NIL axed for a year in Fla? Did this happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, you're killing me here! We're trying really hard to tiptoe.

I'd LOVE to see that. The problem is we're Miami and we'd get the sht sanctioned out of us.

But if a smaller private school did it, like say Bethune-Cookman, I'd gladly pay for an autographed team photo just to give the NCAA the middle finger and I'd love to see them try shy with a HBCU.

I don't think we'd get sanctioned. If Miami takes the public stance that it is doing it in order to support black and other minority athletes, the NCAA doesn't have the balls to punish the program, especially if FSU, UF, and other programs followed suit in solidarity. School Presidents need to take a stance for right and wrong. What's DeSantis or the NCAA going to do if all the schools in Florida say, "We planned for 2021 and we are sticking with 2021." Apparently members of the legislature must think the NCAA is branch of the federal government. Emmert isn't going to make a move, especially if it puts a spotlight on Miami doing the right thing.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If this turns into a political one party vs the other debate, I’m shutting this off.

Also, let’s find out exactly what happened, and exactly what the remedies are, remember there still two days left in the legislature, before we go off the handle.
VERY unlikely it changes. Legislative calendar alone basically won't allow it to happen, which is the way they want it....well, they gets it...I don't like it anymore than you do...

Never discount the crabs in a bucket motive. Some donor who dislikes DeSantis offers to throw support and ambitious people will take the bait. Besides, the only ones who benefit from this are the NCAA and the smaller market schools with big football programs like Alabama and LSU.

Really? "Crabs in a bucket"?

We live in a state that has elected Chris Dorworth and Joel Greenberg and Matt Gaetz, and even those ****eheads would not risk their future careers by sneaking 2 lines into a bill just to spite the most powerful guy in the state party.

I don't even understand how this crap is (Florida) constitutional, I thought we had a rule for single-subject legislation. Oh, I guess this "amendment" is related to "education", in a very general sense.

But, sure, let's draw the curtain for some more bullcrap P-analytical Theatre. Ronny will act shocked, SHOCKED at this development. He will clutch his pearls for a few moments, and then exit stage left. I don't think that people comprehend that very little political "price" will be paid for this. It's "only" a "one-year delay", the NIL law was not repealed. These kinds of shenanigans (sadly) happen all the time, and I can't even remember the last time (if it has happened at all) that one party was booted out of office for a "one-year delay" in any sort of legislation.

Desantis can veto it and likely will.
I don’t think he will unfortunately. To veto the bill DeSantis would have to veto the whole thing since there there is no line item veto. He can’t just veto the NIL. And the issue is there’s charter school funding part of that bill that he’s been a big supporter of. It’s a lose lose for him.
It’s good to see King, manny Blake james and even though we don’t like them norvell, Milton and people in some power speak out. other schools hopefully malzahn UF and the other schools join in.

with states like bama and Georgia readying to have NiL we cannot fall behind would be a MASSIVE blow

Advertisement
On purpose most Executives (States or US) havent been given line item veto powers over Legislatures. In their [Legislator's] minds, it would give the Executive to much power amd disrupt the status quo of checks and balances.

The federal line item veto, that the US Congress approved, and which was signed into law, was found unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court.

But, hey, OTHER THAN THAT, your post was incredibly accurate...

"Presidents of the United States have repeatedly asked the Congress to give them line-item veto power. Ronald Reagan said to Congress in his 1984 State of the Union address, "Tonight I ask you to give me what forty-three governors have: Give me a line-item veto this year. Give me the authority to veto waste, and I'll take the responsibility, I'll make the cut, I'll take the heat." Bill Clinton echoed the request in his State of the Union address in 1995. Congress attempted to grant this power to the president by the Line Item Veto Act of 1996 to control "pork barrel spending", but in 1998 the U.S. Supreme Court ruled the act to be unconstitutional in a 6–3 decision in Clinton v. City of New York. The court found that exercise of the line-item veto is tantamount to a unilateral amendment or repeal by the executive of only parts of statutes authorizing federal spending, and therefore violated the Presentment Clause of the United States Constitution. Thus a federal line-item veto, at least in this particular formulation, would only be possible through a constitutional amendment. Prior to that ruling, President Clinton applied the line-item veto to the federal budget 82 times."

