Nice breakdown of Jaelan Phillips

Wow, watching those linebackers not contain when he cuts inside.... cringe.
Why is there always something at a position every year where all we want is basic power five level performance.
Remember two years ago when all we wanted was a kicker that can hit a 20 yard field goal consistently. A punter that can at least get us somewhere on the opposite side of the field. Last year all we wanted was a receiver to at least catch the **** ball.
And after looking at those clips all we were asking for was for a linebacker to be at the right place.

Advertisement
I like Greg better as a prospect but he's a gamble. Phillips floor is very high imo.

Thing is... its hard to keep a guy forever these days. ****, sometimes you have to cut a guy you still like because of the cap. Let alone, FA. I'd take JP for the four year rookie contract. But I'd take Greg if trying to draft a guy I think I can keep for 10 years.

I was told his draft status wouldn't drop if he sat out 2020. Hmmmm... People were talking top 10 a year ago.

NONE of these mocks mean a thing. They are always wildly wrong.

"He dropped!" they will tell us.

No ESPN homie, you were just wrong. The draft is the draft and nothing else matters. GR hasn't "dropped" until we actually see where he's drafted. If he's top 18 or so then I don't think he lost much. He could have even had a bad year or got hurt. Just saying it's all speculative. Sure wish we had him this past year, though!

Advertisement
Why is there always something at a position every year where all we want is basic power five level performance.
Remember two years ago when all we wanted was a kicker that can hit a 20 yard field goal consistently. A punter that can at least get us somewhere on the opposite side of the field. Last year all we wanted was a receiver to at least catch the **** ball.
And after looking at those clips all we were asking for was for a linebacker to be at the right place.

In the 10s we managed to hit that lowpoint at **** near ever position on the field at one point. TE, RB, and DEs were the best through it all, except the DEs under Dorito. We were horrendous at the second level. Awful.

NONE of these mocks mean a thing. They are always wildly wrong.

"He dropped!" they will tell us.

No ESPN homie, you were just wrong. The draft is the draft and nothing else matters. GR hasn't "dropped" until we actually see where he's drafted. If he's top 18 or so then I don't think he lost much. He could have even had a bad year or got hurt. Just saying it's all speculative. Sure wish we had him this past year, though!
Nailed it my man! :fistbump:

Advertisement
Who was responsible for recruiting linebackers the past 5 years?

Ok coaches, i saw a lot of great technique along with great athleticism.
What accounts for the technique? Coaching at UM, coaching at UCLA, self-directed study and implementation? Some combo of factors?
I ask because Phillips looks well coached from that video and what we saw this year, but maybe its mostly him. However, to have so many good d-ends, even with 2 transfers, makes me think we have good coaching at that position.

Advertisement
What accounts for the technique? Coaching at UM, coaching at UCLA, self-directed study and implementation? Some combo of factors?
I ask because Phillips looks well coached from that video and what we saw this year, but maybe its mostly him. However, to have so many good d-ends, even with 2 transfers, makes me think we have good coaching at that position.
DE has been a strength for us as of late IMO.

In my opinion, Jaelan Phillips is the best D End in this year's draft.

I agree and imagine if our linebackers were plugging holes and forcing things his way or even Roache's rather than just gutting us up the middle. He would've put up video game like numbers in my opinion.

I can't put it all on the backers though. Some more help at DT would've helped. That and competent play calling from Manny and company would've done wonders as well.

Still, he's gonna shine in the NFL. Congrats to the young man.

Advertisement

Jumping off your post for a larger point. A lot of college coaches sell their development skills for development done by fathers and high school coaches. That's why it's just crucial to get the Phillips and Rousseau's on campus then the coaches can say whatever they want in regards to their pitch.

Having good coaching at that position re Phillips' moves is irrelevant (don't mean you bringing it up, just mean in terms of how good coaching of Phillips and Roche would relate to more good coaching for the current DEs) now though since Stroud and Baker are not coaching anymore though. I love Simpson and think he will be an all-around upgrade.

I don’t know a player that didn’t hurt his draft stock by sitting out.
Well you really can’t say his stock would have stayed the same had he played. I remember Brad Kaaya was supposed to be a top pick.. I bet with hindsight, he probably wishes COVID hit when he was playing. I’m sure he would have been thrilled if his stock dropped to the end of the first round for sitting out instead of completely out of the draft for playing.

Players see their stock drop by playing their final year a **** of a lot more than Greg did by sitting out. Saying he lost money is assuming he would have been able to put up similar production this last year.

idk, if someone told me I’d be guaranteed first round money by sitting out, or I could play and gamble being a top 5 pick or maybe a 5th round pick, I’m probably taking the safe bet there if you take out the fact that I would have played just because I loved playing.

Advertisement
Back