NIL axed for a year in Fla? Did this happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
This was set up to make sure it went through. Now the question is who's behind it and can it be proven?

So this *** A-hole, Hutson, snuck in a change at the 11th hour to prevent college players from benefiting from free market capitalism for another year??? F#ck that guy. I haven't voted *** in a long time but I'm going to remember this next election day. You want to ban me for bringing up the P-word? Fine, I'll take the ban. F#ck that guy.

america finger GIF

It's not just Hutson. The article clearly specifies that "leaders of both houses" agreed. And both houses are controlled by one particular party.

It's the typical hypocrisy. The SPEAKER OF THE FLORIDA HOUSE just popped off last week about "Florida not being bullied by the NCAA", and then a week later he offers up his ****** for penetration.

You can see the legislative cowardice and idiocy in the quote in the article, "we don't want our athletes to lose their scholarships from the NCAA". Which, of course, IS NOT HOW IT WORKS. The colleges give those athletes scholarships, not the NCAA. The only thing the NCAA can do is rule the players ineligible, but the next step would be to get an injunction (which Memphis did with James Wiseman).

And it would be FAR MORE LIKELY for Florida/Florida universities to get temporary AND permanent injunctive relief in this situation than it was in the Wiseman case.

Look at that elected pvssy, yapping about "if we could just get Emmert's guidance in writing, it would give us relief".

For the record, @TimeBum , nobody is asking you to change your party affiliation. But in a 2-party system, the only way to vote those in power out is to vote for the other party ONE TIME. You can always revert back to the other party the next time around.

Clearly, the elected officials in one party, the party with the veto-proof majority, don't think there will be any ramifications from their hypocrisy and cowardice.

It's not just Hutson. The article clearly specifies that "leaders of both houses" agreed. And both houses are controlled by one particular party.

It's the typical hypocrisy. The SPEAKER OF THE FLORIDA HOUSE just popped off last week about "Florida not being bullied by the NCAA", and then a week later he offers up his ****** for penetration.

You can see the legislative cowardice and idiocy in the quote in the article, "we don't want our athletes to lose their scholarships from the NCAA". Which, of course, IS NOT HOW IT WORKS. The colleges give those athletes scholarships, not the NCAA. The only thing the NCAA can do is rule the players ineligible, but the next step would be to get an injunction (which Memphis did with James Wiseman).

And it would be FAR MORE LIKELY for Florida/Florida universities to get temporary AND permanent injunctive relief in this situation than it was in the Wiseman case.

Look at that elected pvssy, yapping about "if we could just get Emmert's guidance in writing, it would give us relief".

For the record, @TimeBum , nobody is asking you to change your party affiliation. But in a 2-party system, the only way to vote those in power out is to vote for the other party ONE TIME. You can always revert back to the other party the next time around.

Clearly, the elected officials in one party, the party with the veto-proof majority, don't think there will be any ramifications from their hypocrisy and cowardice.
It also sets up an opportunity to bash DeSantis. If he vetoes, then he hates kids and charter schools, if he doesn't he hates athletes, many of whom are minorities. This was done with purpose. I say veto it and take their victory from them by naming names and explaining why.

Advertisement
Let’s hope so.

I don't think some people are dealing in reality right now. They have this fairy-tale idea that a hunky elected official is going to sweep in and save the day.

He just got EXACTLY WHAT HE WANTED in the Charter School bill, and the legislative session is over (and Florida has a notoriously short legislative session).

There is no way in **** he is going to veto this over 2 lines and a 1 year delay.

DOES ANYONE HONESTLY THINK THAT HUTSON DID THIS WITHOUT DESANTIS KNOWING ABOUT IT? Yeah, a guy in power with ambitions for higher elective office is just going to try to sneak this through without his kingmaker being any the wiser?

I'm sure there's no paper trail, but if people think DeSantis didn't know about this in advance, there is plenty of swampland in this state that I can sell to them.

It also sets up an opportunity to bash DeSantis. If he vetoes, then he hates kids and charter schools, if he doesn't he hates athletes, many of whom are minorities. This was done with purpose. I say veto it and take their victory from them by naming names and explaining why.

Yeah, no. This is not about "bashing DeSantis". One party holds nearly all of the elective power in this state. I just posted that it is INSANE to think that this is something DeSantis "did not know about" in advance.

No d!ckweed state senator is jumping out of line to pull this petty crap behind DeSantis' back, as such a move would effectively end his career. You think a state senator of his own party is setting up a legislative Sophie's Choice to ensnare DeSantis? Hilarious.

"Naming names"...here's Name Number One: Ronald Dion DeSantis.

Yeah, no. This is not about "bashing DeSantis". One party holds nearly all of the elective power in this state. I just posted that it is INSANE to think that this is something DeSantis "did not know about" in advance.

No d!ckweed state senator is jumping out of line to pull this petty crap behind DeSantis' back, as such a move would effectively end his career.

