mike James at the start didn't help things. Phillip 'Featherstone' Dorsett can't stop dropping passes. To make it even better, Morris tweaked his ankle at the end and we got to see Ryan Williams throw 4 yard passes all over the field...

Man. The good thing about our 5-0 start is that it's allowed me to forget how miserable I can get after losses.

Know your enemy: Tar Heel Blog

What they're saying here:​

Doc Kennedy said:
...3. The effects of the uncertainty and sanctions are now playing out. Brian did a superb job here of laying out the recruiting and attrition that has taken place in the UNC program but the simple truth is the swirl of smoke from the dumpster fire that was UNC football in 2010 and 2011 has finally started to manifest. A number of players in the last few classes simply have not panned out as predicted, and Carolina has had to deal with reduced recruiting classes last year and this one, with one more to go. The most immediate impact is on UNC's depth, or more accurately, quality depth. When players are hurt, or don't pan out, there aren't as many talented guys waiting in the wings. Couple that with the number of players UNC potentially missed out on given the program's uncertainty in 2010 and 2011, and it starts to show in 2013 and 2014....

16.jpg

Cry me a river. Maybe...just maybe, the fact that Butch Davis is no longer your head coach has something to do with your struggles. Trust us. We know from experience.

10.png
Miami Notes

1. The Canes are trying to ignore their top 10 ranking.
2. Miami will be relying on it's pass defense against UNC.
3. UM's passing game is getting back on track.

43.png
North Carolina Notes

1. Some guy got arrested for the UNC agent thing.
2. T.J. Logan is set to make his debut after a string of injuries.
3. The whole state of North Carolina sucks at football.

Favorite North Carolina related Image, Photoshop, Video or Gif:

38.gif

Micanor Regis was the one who took the heat from Golden and the media, but you can tell every Cane in that gif was in on that ****. Notice how Gaines is just laying on that dude to hold him down. Nicolas & Telemaque are just sitting there chillin'...on his legs. Ojomo is walking around like, "Sup guys, who's your favorite Pokemon?" He was a half second too late from completely blocking the punch from the camera. Then everyone gets up at the exact same time acting like nothing is going on. I see you guys.

10.png
Miami Roster Stuff

2 Deep Depth Chart

Miami Injuries
DatePosPlayerInjuryStatus
10/02/13RBEduardo ClementsHamstringQuestionable
10/01/13DBNate DortchFootQuestionable
09/02/13WRRashawn ScottShoulderOut Indefinitely
08/15/13OLDanny IsidoraFootOut Indefinitely
08/15/13OLHunter KnightonShoulderOut For Season

43.png
North Carolina Roster Stuff

2 Deep Depth Chart (PDF: Page 13)

North Carolina Injuries
DatePosPlayerInjuryStatus
10/13/13OLKiaro HoltsUndisclosedQuestionable
10/13/13DBT.J. JilesUndisclosedQuestionable
08/15/13LBNathan StaubKneeOut Indefinitely
08/15/13WRDalton StognerKneeOut For Season
08/15/13DBSam SmileyToeOut For Season
08/15/13LBShakeel RashadKneeOut For Season

Game Day Character:

The Heels will be decked out in black jerseys...I guess there's only one thing left for us to do...

268.jpg

Allons-y

Advertisement
Advertisement
I LOL'ed on the Obamacare comment. What a cluster our defense was last year. What a difference a year makes with great recruiting and development.

here is my only issue

do I parlay by met with the o/u (64)? I want to bet under 64 total points..

do you see us having a 45point game? or UNC scoring 21+ points on us?

Advertisement
Advertisement
If we truly are "back" and Golden is the leader we think he is, this game shouldn't ever be in question.

I don't give a **** about history. Beat these ****ers.

I wont determine our seasons success or the status of the program, however it will tell us a lot if we can get a blowout win here. It will show me that we are closer to elite than good/great. The elite teams get big wins in games like this, I think we get a win but I dont think it will be a game where the backups get a ton of burn. Or look at it like this, I dont think we see Ryan Williams tonight, barring injury. But we get a solid win by more than 10.

Advertisement
I wont determine our seasons success or the status of the program, however it will tell us a lot if we can get a blowout win here. It will show me that we are closer to elite than good/great. The elite teams get big wins in games like this, I think we get a win but I dont think it will be a game where the backups get a ton of burn. Or look at it like this, I dont think we see Ryan Williams tonight, barring injury. But we get a solid win by more than 10.

Your wrong dude, if they beat us, we have to beat FSU and VT and everyone else we play, If we win we can afford to lose to FSU(gulp) and beat VT and everyone else. What am saying is, VT plays no one else the rest of the way other than us. I dont think 6-2 can win the coastal for us as i don't see them losing again if we dont beat them. And we need the tie breaker in case we lose to FSU which is a toss up. But we will know that as we play VT after FSU

Your wrong dude, if they beat us, we have to beat FSU and VT and everyone else we play, If we win we can afford to lose to FSU(gulp) and beat VT and everyone else. What am saying is, VT plays no one else the rest of the way other than us. I dont think 6-2 can win the coastal for us as i don't see them losing again if we dont beat them. And we need the tie breaker in case we lose to FSU which is a toss up. But we will know that as we play VT after FSU

I disagree. If UNC can beat us (I highly doubt they will) I think they could beat VT. I also believe that Boston College and Maryland could beat VT. VT is in the same boat as Maryland, one loss each against Top 5 teams, and wins against sub-par teams.

And Boston College, although with a worse record than Maryland and VT, has played the most improved football since last year outside of us. Addazio appears to be taking that program in the right direction.

I disagree. If UNC can beat us (I highly doubt they will) I think they could beat VT. I also believe that Boston College and Maryland could beat VT. VT is in the same boat as Maryland, one loss each against Top 5 teams, and wins against sub-par teams.

And Boston College, although with a worse record than Maryland and VT, has played the most improved football since last year outside of us. Addazio appears to be taking that program in the right direction.

UNC already lost to VT.

Advertisement
Back