Nice breakdown of Jaelan Phillips

No mock draft means anything until after the Pro days. Then we will see who’s been doing what (meaning the guys who sat out) the last 365+ days. That’s all scouts will care about. Rousseaus tape speaks for itself. You don’t end up 2nd in the country in sacks by being lucky folks. If he shows up at the Pro day like the freak we all know he is, he’s a first round lock no questions asked. If he shows up like a super freak, he’s a top 20 pick.

Advertisement
Idk why the thumbs down cause he did. Went from Top 10 pick to probably the 20's. Which is huge money difference
Lol yea I noticed those too. Not sure why this is such a controversial topic.

In hindsight, there is absolutely no opinion involved. He was a top 5 projected pick before the season. Now in some mocks he is an early second round pick.

If he goes anywhere below 10, it is a fact that he cost himself money...and millions at that.

Whats the argument? People argued at the very start, and thats ok, because everyone just had an opinion.

Now, it's no longer opinion. Its fact. If you disagree now, you're just stubborn and defending your incorrect opinion from months ago.

In hindsight, there is absolutely no opinion involved. He was a top 5 projected pick before the season. Now in some mocks he is an early second round pick.

If he goes anywhere below 10, it is a fact that he cost himself money...and millions at that.

Whats the argument? People argued at the very start, and thats ok, because everyone just had an opinion.

Now, it's no longer opinion. Its fact. If you disagree now, you're just stubborn and defending your incorrect opinion from months ago.

You should put very little stock in what someone is projected in MOCK DRAFTS a year out from the draft.

Those mocks, on average, have a sub-ish 1/3 hit rate for projected players ending up as R1 players over the years. Its just not an indicator for anything.

Rousseau didn't lose anything. It was never there to begin with.

Advertisement
DE has been a strength for us as of late IMO.
Agreed but what accounts for it? Good recruiting, good coaching, both, neither?
I ask because we are quick to highlight the shortcomings of recruiting and coaching at receiver and cornerback, and rightfully slow. And we are good at assigning blame.
But we are not as good at giving credit. So where does the credit lay for the success at d-end? And tight end?

JP was a man amongst boys when I watched him in Louisville. He was taking over the game before they got dirty and chopped him. He’s a better edge prospect than anyone in the draft based on athleticism and developed pass rush repertoire

Advertisement
There’s no guarantee that Rousseau would have remained a first round pick if he played in 2020. It’s likely his numbers would have regressed. Especially since he’d have been losing snaps to Phillips and Roche.

Couple things I noticed in the video:
1) That smoked brandy old fashioned.
2) The way that Frierson played the run behind Phillips vs any of the other linebackers in the highlights. He had a much better recognition on when Jaelan was going to dip underneath a tackle and attack the run from the inside, thus knowing he had to set the edge himself.
3) Keeping Stroud around will help our individual pass rushers immensely. I felt his lines were probably too undisciplined but you see the technical pass rushing aspects our guys picked up. The first half of the season Phillips played like a 240 lbs rush linebacker who was just trying to run around his blocker. Later on, you really started to see him rush like an NFL defensive end. Getting his hands into tackles, setting them up by using inside/outside combos. He’s a technically solid prospect and not just a freak athlete.
Stroud caught so much unnecessary heat on here, but he’s fantastic recruiter & good coach imo.

Our biggest issues on Defense last year were due to horrendous LB play, mostly below average CB coverage & over zealous Safety play that got too reckless & undisciplined in clutch moments.

That’s not to say the DL was perfect, but they were the best unit on the Defense last year.

Me & @The Franchise talked about Phillips effort & get off which was A1....but we ?’d how he often washed himself out of plays, and lacked discipline. Truth be told, Phillips has a great motor, always has...but his notoriety came off of 2 games, VT & Duke. 5 of his 8 sacks came that game. VT was also ranked 56th in sacks allowed & Duke was ranked 114th.

I wish he had came back for one more yr to refine his game just a tad, but hey, when every single mock draft got u going 1st round, and u had injury history, I definitely ain’t mad at him. Get that money; just want him to refine his game just a bit more to really rep us in the NFL. Always feel proud to see our guys become pro bowlers & future HOFers.

Me & @The Franchise talked about Phillips effort & get off which was A1....but we ?’d how he often washed himself out of plays, and lacked discipline. Truth be told, Phillips has a great motor, always has...but his notoriety came off of 2 games, VT & Duke. 5 of his 8 sacks came that game. VT was also ranked 56th in sacks allowed & Duke was ranked 114th.

I wish he had came back for one more yr to refine his game just a tad, but hey, when every single mock draft got u going 1st round, and u had injury history, I definitely ain’t mad at him. Get that money; just want him to refine his game just a bit more to really rep us in the NFL. Always feel proud to see our guys become pro bowlers & future HOFers.
His pass rush definitely came on in the second half. It’s no coincidence that most of his numbers came over a 5 game stretch before the bowl. Still 8 sacks in 10 games is good production.

8 of Rousseau’s 15 sacks in 2019 came against FSU and Pitt so it’s not uncommon for guys to get them in bunches.

Advertisement
Rousseau is a late 1st at best right now.
Laughing At You GIF by memecandy

Advertisement

Well the slight caveat is obviously the unknown. Junior mocks or pre season mocks are pointless. To say he is dropping on a mock before the season is even played or scouts are really on him just always seems silly to me.

Brad kaaya was supposed to be a 1st round pick start of his final year, he had a decent season, nothing crazy or awful. But he dropped to the 6th round. IF Covid was around then and Kaaya did not play, would he have been a top pick? No. Would he have been higher than 6th round? Maybe and I think likely because it would have been based on projection. Greg is similarly setting himself up for projection. He could have had a monster season and cemented that status, or he could have been slightly exposed or injured and dropped even further. His pro day I think will have an impact on his stock as well.

I think picks 1-10 contracts range from 35-20 million, picks 10-32 range from 20 million to 10 million.

Advertisement
Back