"Naming names"...here's Name Number One: Ronald Dion DeSantis.
Never discount the crabs in a bucket motive. Some donor who dislikes DeSantis offers to throw support and ambitious people will take the bait. Besides, the only ones who benefit from this are the NCAA and the smaller market schools with big football programs like Alabama and LSU.

Advertisement

Since Miami is a private university and isn't dependent on the state for money, I wonder if Diaz can say, "Our program is moving forward with the NIL in 2021 as planned. If the state or the NCAA wants to penalize us, bring it. We aren't going to wait on double-dealing politicians to do the right thing." Diaz understands politics, his dad his was a Dem mayor- there is no chance DeSantis is going to go after UM for embracing capitalism and risk all those Cuban republican votes in S Fl. NCAA isn't going to do anything either- it's embarrassed itself enough already. If a law is unjust, you have a moral duty to fight it.

It was a mistake imo to have De Santis give the speech about NIL on our campus. The smoke is out there about who might be committing and who we’re after.
Huge donation checks coming into these mfers accounts.

"In an interview on Thursday morning, Hutson says leaders of each of Florida’s chambers agreed to insert the NIL change into the amendment based on information from the Florida legislature’s education staff."

I'm not sure what people don't understand about this. Sure, Hutson is getting all the heat, but MULTIPLE PEOPLE made this sausage, not just one random guy. And now some people would have us believe that MULTIPLE LEADERS of one particular party ALL tried to pull the wool over Poor Old Innocent Naive Ron DeSantis' eyes, effectively ending MULTIPLE elective careers...

Hilarious.

There's a zero percent chance Emmert will do anything at all. Instead of ******** over athletes, why not insert language making it illegal for sanctioning bodies to fine athletes who were in compliance of the state law?

This is total garbage. NCAA policies do not have the weight of government law nor can they subordinate them under any circumstances.

There is something rotten in the heart of Denmark...this guy didn't act alone.... some group is driving this...

Advertisement
Since Miami is a private university and isn't dependent on the state for money, I wonder if Diaz can say, "Our program is moving forward with the NIL in 2021 as planned. If the state or the NCAA wants to penalize us, bring it." Diaz understands politics, his dad his was a *** mayor- there is no chance DeSantis is going to go after UM for embracing capitalism and risk all those Cuban *** votes. NCAA isn't going to do anything either- it's embarrassed itself enough already.
Dude, you're killing me here! We're trying really hard to tiptoe.

I'd LOVE to see that. The problem is we're Miami and we'd get the sht sanctioned out of us.

But if a smaller private school did it, like say Bethune-Cookman, I'd gladly pay for an autographed team photo just to give the NCAA the middle finger and I'd love to see them try shy with a HBCU.

Since Miami is a private university and isn't dependent on the state for money, I wonder if Diaz can say, "Our program is moving forward with the NIL in 2021 as planned. If the state or the NCAA wants to penalize us, bring it." Diaz understands politics, his dad his was a Dem mayor- there is no chance DeSantis is going to go after UM for embracing capitalism and risk all those Cuban republican votes. NCAA isn't going to do anything either- it's embarrassed itself enough already. If a law is unjust, you have a moral duty to fight it.

It's not about "state money", it's about STATE LAW.

Currently, with the amended effective date, it is still against the law (in Florida) to allow these athletes to profit from NIL.

DeSantis is worthless and moot in this particular discussion. All Emmert has to say to Miami is "are you following the current Florida law" and the game is over.

Again, let me point this out:

"However, NCAA president Mark Emmert told a group of athletes earlier this month that he would not punish athletes who earn NIL compensation by following their state law."

Game over, man, game over.

"In an interview on Thursday morning, Hutson says leaders of each of Florida’s chambers agreed to insert the NIL change into the amendment based on information from the Florida legislature’s education staff."

I'm not sure what people don't understand about this. Sure, Hutson is getting all the heat, but MULTIPLE PEOPLE made this sausage, not just one random guy. And now some people would have us believe that MULTIPLE LEADERS of one particular party ALL tried to pull the wool over Poor Old Innocent Naive Ron DeSantis' eyes, effectively ending MULTIPLE elective careers...

Hilarious.
IT would only end their careers if it didn't work. Donors make the calls.

Advertisement
This is total garbage. NCAA policies do not have the weight of government law nor can they subordinate them under any circumstances.

There is something rotten in the heart of Denmark...this guy didn't act alone.... some group is driving this...
My granny was Danish and she used to say this.....;)

I was just reading about this, to veto the bill, DeSantis would have to veto the whole thing, there is no line item veto.

There’s other important legislation in there like charter school funding etc, that I guess they all really want to pass. And the state legislature is done in two days. They disband and then it will be too late.

Can they resubmit this bill in time to pass it if they remove the offending and NIL line? This thing looks like a mess, they may not be able to change it.
On purpose most Executives (States or US) havent been given line item veto powers over Legislatures. In their [Legislator's] minds, it would give the Executive to much power amd disrupt the status quo of checks and balances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back