NFL Draft Scout and AFC Exec grade UM's Draft Eligible guys

McIntosh is on a completely different level than Norton.

That guy is wrong there.

Maybe it's just me and [MENTION=14978]KrazyCane[/MENTION] that notice this, but McIntosh is able to do what he does only because Norton is so disruptive as a 1 Tech. Norton almost always ties up the center and a guard allowing RJ one on one match ups where can use his athleticism. RJ excels against bigger guys with poor athleticism. He almost never beats an O-lineman who has good footwork and speed near to or equal to RJ's. Meanwhile Norton is just there, always doing his job. He is, hands down, the more NFL ready of the two. He'll probably grade out around round 4-6, and there aren't near as many 1 techs ahead of him as there are 3 techs ahead of RJ.

This is me on a weekly basis with dolts like nystateofmind...and 4 years from now, they’re gonna cry about how big of a bust Nesta is because he’s essentially going to replace his role on defense. I really wish these guys would go buy defense 101 from Barnes and noble’s and then maybe they’ll understand how important a good 1-Tech DT is and have some appreciation for his unseen work.

Last edited:
Advertisement

That guy is wrong there.

Maybe it's just me and [MENTION=14978]KrazyCane[/MENTION] that notice this, but McIntosh is able to do what he does only because Norton is so disruptive as a 1 Tech. Norton almost always ties up the center and a guard allowing RJ one on one match ups where can use his athleticism. RJ excels against bigger guys with poor athleticism. He almost never beats an O-lineman who has good footwork and speed near to or equal to RJ's. Meanwhile Norton is just there, always doing his job. He is, hands down, the more NFL ready of the two. He'll probably grade out around round 4-6, and there aren't near as many 1 techs ahead of him as there are 3 techs ahead of RJ.

This is me on a weekly basis with dolts like nystateofmind...and 4 years from now, they’re gonna cry about how big of a bust Nesta is because he’s essentially going to replace his role on defense. I really wish these guy would go buy defense 101 from Barnes and noble’s and then maybe they’ll understand how important a good 1-Tech DT is and have some appreciation for his unseen work.

Think of a 3 tech kinda like you would a WILL. Yes. They make the splash plays, but only when the SAM and MIKE are doing their jobs. The WILL is purposefully lined up in situations where he is isolated and his only assignment is the ball carrier.

That guy is wrong there.

This is me on a weekly basis with dolts like nystateofmind...and 4 years from now, they’re gonna cry about how big of a bust Nesta is because he’s essentially going to replace his role on defense. I really wish these guy would go buy defense 101 from Barnes and noble’s and then maybe they’ll understand how important a good 1-Tech DT is and have some appreciation for his unseen work.

What are you talking about? When have I bashed Norton?

He's a **** good player. I just believe McIntosh to be significantly better.

Loose Cannon presents an interesting theory. I'd be interested to see if guys like LuCane concur with him.

Last edited:

That guy is wrong there.

Loose Cannon presents an interesting theory. I'd be interested to see if guys like Glory and LuCane concur with him.

If you really want to validate the point, check out [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION]. He's done a film breakdown of just about every game this year, and he's about an honest a broker of the cold truth as you'll find; not afraid to call a player out for missing an assignment. Guys like me who just see McCloud wiff on a tackle? Nah. He'll show you how that guy wasn't even supposed to be McCloud's responsibility. RJ didn't take on the right man and let a blocker get up field unabated, seal off Quarterman, and McCloud was doing his best to recover and clean up.

I don't recall him calling out Norton all season long. Silence is the glory of the 1 tech. When they call your name, it's usually a bad thing.

We definitely overachieved this season. This is why I don't see us being on Clemson's level until after the 2018 and 2019 classes

Advertisement
I love the 1-technique guys. But bottom line they are no longer prioritized by the league in terms of draft position. That has been an ongoing trend and particularly glaring in 2016 when all the penetrating tackles were swooped up while the run stuffers waited in the green room, no matter how highly they were projected. Off the top of my head Tomlinson was the only 1-technique type who went in the first two rounds last year, and he's a vastly superior athlete to Norton.

That guy is wrong there.

Loose Cannon presents an interesting theory. I'd be interested to see if guys like Glory and LuCane concur with him.

If you really want to validate the point, check out [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION]. He's done a film breakdown of just about every game this year, and he's about an honest a broker of the cold truth as you'll find; not afraid to call a player out for missing an assignment. Guys like me who just see McCloud wiff on a tackle? Nah. He'll show you how that guy wasn't even supposed to be McCloud's responsibility. RJ didn't take on the right man and let a blocker get up field unabated, seal off Quarterman, and McCloud was doing his best to recover and clean up.

I don't recall him calling out Norton all season long. Silence is the glory of the 1 tech. When they call your name, it's usually a bad thing.

I posted this on October 19th and it still holds true, for the most part (IMHO).

Draft projection for our d-lineman
Norton is our best eligible pro prospect on the team. Does that mean he ends up getting drafted that way? Not necessarily, but in terms of pure physical tools at a premium position without a lengthy injury history, he is.

It's a mistake for McIntosh to leave in my view. He's a third day guy right now with the chance of getting to second day if he adds weight and strength.

Walton probably goes in the 4th round range, though testing could get him up into the third. It's a loaded RB class.

Trent Harris might get drafted 7th round area. I love him as a player, but he's a backup pro most likely.

Demetrius Jackson is a run stuffing end and most likely gets into a camp.

Thomas gets drafted on the third day, and I'm not nearly as high on him for the NFL as I am the younger players on our line. I also think his love of music will hurt him in the eyes of the NFL.

We are probably two years away from Richt recruiting classes from really being a Miami team depth wise and the only player I would tell to leave early would be Walton.

That's purely from a maximizing resources standpoint. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to get into the league and start working towards that second contract. The reality is that most never get to it and that money from the first contract needs to be fully maximized while you can- even if it takes an extra year.

Advertisement
Back