No freshmen starting on D

Canes2800

Freshman
I truly believe our Defense will be top 5 nationally across the board. We have a 5th year senior & two juniors starting on the D-line, three juniors starting at LB, & potentially four seniors (Assuming Dean grabs the opposite CB spot fall camp) starting in the secondary... Under the previous regime we use to overly rely on True freshmen a little too much & now the tide is turning... If Diaz doesn’t try to get too exotic with the blitz packages we should be a championship D & have multiple award winners! The U is BACK! ✋🏽🤚🏽

Advertisement
No freshmen in the top 22:

Jackson -- Patchan
Bethel -- Odenigbo
Willis -- Ford
Garvin -- Djax
McCloud -- Perry
Quarterman -- Jennings
Pinckney -- M. Smith
M. Jackson -- D. Smith
Johnson -- Finley
Redwine -- Carter
Bandy -- Dean

Nesta, Rousseau, Frierson, Ivey, Hall all get brought along slowly.

Miller, Joyner, Blades, Bethel get a redshirt.

Richt did say that ALL FRESHMAN would be 3rd team until after the first scrimmage.

Offense and defense.

Not gonna put them 1st or 2nd team on just recruiting hype and 7-on-7's. Need to see them in a scrimmage situation first.

I'm too **** for this post

Jackson -- Patchan
Bethel -- Odenigbo
Willis -- Ford
Garvin -- Djax
McCloud -- Perry
Quarterman -- Jennings
Pinckney -- M. Smith
M. Jackson -- D. Smith
Johnson -- Finley
Redwine -- Carter
Bandy -- Dean

I'm interested to see how much time Smith spends in outright coverage. He was good there last year, but didn't he gain weight to spend more time closer to scrimmage as Striker? Given that, will he still be one of our 4 best cover guys? IDK. In a perfect world Rousseau gets his feet wet in low pressure, obvious passing situations on the edge, and Nesta gets reps against lower caliber interior units.

Advertisement

Jackson -- Patchan
Bethel -- Odenigbo
Willis -- Ford
Garvin -- Djax
McCloud -- Perry
Quarterman -- Jennings
Pinckney -- M. Smith
M. Jackson -- D. Smith
Johnson -- Finley
Redwine -- Carter
Bandy -- Dean

D smith won't be backup corner unless injuries happen.
Nesta will start soon 👀.
Rousseau will be in the 2 deep undoubtedly.
Pinckney's backup is still a freshman or did you forget about Steed.

More than a couple frosh are going to get meaningful time on D, IMO. Nesta, at least two DBs (Ivey, Blades, Frierson, Hall), and possibly Rousseau.

Jackson -- Patchan
Bethel -- Odenigbo
Willis -- Ford
Garvin -- Djax
McCloud -- Perry
Quarterman -- Jennings
Pinckney -- M. Smith
M. Jackson -- D. Smith
Johnson -- Finley
Redwine -- Carter
Bandy -- Dean

Miller won’t redshirt. He’s got the size, strength, and overall ability to contribute right away. Why redshirt a guy that can contribute, knowing kids leave after 3 years anyway? Throw in the fact it’s at a position of need. The only way he redshirts is if he looks like crap early and the staff feels he absolutely needs to redshirt. They will take advantage of the new redshirt rules and see what all the freshmen can do. In my opinion, Miller just has too many tools to not get work done.

Advertisement
Some freshman will definitely get regular minutes on this defense. But, it is a great point to highlight that while we lost 3 starters along the DL, the guys we have projected to start and be in the 2 deep along the DL are largely grown-*ss men or just undeniably talented.

Gerald Willis -- RS Sr
Demetrius Jackson --RS Sr
Tito Odenigbo -- RS Sr
Scott Patchan -- RS Jr

That's 4 college developed and experience 22+ year olds in the regular DL rotation along with future first round DEs Joe Jackson and Jon Garvin, one of the strongest players on the team in JR Pat Bethel, and 3 hugely talented young DTs - Nesta, Ford, Miller.

Very encouraging.

I think all the freshmen will play bc of the new redshirt rule. Especially in that Savannah State, FIU, Toledo stretch.

