Nike deal

In fairness, the Zoom Ibis was due to some legal issues. Regardless, wasn’t a fan of a zooming Ibis, either. And I’ve said to ad nauseam, pls stop blaming Nike for the FAMU combo. That was never presented. The coaches were in change of uniform combinations, so The FAMU combo was alllllllllllllll Golden.
I know a guy who worked on the equipment staff under Golden. The uniform color choices were chosen by the players. He told me they were wearing the orange/orange combo against UF in 2013 and I almost cried

Advertisement
Nah I think they looked good in any color way and with the pants, it was a good combo.

The ones right after (Jacory/Marve years) were bad

Those uniforms were great except they should have brought the shoulder stripe should have gone down the rib cage to meet the stripe on the pants.

Going across the back like they did looked awful.

I don’t get the hate for the “unibrows”. They were cut really well and the stripes were innovative and unique.

Most of the fans will complain about anything other than the traditional three stripes. If we didn’t win big in the early 2000s, people would hate those uniforms too.

i imagine even if and when we go back to Nike, michigan will always have more offerings than us just bc they have a much bigger brand

Sure.

But EIGHT non-post-season items for Miami on the adidas website?

And the weird part is that Nike/adidas are pulling back merch from the "Foot Lockers" and "Kohls" of the world and trying to sell their own stuff on their own online sites. So why adidas only has EIGHT Miami Hurricanes items...is just beyond my comprehension. It's insane.

I would love to know how adidas actually feels about college football.
I still don’t feel that they as a foreign company actually realize the scope and cultural significance of the sport. I also feel like adidas doesn’t grasp the importance of player and team sponsorship the way Nike does.
As a matter of fact I wonder how they feel about any American sport in general.

A company that hasn’t managed to sign any transcendent athlete of any major American sport despite them being a major brand is highly questionable.

Mj
Shaq
Kobe
Curry
Giannis

Mahomes is an exception but he signed with them before he even started a game.
Brady
Rogers

Christiano Ronaldo
Ronaldiño
The first Ronaldo
Maradona
Mbape

Adidas imo has thrived by sheer coincidence and luck.

Kanye gave them a huge boost.

Run-DMC boosted sales

And if it wasn’t for Messi they would be tanking even more in soccer cleats sales that are now dominated by Nike.

The Balon D’or is the yearly award given to the worlds best soccer player.
In the past 25 years only 3 players that won the award were not sponsored by Nike.

Adidas can’t even take care of their own sport.

The problem I see with Nike is that they are so dominant that they may not GAF about any team that isn’t a perennial playoff contender.

The fact that they got outbid by adidas for UM’s endorsement is what I’m talking about.
Ain’t no way Nike is gonna get outbid by adidas for Alabama.
And rk after the season we just had we have no traction to muscle adidas for more money or entice Nike into a bidding war.

If you want to see how Nike comes in and takes over here are the highlights for the 1990 and 1994 World Cup.
The 90 World Cup had Germany and everyone on that team wore adidas.
But Argentina was a mush mash of different brands

In contrast the 94 World Cup final had almost everybody wearing a swoosh.

Nike got in gear and sponsored the best players and the best teams prior to the World Cup because they saw the potential and knew it was a huge free advertisement campaign.

Advertisement
Sure.

But EIGHT non-post-season items for Miami on the adidas website?

And the weird part is that Nike/adidas are pulling back merch from the "Foot Lockers" and "Kohls" of the world and trying to sell their own stuff on their own online sites. So why adidas only has EIGHT Miami Hurricanes items...is just beyond my comprehension. It's insane.
Nike actually is putting way more money into their own stores (they’re opening really nice stores in high end malls and making them look and feel high end). They just never sell team gear there

Here is what is ****ed up.

You do the search on adidas, and it says 38 items.

Then you click on it, and it's 28 items.

Then you look and TWENTY of the 28 items are related to the basketball post-season. 18 t-shirts and 2 hats.

That leaves EIGHT items that are non-post-season UM merchandise...

NOW GO BACK AND LOOK AT THE NIKE SEARCH FOR USC AGAIN. None of the USC merch is post-season. None of it.

And I don't want to hear "but it's the off-season" any longer. The rise of Fanatics.com and other websites means you can sell university merch all year long. And you know who buys college merch in May? People who are buying high school graduation presents!

Did u see those two hats were sold out? Lol

Nike actually is putting way more money into their own stores (they’re opening really nice stores in high end malls and making them look and feel high end). They just never sell team gear there

Yes sir, that is correct. I've been to the Nike store in Ponce City Market (ATL) and I'm probably not buying anything there, they just have the high-end stuff and are really not tailored to the colleges.

On the other hand, when you get into a campus bookstore...now you're talking...

Advertisement
Just like TV, new deals will involve a mix of companies. On our new deal don’t be surprised to see Nike and LuLu.

Advertisement
I still don’t feel that they as a foreign company actually realize the scope and cultural significance of the sport. I also feel like adidas doesn’t grasp the importance of player and team sponsorship the way Nike does.

A company that hasn’t managed to sign any transcendent athlete of any major American sport despite them being a major brand is highly questionable.

Mj
Shaq
Kobe
Curry
Giannis

Brady
Rogers

Christiano Ronaldo
Ronaldiño
The first Ronaldo
Maradona
Mbape

Run-DMC boosted sales

And if it wasn’t for Messi they would be tanking even more in soccer cleats sales that are now dominated by Nike.

In the past 25 years only 3 players that won the award were not sponsored by Nike.

The problem I see with Nike is that they are so dominant that they may not GAF about any team that isn’t a perennial playoff contender.

