Nigel Bethel Development?

Him and Williams battling for the 4th CB spot.

I saw Bethel getting burnt in a couple of the Spring camp highlights. He also got praise. But I expect Couch to leapfrog him and be our #4 by end of September if he was anywhere near the 170 rumored. when he got on campus in May.

Advertisement
If Al Blades is not ready yet, they need to hit the portal for a good Grad Transfer Corner or Juco. If Bandy gets hurt we will have no experience at CB.
I hope they are exploring this option now. Wondering if Bolden is an option at CB.

Bethel or Blades or Williams must be ready to play or must look outside to bring in help before season starts.

or Ivey.

I think dsdd or someone who watched them in Spring said that Ivey is a lockdown corner now even moreso than Bandy.

And DMoney said on the podcast that Blades is looking good too.

If we have 3 guys greater than or equal to Jhavonte last year then I think we can get creative in obvious passing formations.

People have mentioned multiple safety sets and multi-striker sets as well.

And the thing about it is just because a team is lined up in a 5 wide formation, all 5 WRs don’t need to be covered by an elite cover guy (unless we talking Miami WRs)

I saw Romeo covering dudes on intermediate routes last year and that boy was nice. I didn’t think he could play moving backwards his first two years.

I’m excited for this season though mane. If Enos is who everyone thinks he is, we should win the Coastal easily. The ACCCG against Clemson might resemble that 2017 VTech game. Start a little slow, they’ll play some D, but after a big play by one of our TEs, Lingard will probably jump it on them people for 60+, and **** gets ugly. #GoCanes

He’s trending in the right direction. The added weight is helping him but I think he’s still a year away from being reliable. It will be interesting to see how much he’s improved since spring.

The added weight was a must. But if he’s playing in money time this year, either he’s an absolute superstar or something went wrong.

Advertisement
I think dsdd or someone who watched them in Spring said that Ivey is a lockdown corner now even moreso than Bandy.

If we have 3 guys greater than or equal to Jhavonte last year then I think we can get creative in obvious passing formations.

And the thing about it is just because a team is lined up in a 5 wide formation, all 5 WRs don’t need to be covered by an elite cover guy (unless we talking Miami WRs)

I saw Romeo covering dudes on intermediate routes last year and that boy was nice. I didn’t think he could play moving backwards his first two years.

I’m excited for this season though mane. If Enos is who everyone thinks he is, we should win the Coastal easily. The ACCCG against Clemson might resemble that 2017 VTech game. Start a little slow, they’ll play some D, but after a big play by one of our TEs, Lingard will probably jump it on them people for 60+, and **** gets ugly. #GoCanes

We winning the ACC, bruh!

Sophomore slumping Lawrence for the title!

Does anybody have any insight on Nigel Bethels development at corner. Really think we will need him this season.
Bethel played a lot of snaps in the final Spring game. He is very athletic. Has good size for a corner. Outstanding speed. He is still learning the position. I was impressed that he is an aggressive tackler. Kid seems like he is here for the long term. Expect to see him on all the special teams and to get situational play.

Lol Dean was trash for two years, I hope they are better than him or we in trouble..

Advertisement
My money is on Christian Williams as the 4th CB. Couch will probably be in on Dime or a sub on sure passing downs. It shouldn’t shock anyone if Blades ends up beating out Ivey in the fall. That’s no knock on Ivey either. Blades has been putting in work.
Bethel was a known project at CB. If we can get good reps from him on special teams this year then it’s a win. As much as I want to see Lo returning kicks, I’d prefer him carrying the rock. JT4 should only be returning punts this year. It’s nice to have the luxury of a talented kid with speed hone in on specials. Bethel at gunner and kick returner has a nice ring to it this season.

We have some pretty unique combos we could use on third and long

Finley, Shaq, Frierson, Hall, Carter
Finley, Shaq, Bolden, Hall, Carter

Should hold up fine in the run with great coverage abilities.

Dean wasn’t a lock down guy but he wasn’t trash either. He made some big plays last year. For every big gainer he gave up he defended one. He brought the chain out as well. Maybe you’re confusing Dean with Knowles lol.

Lol well no one is worst than Knowles, I just hope their ceilings are higher than Dean...

Advertisement
Dean wasn’t a lock down guy but he wasn’t trash either. He made some big plays last year. For every big gainer he gave up he defended one. He brought the chain out as well. Maybe you’re confusing Dean with Knowles lol.
When Dean first came here, he was big trash. Even early last year in the LSU game he gave up big plays. But I would say he did get better as the season went along under Coach Rumph. If we had him right out of high school, he probably could've been really good for us. I trust Rumph as a developer and I think Ivey and Blades have the natural tools to be lockdown corners.

Advertisement
When Dean first came here, he was big trash. Even early last year in the LSU game he gave up big plays. But I would say he did get better as the season went along under Coach Rumph. If we had him right out of high school, he probably could've been really good for us. I trust Rumph as a developer and I think Ivey and Blades have the natural tools to be lockdown corners.
I agree with most of that. Dean also broke up a TD against LSU. People around here never mention that. Dean wasn’t trash. He just wasn’t good either.

Dean define improved as the season wore on last year, that’s a direct correlation to Rumph. He’s had a season and the start of another off-season to get Blades and Ivey ready. We add Couch or Williams to the mix plus Bolden, Hall, and Carter; I can imagine Baker will get very creative indeed.

He should never have been a take imo. This is why taking low star ratings is so bad. Kid hadn’t contributed at all and doesn’t look like he will.

Nothing personal against the kid, but the last staff threw a scholarship away that should have gone to a 4 or 5 star recruit who would be challenging for a starting spot right now

Advertisement
Back