Uh...no.

He doesn't have a line-item veto.

And he is not going to veto a CHARTER SCHOOL bill, when the legislative session is over.

Hey! Let a man dream!

I'm tryna see players in Florida capitalize on the NIL thing. Nothing more.

What about the Charter schools, tho? DeSantis get too much money from them or something?

If this turns into a political one party vs the other debate, I’m shutting this off.

Also, let’s find out exactly what happened, and exactly what the remedies are, remember there still two days left in the legislature, before we go off the handle.

It's very clear what happened.

Lobbyists got to "staffers" and convinced them that if the effective date was not pushed back, bad things would happen. Know-nothing legislators (who are not even aware that colleges award scholarships, not the NCAA) did the P-analytical Calculus of (Donors + Lobbyists + Vague Fear + Only One More Year) > (Any Blowback + Any Perception Of Hypocrisy).

The "leadership" of the Legislative and Executive branches knew exactly what they were doing and why.

Uh...no.

He doesn't have a line-item veto.

And he is not going to veto a CHARTER SCHOOL bill, when the legislative session is over.

Florida does have a line item veto unless the state specifically changed it for DeSantis. 44 out of 50 states allow their governor some form of line item veto.

"With a narrowing deadline and an uncertain outcome, Florida legislative leaders Wednesday sent the new $82.4 billion state budget to Gov. Rick Scott, as education leaders urge a veto of all or major parts of the spending plan.

Scott has not tipped his hand. But the Republican governor remains angered over the Legislature’s decision to slash spending for economic development and tourism incentives, as well as rejecting his call for $200 million to repair the Herbert Hoover **** around Lake Okeechobee.

“I have a lot of options,” Scott said Tuesday in Orlando. “I can veto it. I can veto a section or any line. I’m still reviewing it.”

Advertisement
Hey! Let a man dream!

I'm tryna see players in Florida capitalize on the NIL thing. Nothing more.

What about the Charter schools, tho? DeSantis get too much money from them or something?

Are you freaking kidding? The "charter school" mafia has been supporting elected officials in one particular party for decades. Google "Betsy DeVos".

DeSantis is not going to veto one of his pet projects, not over a ONE YEAR DELAY.

The federal line item veto, that the US Congress approved, and which was signed into law, was found unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court.

"Presidents of the United States have repeatedly asked the Congress to give them line-item veto power. Ronald Reagan said to Congress in his 1984 State of the Union address, "Tonight I ask you to give me what forty-three governors have: Give me a line-item veto this year. Give me the authority to veto waste, and I'll take the responsibility, I'll make the cut, I'll take the heat." Bill Clinton echoed the request in his State of the Union address in 1995. Congress attempted to grant this power to the president by the Line Item Veto Act of 1996 to control "pork barrel spending", but in 1998 the U.S. Supreme Court ruled the act to be unconstitutional in a 6–3 decision in Clinton v. City of New York. The court found that exercise of the line-item veto is tantamount to a unilateral amendment or repeal by the executive of only parts of statutes authorizing federal spending, and therefore violated the Presentment Clause of the United States Constitution. Thus a federal line-item veto, at least in this particular formulation, would only be possible through a constitutional amendment. Prior to that ruling, President Clinton applied the line-item veto to the federal budget 82 times."
Brace for impact "lawyer"... nice wikipedia cut and paste... my guess is if we go to the wikipefia page...what you put above is word for word... i might be wrong...

a few things...

- It was given, to POTUS 42 in 95-96-ish...
- Struck down by SPLIT decision in I think 98
- The decision, in a nut shell, was over nondelgated powers of the Legislative Branch vs Executive.... some Justices said no violation, enough of them said... can't do it via LEGISLATION, but it can be done via CONSTITUTIONAL ammendment

and people actually pay you real dollars for your advice like professionally?

JFC what a racket you must have going...

Florida does have a line item veto unless the state specifically changed it for DeSantis.

"With a narrowing deadline and an uncertain outcome, Florida legislative leaders Wednesday sent the new $82.4 billion state budget to Gov. Rick Scott, as education leaders urge a veto of all or major parts of the spending plan.

