Nfl free agency thread

I'm happy for Colbert. Him & Flowers getting deals with the Dolphins is good to see.

The painful thing is the best Canes CB's in the NFL the last 15 drafts have been:

Artie Burns - hasn't played the last year and a half for the Steelers. Hope he can have a Flowers like resurrection
Sam Shields - played CB 1 year at Miami
Adrian Colbert - played CB 1 year at Miami

I don't know why we've struggled so bad at CB

What about the Antrell Rolle. He's right at the 15 year mark. He won a Super Bowl. Kelly Jennings was pretty good.

Advertisement
Because they always have at that position. Kelly Jennings didn’t do much. antrel rolle was a great pro but ended up switching to safety. Philip Buchanan was an okay but not great. In terms of db Miami always has produced more quality safeties compared to the cb position
I agree Miami has produced more Safeties historically. Adrian Colbert is actually a Safety too.

CB's like Antrell Rolle, Phillip Buchanan, Duane Starks - all were very good pros. Totally different levels. Sam Shields is the only guy on that compares.

If you look at our CB's from the 2002 recruiting class forward - and Artie Burns has had the 2nd best NFL career - it isn't good. Burns is more on the Kelly Jennings, Mike Rumph level.

Next Years RB salaries:

Derrick Henry - $10.2 million (1 year Franchise Tag)
Kenyan Drake - $8.4 million (1 year Transition Tag)
Melvin Gordon - $8 million (2 yr / $16 million)
Todd Gurley - $6 million (1 yr / prove it deal)
Jordan Howard - $5 million (2 yr / $10 million)

This looks like the future for RB contracts. The big payday isn't an option anymore. Tough time to be a RB.

Grind them out for the first 4 years of their rookie deals - then either tag them, give a low ball short-term deal, or just draft a new one.

Next Years RB salaries:

This looks like the future for RB contracts. The big payday isn't an option anymore. Tough time to be a RB.

Grind them out for the first 4 years of their rookie deals - then either tag them, give a low ball short-term deal, or just draft a new one.
Yup.

The position has been devalued overall, with the league being so pass heavy a RB's best trait may actually be their receiving abilities as opposed to just being a pure workhouse style back, Derrick Henry being the exception.

With RB being such an easy position to replace it makes no sense to break the bank on a RB, especially with most of the highest paid RB's usually having a down year almost always after they get paid top dollar. Zeek Elliot had a good season & was still in the top 5 in rushing after he got paid but his YPC went down & yards overall went down, not necessarily all his fault though.

But Gurley & LeVeon Bell complelty fell off the map after getting the big contract, I'm always happy when guys get the money they deserve so it's no slight on them, but if I'm a GM of a team unless I got a surefire HOF'er I'm just drafting a RB in rounds 2-5 anytime I need a RB, that money goes to a more valuable spot like CB, OT or Pass rusher.

The 49ers were a team that made it to the SB running it down people's throat with a RB stable of Mostert, Breida & Coleman & none of them broke a 1,000yds. RB by committee is the smart way to go now, you get more bang for your buck & you keep guys healthy with less wear & tear on their legs.

Advertisement
Next Years RB salaries:

Christian McCaffrey coming up soon, I bet he gets paid if he stays healthy this year

The value for RB’s are going to come in short term deals. If you’re good enough then they’ll get paid.

I love my Steelers grabbing Eric Ebron at 2 yrs/$12 mil. Gives them a pretty decent dual threat at TE with Vance McDonald if they can keep him too.

Next Years RB salaries:

Running backs at all levels should be asking to be moved to another position. Linebacker, cornerback, wide receiver. Anything but RB.

Advertisement
Rookie running back contracts should only be 2 yr deal max to give them an opportunity to make some guaranteed money before they get ran to the ground by the team that drafts them. Then they can just keep getting short term contracts with guaranteed money until it’s time to hang em up.

Yup.

The position has been devalued overall, with the league being so pass heavy a RB's best trait may actually be their receiving abilities as opposed to just being a pure workhouse style back, Derrick Henry being the exception.

With RB being such an easy position to replace it makes no sense to break the bank on a RB, especially with most of the highest paid RB's usually having a down year almost always after they get paid top dollar. Zeek Elliot had a good season & was still in the top 5 in rushing after he got paid but his YPC went down & yards overall went down, not necessarily all his fault though.

But Gurley & LeVeon Bell complelty fell off the map after getting the big contract, I'm always happy when guys get the money they deserve so it's no slight on them, but if I'm a GM of a team unless I got a surefire HOF'er I'm just drafting a RB in rounds 2-5 anytime I need a RB, that money goes to a more valuable spot like CB, OT or Pass rusher.

The 49ers were a team that made it to the SB running it down people's throat with a RB stable of Mostert, Breida & Coleman & none of them broke a 1,000yds. RB by committee is the smart way to go now, you get more bang for your buck & you keep guys healthy with less wear & tear on their legs.