The fact that they got outbid by adidas for UM’s endorsement is what I’m talking about.
And rk after the season we just had we have no traction to muscle adidas for more money or entice Nike into a bidding war.

If you want to see how Nike comes in and takes over here are the highlights for the 1990 and 1994 World Cup.

Nike got in gear and sponsored the best players and the best teams prior to the World Cup because they saw the potential and knew it was a huge free advertisement campaign.

Adidas also signed Kobe originally but once he blew up Nike offered him a much more lucrative contract.

Personally, I have a ton of Adidas shoes but I don't care for their athletic gear or sneakers. My gym shoes are usually Asics or Nikes. Adidas kills the street wear/casual shoe market IMO but their athletic shoes don't do much for me. The only thing they've done with Miami that I really love is the 2016-current uniforms. I love the clean, classic style way more than any of the goofy trend chasing stuff.

Adidas also signed Kobe originally but once he blew up Nike offered him a much more lucrative contract.

Personally, I have a ton of Adidas shoes but I don't care for their athletic gear or sneakers. My gym shoes are usually Asics or Nikes. Adidas kills the street wear/casual shoe market IMO but their athletic shoes don't do much for me. The only thing they've done with Miami that I really love is the 2016-current uniforms. I love the clean, classic style way more than any of the goofy trend chasing stuff.
My only opinion in this argument is for who is gonna go above and beyond just a paycheck and some gear.

Yes adidas and Nike can both pay. But who’s gonna give you more bang for their buck.
What other factors come into play besides money.

New training and technology?
Marketing?
Exposure and networking?
Nutritional advancements?

I’ll give you a comparison for example.
My friend is a professional musician and his specialty is latin percussion.
He has been with the major producer of latin percussion instruments for almost 20 years now.
The company is called “Lp Music” and it obviously stands for latin percussion. I’ve known several percussionist that have signed with them.

But news flash: a lot of their products aren’t as good as some of the competition when it comes to sound quality. But lp has the market cornered.

In his words “if I’m on tour in Africa and my bags get lost or didn’t make it on the connecting flight I can go into any music store and they will have lp gear. I make a call and they’ll get in contact with the store and I’ll get whatever I need. No “I’ll reimburse you later” or “you can only get this or that”. Whatever I want from the store I get it.
Nobody else will come close to that”
And he’s not even close to being the most famous percussionist they have under contract.

In short I want more than just money for the school.
Who’s gonna be there for you as a company and give you everything they have at their disposal.

I want what Bama and Oregon have. I want more than just a closet and a trailer full of gear.

Mj
Shaq
Kobe
Curry
Giannis

Brady
Rogers

Christiano Ronaldo
Ronaldiño
The first Ronaldo
Maradona
Mbape

Run-DMC boosted sales

Adidas has always been a major soccer brand and they’ve “survived” because they make quality gear, not just pure luck. David Beckham signed a lifetime contract with Adidas.

FWIW, Adidas actually did sign Kobe from 1996-2002 (when he was drafted); however, he later paid them 8 million to get out of the deal. Nike will always be the go-to shoe brand for the NBA.

I will never own a pair of Nike soccer cleats because they’re too **** narrow.

Nike just has way more $$$$ and spent it wisely. In 1996, they paid Brazil a ton of money ($200m reportedly) for a 10-year contract which was the most lucrative deal at the time between a national team and a brand. Takes $ to make $!

Brazil has renewed ever since and the contract comes to an end in 2026. IMO, it was a very smart move and great investment for Nike to pay one of the best and most recognizable soccer teams in the world. If you’re going to get into the soccer market, pay the best to wear your stuff.

Nike is definitely the biggest brand in the world and in North America (NFL and NBA) where Adidas are the biggest in Europe (soccer).

Advertisement
Adidas has always been a major soccer brand and they’ve “survived” because they make quality gear, not just pure luck. David Beckham signed a lifetime contract with Adidas.

FWIW, Adidas actually did sign Kobe from 1996-2002 (when he was drafted); however, he later paid them 8 million to get out of the deal. Nike will always be the go-to shoe brand for the NBA.

I will never own a pair of Nike soccer cleats because they’re too **** narrow.

Nike just has way more $$$$ and spent it wisely. In 1996, they paid Brazil a ton of money ($200m reportedly) for a 10-year contract which was the most lucrative deal at the time between a national team and a brand. Takes $ to make $!

Brazil has renewed ever since and the contract comes to an end in 2026. IMO, it was a very smart move and great investment for Nike to pay one of the best and most recognizable soccer teams in the world. If you’re going to get into the soccer market, pay the best to wear your stuff.

Nike is definitely the biggest brand in the world and in North America (NFL and NBA) where Adidas are the biggest in Europe (soccer).
MLB is nike too I believe

Thinking out loud since we made the switch to Adidas in 2015, from 2015-present, Adidas has provided the following Shoes:

-Ultra 4D Boost
-Ultra Boost
-Ultra Boost 21 Miami
-Ultra Boost 1.0 (Miami Orange)
-Ultra Boost 1.0 (Miami Cloud)
-Top 10 Hi
-ZX5000
-Supernova

Meanwhile Nike since 2015:
-Nike Air Barrage Miami Hurricanes
-Nike Huaraches Miami Hurricanes
-Nike Dunk Low Miami
-Nike Dunk SBs Miami
-Nike Air Max 97 Hurricanes
-Solefly Jordans
-Jordan High Zoom CMFT

I love my Ultraboosts and would classify them as athletic shoes.

Advertisement
Back