Scott has not tipped his hand. But the Republican governor remains angered over the Legislature’s decision to slash spending for economic development and tourism incentives, as well as rejecting his call for $200 million to repair the Herbert Hoover **** around Lake Okeechobee.

“I have a lot of options,” Scott said Tuesday in Orlando. “I can veto it. I can veto a section or any line. I’m still reviewing it.”

Nope. No. You're wrong.

You are mistakenly omitting the words related to "state budget".

You can cut an EXPENDITURE.

But, unfortunately, this 2-line "amendment" is not an expenditure.

Advertisement
Florida does have a line item veto unless the state specifically changed it for DeSantis. 44 out of 50 states allow their governor some form of line item veto.

And that is the key... not all line item vetos are created equally.... I believe (i could be wrong and am too lazy to look it up) most center on appropriations matters only. In fact, it was that very basis that Federal PAYGO rule sets wete founded...it was always threatened that it [PAYGO] would get challenged in SCOTUS, but never made it there and it has been in-place since POTUS 42.

Advertisement

I did look it up... and as predicted... this genius cut and pasted WORD FOR WORD from wikipedia...

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

while you are at, maybe go to Epicurios mag and cut and paste a donut recipe for us???

FFS... but hey, other than that, you must play a lawyer on TV... douche.

At least TRY TO HIDE using wikipedia if you are goung to sound smurtz inz stuffz... muppet...

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I dropped my phone laughing so hard...

Brace for impact "lawyer"... nice wikipedia cut and paste... my guess is if we go to the wikipefia page...what you put above is word for word... i might be wrong...

a few things...

- It was given, to POTUS 42 in 95-96-ish...
- Struck down by SPLIT decision in I think 98
- The decision, in a nut shell, was over nondelgated powers of the Legislative Branch vs Executive.... some Justices said no violation, enough of them said... can't do it via LEGISLATION, but it can be done via CONSTITUTIONAL ammendment

and people actually pay you real dollars for your advice like professionally?

JFC what a racket you must have going...

You are an ignorant clown.

You claimed a "reason" why the line-item veto was "not given" in states or the US government.

BUT YOU WERE WRONG.

THIS IS WHAT YOU WROTE:

"On purpose most Executives (States or US) havent been given line item veto powers over Legislatures. In their [Legislator's] minds, it would give the Executive to much power amd disrupt the status quo of checks and balances."

But I just proved you wrong. The federal legislature (and 43 states according to Reagan) DID give "the Executive" the line item veto, regardless of your false claim that they "on purpose" would not give such power due to "disrupting the status quo of checks and balances".

As a SEPARATE ISSUE, the US Supreme Court struck down the FEDERAL line item veto, though the line item veto still exists in most states. FOR DECADES.

So, of course, your post was WRONG. Absolutely false. But other than that, it was great.

You are an ignorant clown.

You claimed a "reason" why the line-item veto was "not given" in states or the US government.

BUT YOU WERE WRONG.

THIS IS WHAT YOU WROTE:

"On purpose most Executives (States or US) havent been given line item veto powers over Legislatures. In their [Legislator's] minds, it would give the Executive to much power amd disrupt the status quo of checks and balances."

But I just proved you wrong. The federal legislature (and 43 states according to Reagan) DID give "the Executive" the line item veto, regardless of your false claim that they "on purpose" would not give such power due to "disrupting the status quo of checks and balances".

As a SEPARATE ISSUE, the US Supreme Court struck down the FEDERAL line item veto, though the line item veto still exists in most states. FOR DECADES.

So, of course, your post was WRONG. Absolutely false. But other than that, it was great.

Still one full day left in the session. It's two lines in the bill. DeSantis can veto, send it back, and it can get re-voted on as quickly as they did it the first time before COB tomorrow.

I did look it up... and as predicted... this genius cut and pasted WORD FOR WORD from wikipedia...

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

while you are at, maybe go to Epicurios mag and cut and paste a donut recipe for us???

FFS... douche.

Your whole "say the other guy does what I actually did" is tired and stale.

I never said I didn't cite Wikipedia. I did. But it is factual and correct, unlike you.

And try to go back and find me yapping about donuts. I didn't. But I can absolutely post links to YOU going on and on about Duck Donuts.

You're a fraud.

1619724555969.png

1619724591347.png

1619724658901.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back