Nobody seems to want to mention [Mario's 2 losses to Utah... again]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
I took a lot from that game. Just looking at Oregon fans message boards said a lot. They were shocked that we were so high on Mario and was surprised we signed him for that much and I agree. What type of coach is he really.
He's a talent stacker with a school that has the history and backyard talent. We haven't had a true talent stacker since Butch (even though some thought we did have that) All the elite programs have talent stackers at HC

Utah physically manhandled Oregon twice. That is a fact. But Oregon stood toe to toe at Ohio State. Injuries played a factor. Motivation in the second game. But the OP does make a good point. But Miami is a different team with different defensive coaches and a much better qb .

Advertisement
But, I’ll go ahead and be the bad guy. I believe Mario will succeed at Miami, he kinda gives me Butch Davis vibes actually. But no one wants to discuss those 2 terrible losses to Utah, I heard people make up excuses saying oh he was on the way out, I call bs. Not saying that’s who he is but what about those bad losses, what’s you guys take on those?
Stfu and enjoy what we finally have. We could be stuck with [Diaz] right now with the 70th ranked recruiting class finish for 2022.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mario is known to be incredibly conservative on offense. In the Northeast it’s a running joke about his draw plays on 3 and 6 time and again. Now that might be because he
lacked confidence in his QB play. Let’s hope he has learned from his mistakes and allows Gattis to open things up.

Mario is known to be incredibly conservative on offense. In the Northeast it’s a running joke about his draw plays on 3 and 6 time and again. Now that might be because he
lacked confidence in his QB play. Let’s hope he has learned from his mistakes and allows Gattis to open things up.
Why is it a running joke in the Northeast??...He never called plays at Rutgers...he was the OL & TE coach there for 3yrs.....unless you meant Northwest...

Advertisement
But, I’ll go ahead and be the bad guy. I believe Mario will succeed at Miami, he kinda gives me Butch Davis vibes actually. But no one wants to discuss those 2 terrible losses to Utah, I heard people make up excuses saying oh he was on the way out, I call bs. Not saying that’s who he is but what about those bad losses, what’s you guys take on those?

I admit it, it was me. I was the one who was afraid to discuss the fact that Mario lost to Utah twice last year. Since everyone had forgotten that Mario lost twice to Utah last year, I was worried that if someone brought up the fact that Mario lost twice to Utah last year, it would create a chain reaction leading to the ultimate demise of the UM football program. You may think this sounds alarmist, but by the time you are done reading you will see just exactly why I was afraid to talk about that Mario lost twice to Utah last year.

First, while perusing CIS one day, Mario would come across a thread discussing that last season, he lost twice to Utah. He would be reminded of the two losses to Utah, and would immediately lose confidence in his abilities as a head coach and as a man (in a similar way to how he lost twice, to Utah). This loss of confidence would then spiral out to our recruiting efforts. Recruits would be able to tell that this was no longer the high-energy alpha that had initially contacted them but a broken, empty husk of a man who lost two times to Utah, and they would spurn us in increasingly high profile and embarrassing ways (for example, by using increasingly, comically large hats for signing day fake outs). When the season arrived, it would then impact our on field performance. Battered by the memory of his two losses to Utah, Mario would devolve into an emotional wreck during games. Like some battlefield commander driven mad by the horrors of war (or a coach who'd been twice defeated by Utah), he would alternate between catatonia and mania, frequently appearing lost or indeed completely unaware of his surroundings. His assistant coaches would desert him before the season even ended, most of 2-deep rotation would enter the transfer portal, and his family (including any pets) would leave him. By the end of the season he would have locked himself in the film room at the IPF, surrounded by glass jars filled with his own urine, as his hair and nails grew untrimmed, barely touching the trays of food left at the door once a day by frightened orderlies. UM, saddled with his massive albatross contract, would have to liquidate most of its assets as well as the Law and Business schools; alumni would watch in horror and humiliation as FIU, MDC, Barry, and even St. Thomas picked like vultures at the carcass of the once proud institution. UHealth would be forced to transition to performing questionably legal Brazilian Butt Lifts just to keep the lights on. Eventually, the City of Miami itself would implode into lawlessness, forcing the federal government to step in and occupy it indefinitely in a last ditch attempt to restore order.

So yes, I may have been afraid to discuss the fact that Mario lost two times to Utah. But as you can see, these fears are not unreasonable. Now that someone has brought up the fact that Mario lost twice to Utah, I can only pray that we as a society are spared the worst effects of discussing that Mario lost twice to Utah.

Advertisement
Hey!! WAIT A MINUTE?

Mario's here now.....Is Utah going to be on our future schedule??

NO!? Not anytime soon.

Does anyone here really know how those two teams matched up? Or the ebbs and flows of the game during those contests?

Sooooooo why should I or anyone other Cane fan give a *** about Mario's record against Utah?

Let the Ducks cry and worry about what Mario's record was against Utah.

Oregon didn't seem to be worried about it....Not at all ...because they wanted him back. BADLY

Mario probably got outcoached in those games.

Mario is still an up and comer if we're talking championship coaches. He really hasn't come very close to winning it all yet. We have to hope he still has upside.

I don't buy the whole its too hard to win in Eugene theory. If Urban could get Utah to 12-0 and ranked #5 in his second year at Utah then it can absolutely be done in Oregon if you're good enough.

There are weaknesses in Marios game. But he's young enough and driven enough that we can hope in a couple of years he's leveled up and is ready to compete with the best coaches.

Advertisement
We have an elite recruiter as head coach and two top names as coordinators. We've had three spring practices with the new staff and someone is fretting over two losses this head coach had at a previous school with a completely different staff and roster.

We haven't played a single game. There is no way a person like this is an actual fan of the Hurricanes. Why even type this out and start a thread for something so ridiculous?

In all honesty...why does this need to be discussed?

He lost two games to the same team, and no it wasn't pretty. It could be said that he was already on his way out, when it comes to the 2nd loss, sure. You are the one who is calling BS, so you should probably explain your theory.

Whatever you want, but please keep your *** away from here with the 'I told you so BS', if Mario loses a game this season.

Since Saban seems to be the measuring stick, take a look at Saban's career, and how he got to where he is now. His career at Mich St., was lackluster to say the least. His best season was his last, one in which he hauled *** before the bowl game to become the LSU HC. The career at LSU was pretty decent, almost comparable to what Mario done at Oregon. The '04 season, would be considered a disappointment by many, considering the Natty in '03, and the losses to Richt at UGA, Auburn and an 'OK' Iowa team.

Mario is where he wants to be, has put together one the best coaching staff's Miami has seen, or the ACC, for that matter. We have a couple of absolute stud QB's, which we haven't seen in a while.

Believe it or not, our biggest hurdle may not even be Nick Saban...it is us. As fans we have one of the most toxic fan bases in all of college football. That has been proven in so many different ways. All fan bases have toxic fans, but we are hands down one of the worst.

Mario is a tremendous option for us, to re-create what we once had. Not to mention we now have an AD that really gives a ****!

Jump on the train...or lay down on the tracks, man. Either way, GTFOH with this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back