Nigel Bethel Jr

He was a kid that probably needed a couple years to hone skills at CB and get stronger but will probably contribute on specials.

Advertisement
Yea he definitely playing this year, maybe a small role like DJ Ivey played last year.
Couch has to RS at 150 lbs and we need 5 corners on game day.

Bruh... you cant be serious. They will get bigger over time. Most CBs ain't walking into a program at 185+ already. They LEAVE that weight just like every other college athlete lol
That doesn't change anything for this season. I said 50% of our CB's are going to be well undersized. That's a fact. Couch and Bethel may grow into whatever. The CB room could use another body. Now, if Bethel fills out then maybe he can contribute. I haven't seen him since the season. Couch looks way too skinny to be playing on anything other than passing downs.

Advertisement
Yea he definitely playing this year, maybe a small role like DJ Ivey played last year.
Couch has to RS at 150 lbs and we need 5 corners on game day.
This is my point exactly. We are one injury away from issues at CB. I expect the portal to come into play after the spring here.

This is my point exactly. We are one injury away from issues at CB. I expect the portal to come into play after the spring here.
How many cbs y’all suspect we are supposed to have in terms of depth? We have played the last 3 seasons with

4(young, Elder, Colbert , redwine
Colbert was hurt for multiple games

5 cbs
Bandy
Jackson
Young
Delaney(he was hurt some games)
Dean sparingly

Bandy
Jackson
Dean
Our 4th corner barely played much(but I believe ivey or blades played the most as the 4th corner).

We will have
Bandy
Ivey
Blades
Williams
Bethel
Couch

Say all that to say this each of the last couple of years the injury/retiring(malek young) bug at some point hit the cb group in years where we had less overall numbers and we were fine right? Transfers can’t be the solution for everything(especially not grad transfers) because you need to build depth at somepoint. Otherwise you will be in the same starting place next year with again limited experience at the position because a grad transfer taking up a lot of minutes

Advertisement
How many cbs y’all suspect we are supposed to have in terms of depth? We have played the last 3 seasons with

5 cbs
Bandy
Jackson
Young
Dean sparingly

Bandy
Jackson
Dean
Our 4th corner barely played much(but I believe ivey or blades played the most as the 4th corner).

We will have
Bandy
Ivey
Blades
Williams
Bethel
Couch

Say all that to say this each of the last couple of years the injury/retiring(malek young) bug at some point hit the cb group in years where we had less overall numbers and we were fine right? Transfers can’t be the solution for everything(especially not grad transfers) because you need to build depth at somepoint. Otherwise you will be in the same starting place next year with again limited experience at the position because a grad transfer taking up a lot of minutes

We give Dean way too hard of a time for a guy that was the third corner on the #1 pass defense in the country.

This is where Rump needs to earn his money.

There has been recruiting misses. So now we have somebody that probably shouldn’t be looking at seeing meaningful playing time until his rJR season, in the fold next season.

If we’re missing on guys like Campbell, we better be developing guys like Bethel at a faster rate than expected.

Advertisement
There's one defensive highlight on his tape. He gets spun around off the line, then whiffs on the tackle (Cleans it up after). LOL Rumph has some work to do

That doesn't change anything for this season. I said 50% of our CB's are going to be well undersized. That's a fact. Couch and Bethel may grow into whatever. The CB room could use another body. Now, if Bethel fills out then maybe he can contribute. I haven't seen him since the season. Couch looks way too skinny to be playing on anything other than passing downs.

Didn't realize that was your take, I apologize. Unsure if Couch could healthily get up to 175 by the fall. I think Bethel is around 175 right now, so he should be good by fall for sure.

5 cbs
Bandy
Jackson
Young
Dean sparingly

Bandy
Jackson
Dean

We will have
Bandy
Ivey
Blades
Williams
Bethel
Couch

I think the whole point is that Nigel Bethel is likely going to have a role this year, even if it's a small one.
2016: Mike Jack played a small role as a 5th CB and on ST
2017: Dean played due to Delaney getting hurt
2018: Ivey played when Bandy got ejected for targeting against LSU and also played a small role as a 5th CB

The 2019 version should be Bethel as our 5th CB and ST. If there is an injury he'll likely play more.

Advertisement
Just let everybody compete, it's sink or swim time, we need to see who can swim in this CB group.

And I disagree that Christian Williams will be starting, I believe he'll play, mostly on ST's but if all the Corners stay healthy he's not showing up in June & taking anybody's spot in Fall camp.

If he's good enough I would have no problem with him starting, but I just don't see him coming in & starting over Blades Jr or Ivey. He'll compete with Bethel for that 4th CB spot.

I don't see Couch playing much this season, I think he'll play 2-4 games but Redshirt.

Advertisement
Back