Nigel Bethel

Ernie McCracken

Thunderdome
Orlando Sentinel : Miami commit Nigel Bethel solid with 'Canes but would entertain Georgia offer

Miami commit Nigel Bethel, a 5-foot-9, 175-pound cornerback from Miami Booker T. Washington, said he is solidly committed to the Hurricanes, but an offer from Georgia might change that.

Bethel was talking about his future Saturday night after BTW defeated Jacksonville Bolles 40-21 to win the Florida Class 4A state title, also clinching the mythical national title for the Tornadoes, who were ranked No. 1 in the country by at least seven different media outlets.

Bethel, who changed his name from Nigel Patten when he turned 18 this past spring, is intrigued by Georgia and the Bulldogs just might come calling.

"I'm pretty much solid to Miami, but Georgia's been talking to me lately and so if they pull the trigger I'll give them some interest," Bethel said. "Georgia and Miami have been my dream schools coming up, so to get an offer from them would be a very big deal."

Pictures: UCF Knights vs. Rutgers Scarlet Knights

Bethel, however, said just because the Bulldogs offer, doesn't mean he'll be flipping the switch. He's firm with his hometown Hurricanes, but intrigued by what Georgia my have to offer. He said his only official visit will be to Coral Gables for the weekend of Jan. 16, but if UGa does offer, he'll also trip to Athens.

"It would be very difficult, because I already have my mind set on Miami," Bethel said of the odds that Georgia could flip his commitment. "If they are going to get me then they got to do a lot of recruiting. It would have to be a better position for me than what I already got at Miami."

Bethel wasn't as ecstatic as the rest of his teammates following the Tornadoes third straight trip to the state title game, and second straight state championship victory. He wasn't very pleased with the way he played in his final high school game.

"I feel very blessed, but I feel like today my performance wasn't as great as it should have been," Bethel said. "It's very bittersweet ... but I'm happy for my teammates and everybody else."

He'll be heading separate ways from many of his BTW senior teammates now, with the exception of defensive ends Chad Thomas and Demetrius Jackson, who are both also committed to Miami.

Quarterback Treon Harris is headed to Florida State, receiver Lamar Parker to West Virginia, receiver Deltron Hopkins to Appalachian State, offensive lineman Jordan Ingraham to FIU, athlete Krondis Larry to Samford and still others who have yet to pick a college.

"It's going to be very hard," Bethel said. "Guys like me, Lamar Parker, Treon Harris, Terrawn McPhee ... I grew up with those guys. Now it's time for us to part ways and it will be very tough knowing all of us are going different ways in life."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...-recruited-by-georgia-20131209,0,7063164.post

Advertisement
Nigel Bethel II ‏@_NigelBethel 4m
My decision is my decision I have to live with what I do, what's best for you guys isn't always best for me.

Nigel Bethel II ‏@_NigelBethel 1h
Just got off the phone with Georgia secondary coach Scott lakatos....hopefully they will offer soon
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
IGN ‏@

wtf i dont want to lose Chad Thomas. Also, demetrius. Nigel is a kid that was promoting miami. maybe he used us to get his stock up. he did decide not to ee so he can run track.

Advertisement
4 minutes ago. I wonder how many of yall have GF's because you guys are super possessive and stalkerish.

What happened to the Nigel that was a hero a couple months ago? This dude's looking to do a Hulk Hogan heel turn.

Its about that time of year for the BTW kids to start turning tail on Miami and heading elsewhere. First Jackson, now Bethel. I guess Chad is next?

Advertisement
This is the time of year when the SEC's schools checks clear and get cashed by their coaching staffs to flip committed kids.

Advertisement
Nigel's like that dude who is all in on his chick until a chick that he thinks is hotter smiles at him. Up until now, the only chicks looking at him besides UM have been pigs.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back