RB's have totally been devalued - and I agree with most everything you're saying.

But IMO the devaluing of RB's has swung too far. There's now a hole in the market and deals and steals to be had. I would guarantee your boy DeCosta feasts in the next year.

The 2009 - 2014 drafts for RB's pretty much sucked, This is where a lot of the "RB's don't matter" ammo comes from. But RB's just sucked these years.

The 2015 - 2018 draft classes are kind of now going to pay for 09-14.

And I think the ridiculously stacked 2017 class is skewing the "it's easy to replace a RB" and "you can find a RB late" theory IMO. It's really hard to find a RB1 outside of the Top 100 picks.

The 2017 is the best RB class in 10 years BY FAR- and they're coming up for extension right when what you have to pay for a RB has never been lower.

Christian McCaffrey coming up soon, I bet he gets paid if he stays healthy this year

Carolina should trade him right now.

Jacksonville should trade Leonard Fournette right now.

The value for those RBs will never be higher for trade than they are right now.

RB value peaks at the draft.

Average NFL salary for a RB is on par with kickers and punters. For the talent, find another position. The market speaks and its not great for this position. These guys have a definitive expiration date...earlier than other positions...NFL teams know it. They could fall off at any time. That is why giving them big money ain't happening. Long term deals? Sorry, brother...I wouldn't draft one high, I wouldn't give one big money. Its just the business.

Artie definitely was not a first round pick. I don't remember if that db class was weak that year but he was more like a late 2nd-early 3rd round pick. I thought Shields did well in LA. I thought they would have brought him back for another year last season. I know there is obvious concern with all the concussions he had.

Artie Burns i slike 6'1 195 and ran a smooth 4.4 40. He had the traits that you looked for. He also had the production as he had 6 picks. But if you looked into it..his technique was always wild, his real tape was hit or miss...but his main issue is "confidence". I think he lost it alot with Pittsburgh not sure his status but i feel he would look different in a new environment in a diff scheme. But he definately was a 1st round pick froma traits and combine make up.

Advertisement
Carolina should trade him right now.

Jacksonville should trade Leonard Fournette right now.

The value for those RBs will never be higher for trade than they are right now.

RB value peaks at the draft.

Average NFL salary for a RB is on par with kickers and punters. For the talent, find another position. The market speaks and its not great for this position. These guys have a definitive expiration date...earlier than other positions...NFL teams know it. They could fall off at any time. That is why giving them big money ain't happening. Long term deals? Sorry, brother...I wouldn't draft one high, I wouldn't give one big money. Its just the business.

Lol @ carolina trading their only star. They have sh*t behind him and he doesnt come off of the field. HE'S GONNA GET PAID. This would be the draft they should look for someone in the middle rounds though

Leonard Fornette is an run of the mill nfl rb. He wont fetch much.

Artie Burns i slike 6'1 195 and ran a smooth 4.4 40. He had the traits that you looked for. He also had the production as he had 6 picks. But if you looked into it..his technique was always wild, his real tape was hit or miss...but his main issue is "confidence". I think he lost it alot with Pittsburgh not sure his status but i feel he would look different in a new environment in a diff scheme. But he definately was a 1st round pick froma traits and combine make up.
Can’t argue with that. I definitely saw him as a Day 2 pick and was obviously excited he got called Day 1 especially with what he went through during his junior year with his ma and the joke of a DC he had to play under for 3 years. Hopefully he will turn it around like Flowers did with a change of scenery.

Next Years RB salaries:

looking at this...glad the fins traded drake. lol

He aint worth that 8 million at all.

Advertisement
Lol @ carolina trading their only star. They have sh*t behind him and he doesnt come off of the field. HE'S GONNA GET PAID. This would be the draft they should look for someone in the middle rounds though

Leonard Fornette is an run of the mill nfl rb. He wont fetch much.

You want to pay McCAC?

Wouldn't be me. And he's a great RB, but...meh.

You want to pay McCAC?

Wouldn't be me. And he's a great RB, but...meh.

Again..they probably wont have a choice. He's a 3 down back that doesnt come off the field and is multi faced. He's better than the Zeke Elliots of the world.....so ya i would pay him.

Who do they have to actually bring fans to their games. They dont have Cam, Keuchly retired.....In their case..Pay him. You cant even name who their back up rb is?

Again..they probably wont have a choice. He's a 3 down back that doesnt come off the field and is multi faced. He's better than the Zeke Elliots of the world.....so ya i would pay him.

Who do they have to actually bring fans to their games. They dont have Cam, Keuchly retired.....In their case..Pay him. You cant even name who their back up rb is?

Hes a RB...if your RB is your franchise player, you're a loser franchise and perhaps winning would get fans to show up. Trade McCAC and draft CEH and you get the same result and maybe get a foundation piece elsewhere.

Advertisement
Back