NO UM FOR BECKHAM'S NEW STADIUM

How does a private school in Coral Gables, charging $50K per year for tuition, get to play the victim role and complain about SLS greed?

The only way that would work is if the school was crying broke ...

And they can't cry broke, get out of the lease, then go fund a brand new stadium!

I get that we are all fans, and mostly view this from our own perspective. But there has to be some logic to this ...

Leases can get broken when there are financial considerations. But as far as I understand, neither UM or the fans are saying the finances at SLS don't work ... Folks are just saying they would prefer something different ... Something smaller and closer to campus, or to the OB site ... And that's not enough of a reason for Ross to agree to terminate the lease, IMO.

Tad Footeball, the Joe Robbie Stadium lease is just another great decision by Donna Shalala for UM. Why would anyone want to have flexibility? It's always prudent to sign long term agreements. GTFOH! Donna Shalala is the worst thing to ever happen to UM.

Sadly, it also reflects upon the people that remain in power too. Disirregardless of even how one feels about moving to a 40000 seat venue or w/e, we seemingly don't even have the option to consider it as the current admin is too inept/ineffectual to try to force Ross' hand over Shalala's mess. The more things change the more they stay the same.

How would you try to force Ross' hand? He has a lease. I'll hang up and listen.

Leases are broken every day. Political pressure, public opinion pressure, etc. Play the victim and portray Ross' "greed" as preventing UM from ever having a homefield advantage or anything resembling a college or OB-esque atmosphere. Again, this would take an actual effort combined with a modicum of public relations dexterity in conjunction with UM willing to flex some political muscle. None of that has ever been willing to be done in relation to the stadium issue and that doesn't even account for our apparent unwillingness to contribute any money toward anything.

A) That same institution in the Gables you described has done one helluva a job convincing a very large portion of their fanbase and the community that they're cash-strapped when it comes to athletics.

B) While your reasoning is perfectly legitimate in real life, those rationales are all sooooo often thrown out the window when it comes to the construction of new sports venues. In a matchup of public sympathies, I would take a UM that played it right over a Ross trying to enforce a lease. You really think he'd not show some flexibility as opposed to being portrayed as the sole block in UM moving to a "better" facility on the grounds of The OB? The problem still would remain that even him being financially sympathetic probably still wouldn't be enough for the paupers in the Gables.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back