Nfl free agency thread

Brah you think that 5'8 rb from LSU is the equivalent to Mccafery?. Yea u tripping..tripping.

In the Brady offense, the RB isn't all that important, he just needs to be functional inside of it...McCAC is probably the leagues best overall back, but that doesn't mean much, man. Its an excess of talent at a position that doesn't need it.

If you could reasonably flip McCAC for a 1st rounder to some team thinking they are close to a championship and just need that last piece to their offense...I'd make that deal 10 times out of 10. There would be no way I'd pay a RB a second contract, no matter who it is so I'd want to get some value back for him before I just let him off go on the open market.

I just don't value running backs, man, and neither does the league. Putting any real value on them is a very old school mentality. Even the money that IS given to backs today is almost immediately regrettable. Someone mentioned a guy like LeVeon Bell on here...thats the point...you can be a great back...but it doesn't really matter in today's NFL. Nice to have, but putting real capital into one is silly, especially for a losing franchise.

McCAC is going to do big things in the Brady offense, but, who cares and so what?

That 5'8" RB from LSU did big things in the same offense he'd be going into. And if you could get him for say...a 3rd round pick while you could get a Top 32 pick for McCAC (in theory)...idk, you probably improve your club with the right picks.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Brah you think that 5'8 rb from LSU is the equivalent to Mccafery?. Yea u tripping..tripping.

He can do the same things in the pass game but he doesn't have the same level of long speed and contact balance to grind out yards inside.

Also no way CEH lasts to the 3rd round @BoxingRobes

I don't necessarily think so, but the NFL draft gets weird with RBs these days.

If you don't believe in giving RBs 2nd contracts (I agree and most of the NFL does too now) then it follows that you need to be willing to invest in the position in the draft to get better value. Round 2-4 RBs every few years will be the meta strategy unless you find a good UDFA.

WR will be weird in this draft. The cool FA market for WRs is the precursor to a buyer's market draft class.

He can do the same things in the pass game but he doesn't have the same level of long speed and contact balance to grind out yards inside.

I swear I hope The Bucs DONT draft edwards helaire especially in the 2nd round. My eyes is on Anthony McFarland from maryland in the 3rd or 4th. Depending on what we do in free agency (bringing perriman back) or not. In the case we don’t I’m fine with either An OT at #14 pick, or draft Jeudy/Riggs right there or trade down to accumulate more picks. I’d be fine with deejay Dallas in the 4th or 5th round at rb as well to pair with Ronald jones(who imo has a lot of ability), he averaged over 4.2 ypc last season and had 725 rushing yards on limited carries despite having over 225 yards called back due to penalties

Advertisement

He won be there int he 3rd foreal...but his ceiling is Brian Westbrook.
Mccaffery is breaking records as a pass catching threat and guys are saying this dude can do the same things?. Im mad there is even a comparison with the 2.

Mccaffery is ELITE. There is nothing dude does that is elite. He will be a nice player somewhere.

Mccaffery is breaking records as a pass catching threat and guys are saying this dude can do the same things?. Im mad there is even a comparison with the 2.

Mccaffery is ELITE. There is nothing dude does that is elite. He will be a nice player somewhere.
McCaffrey is definitely an elite back and can do it all

Tripping big time.

CMac is a generational talent , great rb that runs great routes as if he’s a wr. A three down complete back is the one exception for a rb.

Every down he’s a huge mismatch out of the backfield . It’s stealing. I saw the jags try to double him multiple times and he eviscerated the lb/safety. Not to mention the big okays off him being used as a decoy , there’s twenty two eyes watching every play.

Saying you wouldn’t pay him is like say you wouldn’t pay prime M Faulk.

Last edited:
Carolina should trade him right now.

Jacksonville should trade Leonard Fournette right now.

The value for those RBs will never be higher for trade than they are right now.

RB value peaks at the draft.

Average NFL salary for a RB is on par with kickers and punters. For the talent, find another position. The market speaks and its not great for this position. These guys have a definitive expiration date...earlier than other positions...NFL teams know it. They could fall off at any time. That is why giving them big money ain't happening. Long term deals? Sorry, brother...I wouldn't draft one high, I wouldn't give one big money. Its just the business.

While I get the logic - this is where the hole in the market I'm talking about has been created.

The Top 30 RB's average $5.5 million per season. The highest paid Kicker makes $5 million per season. The RB average salary is brought down by every team having multiple 3rd/4th string RB's making minimum while Kickers/Punters are 1 per team.

If you think Christian McCaffery can be easily replaced by Clyde Edwards-Helaire - then the devaluing of RB's has gone way too far. That's crazy.

If I'm the GM of say the Buccaneers, and McCaffery can be had, I'm getting you on the phone asap and starting to make moves to get that deal done.

Advertisement

CEH had 55 catches last year. He's elite on angle/Texas routes and can split wide and run routes. He's the best receiving back in the draft.

Anthony McFarland - who @brock wants - has 24 CAREER receptions...c'mon brock the Bucs don't need a 5'8 version of RoJo.

Artie Burns i slike 6'1 195 and ran a smooth 4.4 40. He had the traits that you looked for. He also had the production as he had 6 picks. But if you looked into it..his technique was always wild, his real tape was hit or miss...but his main issue is "confidence". I think he lost it alot with Pittsburgh not sure his status but i feel he would look different in a new environment in a diff scheme. But he definately was a 1st round pick froma traits and combine make up.
Would've been a pro bowler in Baltimore, sadly he was drafted by the Steelers

The Miami Dolphins are going to be a problem in another year or two.

fins.png

CEH is not as special as McCaffrey but he is awesome.

