Nice breakdown of Jaelan Phillips

Well you really can’t say his stock would have stayed the same had he played. I remember Brad Kaaya was supposed to be a top pick.. I bet with hindsight, he probably wishes COVID hit when he was playing. I’m sure he would have been thrilled if his stock dropped to the end of the first round for sitting out instead of completely out of the draft for playing.

the Kaaya being a top pick talk wasnt real.

Advertisement
I was told his draft status wouldn't drop if he sat out 2020. Hmmmm... People were talking top 10 a year ago.
Who NFL scouts? Or porsters? I’d wager scouts would have preferred another season of experience and film on Greg.

I’m not sure why internet mock projections by anyone and the actual draft results are compared.

**** it would be real nice to have that kid for one more year
Crazy we finally have legit first round talent and he sits out and causes a domino effect where we lose him and the guy who takes his spot and would have had to wait his turn and was comfortable doing so blows up and we lose his production in the next season also.. FML..

Advertisement
Love this guy's Youtube channel. He does a great job of breaking down film.

Is Phillips the first DE off the board?

We are in trouble next year. We don't have anybody currently on our roster who will present problems like this dude did last year.

Last mock I saw had JP going before GR15. I'm not a superstonk or anything, so my opinion is only worth what you paid for it, but this dude did a great eval of 3 JP plays. But I hope he's right. Great DE's only win sometimes against great OL's.

Advertisement
NONE of these mocks mean a thing. They are always wildly wrong.

"He dropped!" they will tell us.

No ESPN homie, you were just wrong. The draft is the draft and nothing else matters. GR hasn't "dropped" until we actually see where he's drafted. If he's top 18 or so then I don't think he lost much. He could have even had a bad year or got hurt. Just saying it's all speculative. Sure wish we had him this past year, though!
Very similar to saying, "my house/car/boat is worth..."

Those assets are only truly valued when another party exchanges value with you and takes them. Then, at that point in time, those assets were worth x value.

Draft is no different, the mocks are often farther from right than they are farther from wrong on most players.

Regardless, good luck Phillips, hope he has a long and successful career. Go Canes.

Last edited:
I always LMAO at all the mock drafts. Mock 1.0. Mock 2.0. Mock 3.0. I like to go back and look at the mocks and see how many the so-called experts got right. They’re lucky if they get 25% of the 1st round picks right.

I’ve seen GR as high as 11 to the Giants and JP as high as 14 to the Vikings. There’s one or 2 that have GR going 18 to the Phins.

There’s no guarantee that Rousseau would have remained a first round pick if he played in 2020. It’s likely his numbers would have regressed. Especially since he’d have been losing snaps to Phillips and Roche.

Couple things I noticed in the video:
1) That smoked brandy old fashioned.
2) The way that Frierson played the run behind Phillips vs any of the other linebackers in the highlights. He had a much better recognition on when Jaelan was going to dip underneath a tackle and attack the run from the inside, thus knowing he had to set the edge himself.
3) Keeping Stroud around will help our individual pass rushers immensely. I felt his lines were probably too undisciplined but you see the technical pass rushing aspects our guys picked up. The first half of the season Phillips played like a 240 lbs rush linebacker who was just trying to run around his blocker. Later on, you really started to see him rush like an NFL defensive end. Getting his hands into tackles, setting them up by using inside/outside combos. He’s a technically solid prospect and not just a freak athlete.

Last edited:
the Kaaya being a top pick talk wasnt real.

I'm going to need you to define "real". "Real" as in he wasn't actually being considered a top 3 pick talent by actual NFL teams? or "real" as in you didn't see the couple of credible media outlets who pegged him as a top pick before his junior year. The general idea was that Kaaya was going to have a stellar year with Richt the QB guy coming in from the big bad SEC.

Advertisement
He’s always had the NFL mindset/ attitude he’ll do well Dolphins hopefully will position themselves for him.

Who NFL scouts? Or porsters? I’d wager scouts would have preferred another season of experience and film on Greg.

I’m not sure why internet mock projections by anyone and the actual draft results are compared.
Agree.
Especially going back to mock projections which were done before the '20 season.

Advertisement
U see that jab step hand chuck move from our guys a lot. JHH got one of his sacks early on with the same move. That’s gotta be taught and kudos for teaching it.

As for setting the edge and contain I think sometimes players see things and they react. Most times Jalean did what the announcer said, for a **** ton of TFLs, but sometimes you do give away yards and explosive plays.

this guy did a really nice job of how he presented his info. Good for him. He found a niche and he’s very entertaining with really good breaks downs and info.

Advertisement
Back