N'Kosi Perry...Is the too small argument valid?

Yes, I think he is a little too skinny and worry that will effect his durability, and ability to play at a high level late into a season.

But it really has to do with how tough he is. How much he can play through the pain when hit. If he comes off the field a lot like a prima-donna then I don't think he will start.
How would him adding 10 pounds increase his durability and/or toughness?

Are there any scientific studies that would support this idea that a QB adding 10 pounds makes him more durable? Adding weight can make guys stronger, but I haven’t seen any proof that adding weight makes you more durable.

Advertisement
And look how Jacory turned out. I still think that if he had more time to put on weight/develop under a better QB coach he would have been a great QB.

See - Rosier wins 10 games, gets us to the ACC Title Game, yet is a bum. But people be remembering Jacory fondly. He could have never left, bulked up like DeNiro in Raging Bull, and would still be throwing pics.

Rakeem Cato(Miami boy) played 4 years at Marshall, never got hurt(maybe once but don't think he missed any starts), broke a lot of records and won a lot of games. I don't think he weighed over 170-175 lbs at any point. Weight is overrated, especially in a QB. If you're not tough at 180, you won't be tough at 210.

How would him adding 10 pounds increase his durability and/or toughness?

Are there any scientific studies that would support this idea that a QB adding 10 pounds makes him more durable? Adding weight can make guys stronger, but I haven’t seen any proof that adding weight makes you more durable.

I don't get the obsession with this dudes weight, 200 pound range is just fine for a qb. There's been far skinnier cats play the position.

Last edited:
Rakeem Cato(Miami boy) played 4 years at Marshall, never got hurt(maybe once but don't think he missed any starts), broke a lot of records and won a lot of games. I don't think he weighed over 170-175 lbs at any point. Weight is overrated, especially in a QB. If you're not tough at 180, you won't be tough at 210.
Bolded part is precise. Your QB needs to be tough and will have to fight off bumps and bruises whether he's 180 pounds or 240 pounds.

Breaking bones and tearing ligaments happens to skinny guys and bigger guys. If it's your time for a broken bone or torn ligament, then it's your time regardless of whether you're skinny or beefed up.

Advertisement
Weight is irrelevant at the QB position. Is he accurate? Can he move the chains with his feet if need be? Is he a leader? On and on, but who cares what the scale says.

Bigger guys tend to be able to absorb hits a lot better than skinny guys but I hardly think N'kosi adding ten pounds of weight is going to make much of a difference in that regard. He's a thin guy and that's fine. He's been playing football his entire life, it's not like he's never been tackled before college.

Do some of you just not understand about metabolism.

Some people just have a hard time putting weight on when they’re young. Everybody’s different.

When I was in high school, I would have to stuff myself myself to the point of nausea to try to get to 160, closest I could get was 155, with lifting weights, taking powders and supplements, the whole nine yards, it got to where I looked at any food and it made nauseous.

It changes once you get up over 35, lol.
Not if you know what you’re doing.

See - Rosier wins 10 games, gets us to the ACC Title Game, yet is a bum. But people be remembering Jacory fondly. He could have never left, bulked up like DeNiro in Raging Bull, and would still be throwing pics.

Are you ******* kidding me? If Jacory was out there this year he would have won 10 games too. Regardless, I dont have "fond memories" of Jacory. I wanted him gone as much as the next guy. My point was if Jacory wasnt thrown to the wolves early as an undersized QB with no line he would have developed differently. Getting sacked tons of times as a skinny young kid conditions people to force the throw early and caused him to become a pick machine. If Jacory was signed by Richt and had time to develop I think we would be looking at a totally different player.

Advertisement
If anything, I think Perry isn't skinny enough

He's going to have to drop some lbs to get in between those narrow *** running lanes our OL creates

Anybody who watched James Blackman aka Lil Somali Pirate knows that QB weight is important.

Chise, w/r/t Perry, The kid looked like a twig you could snap in two as a HS senior. He doesn't look that anymore and I agree with you that his mass is no longer relevant.

But in general, I do think you need to be careful with freshmen and make sure they're physically ready to play top P5 ball. It's mathematically proven in physics (force and resistance) that more mass holds up better. In football, there are many factors going into who gets injured versus who doesn't, and mass is only one. But I still think it's important to watch it. For example, I think Golden and Coley screwed Duke over vs. FSU by playing him too much and running him into 300 pound All Americans. Same thing with Deon Bush as a Freshman.

Advertisement
Bigger guys tend to be able to absorb hits a lot better than skinny guys but I hardly think N'kosi adding ten pounds of weight is going to make much of a difference in that regard. He's a thin guy and that's fine. He's been playing football his entire life, it's not like he's never been tackled before college.
Based on what?

Advertisement
Not really. I wasn’t going to to take anabolic steroids or HGH at 16.

I’m not saying my situation is the same as Perry’s who’s a few years older. I couldn’t keep the food and all that other shlt down.
I was referring to the over 35 comment. I achieved my best strength numbers at age 55. I’m now 73 and retain over 90% of my best lifts. Nutrition is a key, and it’s way more than the latest gym rumors. My doctor is amazed at me. For me, it’s not genetic, it’s attention to the obvious.

People are too hard on Cory. They forget that he got sacked and otherwise whacked more than any other Miami QB in history. Our OL during those years was atrocious. Despite this, he got up everytime and even played on one leg at one point. He wasn't the best but he was a Cane through and through and he had tons of heart. And hey, he beat FSU at the Doak!

Which brings me to my real point: NKosi's weight won't matter as long as he can avoid getting hit. That's depends on the OL and his mobility in general. He's not at thin as Jacory but it doesn't matter who you are: if you get sacked or otherwise whacked every play, it's gonna take a toll on you, not just physically but mentally. Our OL should be good this year so I'm not too worried.

GO CANES!!

I was referring to the over 35 comment. I achieved my best strength numbers at age 55. I’m now 73 and retain over 90% of my best lifts. Nutrition is a key, and it’s way more than the latest gym rumors. My doctor is amazed at me. For me, it’s not genetic, it’s attention to the obvious.

Good lord, we were talking right past each other. Two completely different things.

You’re really 73 and are lifting 90% of your best lifts? Are you serious? That’s incredible! I hope I can do that when I’m that age. But to be honest, I got stupid in my 20’s with the weights and kind of overcompensated, so I’ll never go back to overlifting weights, but if I can lift 90% of what I can lift now at my age, when I’m 73, that would be insane.

God bless you.

Advertisement
Back