Great receiver, always makes the first guy miss, excellent balance. Rave reviews on character, too. He’s an easy second rounder in a really good RB class.

Advertisement
CEH had 55 catches last year. He's elite on angle/Texas routes and can split wide and run routes. He's the best receiving back in the draft.

Anthony McFarland - who @brock wants - has 24 CAREER receptions...c'mon brock the Bucs don't need a 5'8 version of RoJo.
I feel Like he has a higher upside as a runner. Plus I dont Like 4.6 plus rbs especially at that size and in that round 2 range . We can pick up a pass catching back in free agency. As teams have shown time and time again, there’s no need to pick a rb that early and you can get production from backs anywhere in later rounds or even undrafted rbs.

Last edited:
I swear I hope The Bucs DONT draft edwards helaire especially in the 2nd round. My eyes is on Anthony McFarland from maryland in the 3rd or 4th. Depending on what we do in free agency (bringing perriman back) or not. In the case we don’t I’m fine with either An OT at #14 pick, or draft Jeudy/Riggs right there or trade down to accumulate more picks. I’d be fine with deejay Dallas in the 4th or 5th round at rb as well to pair with Ronald jones(who imo has a lot of ability), he averaged over 4.2 ypc last season and had 725 rushing yards on limited carries despite having over 225 yards called back due to penalties

What Danny Woodhead did with the Patriots would be how the Buccaneers would use CEH. He's really good, but he's not going to be for everyone.

btw - gogeta turned this into a "who is better CEH, McCAC" discussion. No one thinks CEH is better than him, but the value of RBs means McCAC, no matter how special he is, doesn't really matter to a franchise. RBs don't really matter anymore. They are just cogs in an offense. McCAC will do incredibly things in Brady's system...but if you could transfer his value to another more important position while you get a functional RB in the same system like CEH, you are a better team for it, IMO.

Advertisement
For all the CEH fans - and I'm one of them, I really liked watching him play last year - I will give you the same warning as I did for Mark Walton.

CEH is 5'7" 207 lbs and runs a 4.6

Here is every RB under 215 lbs, that ran 4.6 at the combine that's been drafted in the last 20 years

1584802823770.png

Translation - do NOT use a high draft pick on CEH

I know, I know....but James White & Devonta Freeman! I know, I know.....every year.....

Hes a RB...if your RB is your franchise player, you're a loser franchise and perhaps winning would get fans to show up. Trade McCAC and draft CEH and you get the same result and maybe get a foundation piece elsewhere.
I think there was a team in Nashville last year that made it to the AFCC with an RV as their premier player no? Not saying it's the basis of a winning team.

btw - gogeta turned this into a "who is better CEH, McCAC" discussion. No one thinks CEH is better than him, but the value of RBs means McCAC, no matter how special he is, doesn't really matter to a franchise. RBs don't really matter anymore. They are just cogs in an offense. McCAC will do incredibly things in Brady's system...but if you could transfer his value to another more important position while you get a functional RB in the same system like CEH, you are a better team for it, IMO.

CMac is not a cog in Carolina’s offense. He is the offense.

I get not paying RBs on their second contract because they break down. But special RBs change your offense, and there is no issue using first round picks on truly special backs.

@DMoney a late 1st on J Taylor or CEH is totally reasonable imo. Can't forget the 5th year option is excellent value for a top tier back and then you hopefully get a nice comp pick after those 5 years of cheap value.

I feel Like he has a higher upside as a runner. Plus I dont Like 4.6 plus rbs especially at that size and in that round 2 range . We can pick up a pass catching back in free agency. As teams have shown time and time again, there’s no need to pick a rb that early and you can get production from backs anywhere in later rounds or even undrafted rbs.

Who are you gonna get in free agency at a reasonable price where you're paying for future performance not past production? Dion Lewis is already past his prime, for example, and would still cost more than a 2nd rd pick.

Pass game RB is a crucial position with Brady. Bucs have whiffed on most 2nd rounders under Licht. If you can find a plug and play impact RB it's a no brainer versus getting a 2nd or 3rd tier guy at another position that's not as big a need. Like a 2nd round pass rusher is more likely to bust than not. And WR would be nice but we can find a good one even later and CEH will help more than any rookie WR.

For all the CEH fans - and I'm one of them, I really liked watching him play last year - I will give you the same warning as I did for Mark Walton.

CEH is 5'7" 207 lbs and runs a 4.6

Here is every RB under 215 lbs, that ran 4.6 at the combine that's been drafted in the last 20 years

View attachment 113913

Translation - do NOT use a high draft pick on CEH

I know, I know....but James White & Devonta Freeman! I know, I know.....every year.....

Most of the guys on that list are just not very good. Abdullah and Ball had some hype but I didn't like them. Walton has average traits and still only busted because of off field. Singletary and Ellington have some juice and they made impacts. Riddick was a very good 3rd down back and CEH is more dynamic.

If the argument is that short plodders like Stepfan Taylor or Joe Randle have a short shelf life...well that's self evident. I wouldn't draft those types period they are the epitome of replaceable.

Advertisement
Back