This. After LSU the schedule is very favorable for freshmen/inexperienced sophomores to get valuable PT against inferior opponents. All of the starters should be out before halftime vs. Savannah State, who Awful Al beat 77-7 in a shortened game.

FIU could prove somewhat interesting as Butch will likely throw the kitchen sink at us to get some attention.

Jackson -- Patchan
Bethel -- Odenigbo
Willis -- Ford
Garvin -- Djax
McCloud -- Perry
Quarterman -- Jennings
Pinckney -- M. Smith
M. Jackson -- D. Smith
Johnson -- Finley
Redwine -- Carter
Bandy -- Dean

Only one of those gets a shirt

Advertisement
Idk fellers but it looks like me like Miami depth is coming back. It’s absolutely amazing what has been done with this roster in 3 years.

Jackson -- Patchan
Bethel -- Odenigbo
Willis -- Ford
Garvin -- Djax
McCloud -- Perry
Quarterman -- Jennings
Pinckney -- M. Smith
M. Jackson -- D. Smith
Johnson -- Finley
Redwine -- Carter
Bandy -- Dean

Frierson/Ivey/Blades are likely going to surpass Dean.

D Smith plays striker. How's he 2nd string to Jackson? He's a hybrid S/LB.

The secondary has freshman in the 2-deep. Hall's likely going to overtake Knowels as well.

Frierson, Ivey & Blades >>>> Dean.

Dean only played in 7 games last year, had just a little over 70 snaps & finished with 11tcks total. He's not some experienced 5th year Senior that is exponentially better than the incoming Frosh. He didn't at start at Blinn college in Juco, was a rotational corner.

The other 3 CB's are better & have much higher upside than Dean, I said this yesterday but I guess I have to repeat myself, all the experience in the world can't make up for a lack of talent. Dean has some good traits with speed & length, but is a limited Corner that lacks physicality, playing him just to play him is counterproductive.

Both Bandy & Malek Young played significant snaps as True Freshman & it paid dividends for our Defense. Did yall forget the Bandy pick 6 last year? Or Malek's INT in the end zone vs NC St in the 3rd quarter? Would yall rather they had redshirted? Delaney was a 4 year starter with 11INT's at the Citadel & still struggled at Miami.

I understand not relying too heavily on Freshman, especially at QB, OL & DL. But CB is different, TF Corners play a lot at the college level & succeed.

I think the big question in my mind on this issue is can Dean improve to the point where the coaches are more comfortable with him out there. Specifically on being more physical and his tackling.
Talent wise the youngsters may be superior but we have seen players improve after their first year in a system and grow. I think it will be a battle which will make everyone win in the end. Competition is never a bad thing.

Advertisement
Next step is getting all these underclassmen to come back for another year. That is what sets us up for success. One really good class class that has the juniors not go pro and come back, makes a world of difference moving forward. Look at Clemson this year.

I think the big question in my mind on this issue is can Dean improve to the point where the coaches are more comfortable with him out there. Specifically on being more physical and his tackling.
Talent wise the youngsters may be superior but we have seen players improve after their first year in a system and grow. I think it will be a battle which will make everyone win in the end. Competition is never a bad thing.
Tackling for a CB is more about effort than anything, you have to want to do it in order to be good at it.

I agree that competition is a good thing & that's what I hope happens, is a competition for that spot. It shouldn't be handed to Dean based on the fact he has a year in the system, it's not like he killed out there on the field, I mean can you remember a single significant play he made last year?

Part of the reason why we know Bandy is a proven commodity is because he was allowed to prove it as a Freshman, same thing with Young after his freshman year. We knew what we had coming into the following seasons because they proved it on the field.

Imagine if Bandy shirted last year, we wouldn't know what we have with him coming into this year. The only way we're going to find out what we have with Frierson, Ivey & Blades for 2019, is if they play this year as Freshman. Would you rather go into 2019 after MJ leaves with 3 or 4 CB's who've never played, or 3 battled tested Corners with significant snaps?

Those starting defensive tackles are light. Nesta is going to see a TON of time this year. No one is playing as much as McIntosh and Norton did last year.

Advertisement
Back