N'Kosi Perry and Mark Richt's Offense (long)

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
The Perry interview thread inspired me to go back and re-re-watch his senior highlight film, paying special attention to the specific ways that Perry's skillset blends with Richt's potential offensive concepts - specifically, various aspects of the RPO, read-option, and the shallow cross/"triangle" offense.

Perry's highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2_qKaRC2s0

Let's talk first about Perry's natural athletic/mechanical QB traits before we get into schemes. The first thing I noticed on a detailed rewatch is how effortlessly he can vary the speed and release point of his throws depending on the need of the play. For example, you can see evidence of his "fastball" with a very compact release at 6:00, 7:36, 7:45, 7:52, 8:41, 9:30, and 12:36 - mainly on slant routes. You can further see how Perry can change his release point - at 8:29 for example - throwing an out route. And again at 14:20, this time taking some of the zip off of the slant to make sure the WR can get to it.

This leads me to my next point - deep ball placement and accuracy. Throws at 2:07, 4:24, 5:30, 9:48, 12:44, and 13:57 all showcase this. What's most impressive to me is that the ball has the same "jump" out of Perry's hands regardless of his throwing base. As a QB "purist" I really like to see a good solid foundation in the feet, shoulders, elbow, etc. for a consistent throwing motion. But the thing about Perry is that he can get the ball to his receiver - with startling accuracy - sometimes completely irrespective of his balance point/base. It's pretty amazing. Upon first inspection it may look like Perry is just playing Scramble Ball, and normally I'd say this kind of play will get a QB into trouble at the next level (and it may yet), but Perry's special ability to vary release points and velocity help to mitigate some of this.

The other thing that has led me away from the whole "Perry is just a backyard QB" narrative is his head and eyes. The play at 1:02 for example is subtly brilliant. It looks like Perry just flings the ball to a wide open man (which he does), but that subtle head fake to the screen is what draws in the CB and opens the play up.

Similarly, you can see additional examples of Perry using his eyes (and feet) to "bait" defenders at 4:01, 4:16, and 6:40.

Basically, N'Kosi Perry is just one of those instinctual, savvy athletic quarterbacks that somehow finds a way to put the ball in the absolute right place at the right time. And even when things break down or don't go well, he's not going to cost you the game (64 total TDs to only 13 total INTs - 56/6 in his last 2 years.)

So now I want to discuss why Mark Richt may be especially excited about what N'Kosi Perry brings to the table, beyond his natural ability.

Check out the plays at 9:37, 10:46, 11:32, 12:58, and 13:10 - these are precisely the screen/slant RPO plays that Richt was running last year with varying degrees of success under Brad Kaaya. Pay particular attention to how quickly and decisively Perry commits to the screen or slant, and how quickly the ball leaves his hand when he makes his decision.

At 3:51, 5:42, 6:54, and 12:25 we can see those elements of the read-option which can be incorporated into the RPO to make it more effective.

The play at 5:50 is especially intriguing. It's eerily similar to a play I highlighted here: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/rpo-thread-coachs-mouth/118528?highlight=rpo with Dakota Watson and Clemson.

One of the things Mark Richt's offenses were known for back at FSU and UGA is what's called the "shallow cross" concept. You can read more about it here: Coach Mark Richt on the Shallow Cross Series | Bleacher Report but essentially, let's say you have 3 WRs/pass-catching options on one side of the field. One runs a hitch/slant, another a shallow cross/out, and the third a deep route of some kind. This is known in Richt's terminology as the "passing triangle" - it gives the QB 3 quick reads in one look. I bring it up here because you can see some of these plays already being run by Perry at 4:55, 5:05, 11:20, and 13:34

So why might Richt be so excited about Perry at QB, whether now or in the future? Beyond his physical gifts and QB savvy, it could be because he's at least in part ALREADY RUNNING RICHT'S OFFENSE.

As always, I welcome any and all discussion!

Last edited:
Advertisement
My first time watching his highlights I was thinking he was a little flat footed and flinging it. I thought, too much air. D-1 DBs will pick him clean. But after a few more views and some nice analysis like this I see he does know what he's doing. We can't see what the DBs see in his eyes. He always puts the ball where it needs to be. This attribute can't be luck. Richt sees something in him. I watched all the Miami vs. FSU games with Charlie Ward. He was a leader. I'm rooting for this kid to come in and start but I still agree with the idea of Rosier or Sheriffs starting and Perry getting reps until week 3. That's when we find out who's the man.

Great post, as usual. This part in particular jumped out at me:

As a QB "purist" I really like to see a good solid foundation in the feet, shoulders, elbow, etc. for a consistent throwing motion. But the thing about Perry is that he can get the ball to his receiver - with startling accuracy - sometimes completely irrespective of his balance point/base. It's pretty amazing.

