NFL Mock Draft

Advertisement
Advertisement
Other teams got better, they're still the same just other teams upgraded coaches, recruiting, etc. Like coach O at LSU the guy's a good coach.
I think others are catching up with the bag game. Saban and company got a big head start, thanks to Mark Emmert.

I think others are catching up with the bag game. Saban and company got a big head start, thanks to Mark Emmert.

This is true brother, but the other SEC teams have always had bags. I'll tell you a quick story, my cousin Ryan Baker was a big time recruit out of blountstown Florida, long story short he was basically recruited by every SEC team. He told me when he committed to LSU Bama called with a higher offer (if you know what I mean$$$) LSU basically matched every time Bama went up, he essentially stuck with LSU, he was in the same class as Patrick Peterson, but I said that to say other sec teams do match Bama bag wise but coaching was the difference

So are you going to list any of his attributes that will translate well into the NFL or just lazily refer to stats?

Also, 150 of those 400 yards and 2 TDs came from 2 plays. He'll never at any point in the pros have the type of massive talent advantage on his team that will see his receivers run simple go routes for automatic touchdowns. What he is going to see is sophisticated coverages like he's seen from Kirby Smart and Brent Venerables defenses that saw him go for 1 TD with 4 INTs.

Dude cannot break down defenses or recognize coverage.
Talent advantage? That go-route to Devonta Smith was against arguably one of the top corners in the nation in Cover 1.

You're also conveniently dismissing Auburn and LSU who also have great defenses. Two games doesn't define anyone's success.

Advertisement
If you actually break down the film and/or listen to interviews of the coaching staff you know that most of Winston's turnovers are caused by mistakes by the OL or receivers. On the flipside, most of the bad Winston plays aren't turnovers, instead they're routine plays where he takes bad sacks or misses downfield opportunities with his poor deep ball accuracy.

Bottom line with Winston is he's the most aggressive intermediate thrower in the NFL which is a function of the schemes he's put in and his playing style. Any QB who isn't dinking and dunking is going to produce turnovers because that's inherent to taking deep drops and throwing into coverage. The exception is Russell Wilson who makes most of his plays outside of structure, although he almost cost his team the game Monday by underthrowing a wheel route in Winston-esque fashion.

I realize this stuff probably sounds groundbreaking to the average fan who has no concept of context and evaluates from a narrow-minded black/white perspective where everything is the QB's fault irrespective of circumstance. The reality with Winston is he has played for a bad team that's been corched into the ground and he loses games regardless of his individual performance or turnover tally. The Bucs are #4 in scoring this season and are 3-6. Winston is not the problem. You don't win a title with the 32nd ranked defense that gives up more points than the implied scoring total (from Vegas) in every single game.

This. ^^

The Buc's defense blew the Giants game (and the PK pulled a Baxa at the buzzer), and the Seattle game. Fix those and the Bucs are 5-4.

A consistent viable running game would be useful. I'm not sold on Barber or Jones. And of course, the OL could use improvement. If I were Arians I'd look at OL or DB with their first round pick.

This. ^^

The Buc's defense blew the Giants game (and the PK pulled a Baxa at the buzzer), and the Seattle game. Fix those and the Bucs are 5-4.

A consistent viable running game would be useful. I'm not sold on Barber or Jones. And of course, the OL could use improvement. If I were Arians I'd look at OL or DB with their first round pick.

This team should have won every game except the London game. The Giants and Saints games were 2 of the worst defensive gameplans I've ever seen and yet Bowles doesn't get any heat.

Barber is a JAG but Jones is a good back. The problem is the run schemes and play sequences are way too rote and predictable. Bucs do the same condensed tight splits formations Enos uses and it helps the passing game but brings extra bodies to stop the run.

Definitely need a RT to replace Dotson who never should have been brought back. Might need a DT or pass rusher depending on which DL re-sign. I don't like the idea of drafting another young CB unless it's a surefire #1 guy. I'd rather sign a vet who can man the slot and hope 2 of Davis/Bunting/Dean step up. Dean is limited but he showed he can succeed in a specific role. Davis and Bunting need to improve their technique but have the talent.

Talent advantage? That go-route to Devonta Smith was against arguably one of the top corners in the nation in Cover 1.

You're also conveniently dismissing Auburn and LSU who also have great defenses. Two games doesn't define anyone's success.
LSU is currently 85th in the nation in pass defense. They have been carved up by any and everything. Tua hasn't even played Auburn yet.

You don't take a RB in the 1st round unless he's a Saquan type, Adrian Peterson, Zek Elliot IMO. He's not as good as either
Josh Jacobs, Rashad Penny, Sony Michel, and Leonard Fournette would like a word. Taylor is better than them at least so he's going 1st round.

Advertisement
This team should have won every game except the London game. The Giants and Saints games were 2 of the worst defensive gameplans I've ever seen and yet Bowles doesn't get any heat.

Barber is a JAG but Jones is a good back. The problem is the run schemes and play sequences are way too rote and predictable. Bucs do the same condensed tight splits formations Enos uses and it helps the passing game but brings extra bodies to stop the run.

Definitely need a RT to replace Dotson who never should have been brought back. Might need a DT or pass rusher depending on which DL re-sign. I don't like the idea of drafting another young CB unless it's a surefire #1 guy. I'd rather sign a vet who can man the slot and hope 2 of Davis/Bunting/Dean step up. Dean is limited but he showed he can succeed in a specific role. Davis and Bunting need to improve their technique but have the talent.

Would not mind a safety with the first pick, if there is a viable candidate.

I agree on Bowles, although I am not sure the cupboard is full. White is proving to be a solid LB with last year's #1.

Advertisement
You brought up games from last year. 2018 against Auburn: 25/32 324 yards 5 TD's no pick.
Meh, Auburn with the 58th ranked pass defense in the nation last year and went 7-5 in the regular season.

Jalen Hurts walked right into that game and went 1/1 for 53 yards and a TD. Just a typical case of Bama overhwleming teams with their 5 thousand star talent everywhere.

Meh, Auburn with the 58th ranked pass defense in the nation last year and went 7-5 in the regular season.

Jalen Hurts walked right into that game and went 1/1 for 53 yards and a TD. Just a typical case of Bama overhwleming teams with their 5 thousand star talent everywhere.
I understand what you're trying to say but the fact is that Tua isn't going to go up against top pass defenses every week in the NFL. If that's your worry, I'm sure you wanted to pass on Mahomes, Mayfield, and Murray--guys who rarely if ever encountered a defense of Clemson or Bama's caliber.

There’s no way Tua and Justin are going over Joe. Tua struggles against team that match Bama’s talent level hurt or not and Justin is going to need time to adjust. Joe can step into an offense right away from a mental standpoint especially the dolphins.

This is true brother, but the other SEC teams have always had bags. I'll tell you a quick story, my cousin Ryan Baker was a big time recruit out of blountstown Florida, long story short he was basically recruited by every SEC team. He told me when he committed to LSU Bama called with a higher offer (if you know what I mean$$$) LSU basically matched every time Bama went up, he essentially stuck with LSU, he was in the same class as Patrick Peterson, but I said that to say other sec teams do match Bama bag wise but coaching was the difference
They match on some, but the sheer amount of recruits Bama has been getting has been ungodly. I think that'll start slowing down with others catching up. Also, remember how the NCAA came down on Ole Miss for buying recruits? It was a big no no getting the #1 class over Bama.

Advertisement
Back