I've heard people refer to this as having an "athletic arm" and that term fits here. It's one of the reasons Perry reminds me of Teddy Bridgewater. He has natural finesse as a passer combined with smooth, coordinated athleticism.

Both guys were also excellent 7-on-7 players who didn't have the personal QB tutoring of some other top prospects. They learned to play the position by playing and thus have a great feel for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV9vv7QxREM

As a QB "purist" I really like to see a good solid foundation in the feet, shoulders, elbow, etc. for a consistent throwing motion. But the thing about Perry is that he can get the ball to his receiver - with startling accuracy - sometimes completely irrespective of his balance point/base. It's pretty amazing.

I've heard people refer to this as having an "athletic arm" and that term fits here. It's one of the reasons Perry reminds me of Teddy Bridgewater. He has natural finesse as a passer combined with smooth, coordinated athleticism.

Both guys were also excellent 7-on-7 players who didn't have the personal QB tutoring of some other top prospects. They learned to play the position by playing and thus have a great feel for the game.

Is he better than Stephen Morris?

This kid is legit..........he has things u cant teach and the rest is teachable think about that.

Advertisement
Great thread, I'm excited.

The establishment of an effective running game is the #1 key to Us having a successful season.

Would love to see the drag route re-emerge. It used to be a staple of our offense.

The key to the QB competition is and the winner will be whomever plays most efficiently and productively from under center. This skill is becoming a lost art on the amateur football level. Richt wants a QB whose skill set accentuates and brings the whole entire playbook to fruition. He doesn't want. His playcalling options and playbook hindered or handcuffed. The QB who makes his playbook possible wins. QBing from under center is #1 because it disguises the play especially the run and of course lends to playaction, and RPO.

tears of joy

So, if Perry were to win the job from the jump, is it because he's that good, or because the other guys leave something to be desired and our schedule added with a dominating defense means the qb won't be asked to carry the team?

I'm a layperson with this stuff so I'm honestly interested in your opinions.

So, if Perry were to win the job from the jump, is it because he's that good, or because the other guys leave something to be desired and our schedule added with a dominating defense means the qb won't be asked to carry the team?

I'm a layperson with this stuff so I'm honestly interested in your opinions.

It'll probably be a combination of all of the above, though I think Perry has skills that none of the current QBs on the roster possess. I still maintain that the FSU game is when we really know who our starting QB is.

Advertisement
I like highlight videos because you can see all the throws a QB can make on the field, but you can't judge someone solely on that. I want to see how he bounces back after being picked off or how he handles himself when he gets a big hit on him. Moreso if he goes through some cold spells or he shakes it off. I want to see how QBs perform at their worst with the toughest conditions to really see what their made of.

His throwing motion is so effortless. Even when he's putting some zip on a slant, it doesn't look like he's over torque-ing his body to get extra heat on it. He puts just the right amount of air under a deep ball so his receiver can run under it but he's not softly lobbing passes out there even though it almost looks like he is.

Advertisement
Perry game resembles deshaun Watson's quite a bit

He's nowhere near the rusher Watson is. I like D Money's comparison to Bridgewater much better--very similar pocket presence. That's always been my favorite comparison for Perry.

Perry is that dude, plus he can get under center and that's something Kaaya struggled with....

I honestly feel like his highlights in middle/later portion of the clip are more impressive than the ones in the beginning.

I mean 15 straight minutes of solid throws.

Advertisement
It's amazing to me how many times he hits the players right in stride. He also throws away from the coverage quite well. This is a guy who is gonna lead winning drives that we haven't seen here in a while. He has tremendous feel for the game. He doesn't seem to be playing on a team that is just so much better than the other team which makes it hard to gauge a player's ability.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Great post with excellent analysis. The thing is Perry already does certain little things (like looking off corners) that you would usually consider a "veteran move." And DMoney's comparison to Teddy Bridgewater is pretty solid -- that is the dude Perry immediately reminded me of when I was watching his highlights over the last two years.

But to me, the play at :43 might be the best of the bunch. He takes a quick step to the side to avoid the rush, keeps his eyes down field, climbs the pocket, and releases a perfect deep pass. That sort of pocket presence has been sorely lacking the last few years.

It's amazing to me how many times he hits the players right in stride. He also throws away from the coverage quite well. This is a guy who is gonna lead winning drives that we haven't seen here in a while. He has tremendous feel for the game. He doesn't seem to be playing on a team that is just so much better than the other team which makes it hard to gauge a player's ability.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

This is huge. I love when a QB throws a guy open, and facilitates YAC. If he could do that in Richt's offense, the results could be spectacular.

Advertisement
Back