NFL Draft Profile: DT Kendrick Norton

View as article
Not surprised that the Jags took a late flyer on a Cane from the area. Good choice for them. Congrats to kendrick. it's up to you and you will always be a cane. Personally I would have enjoyed cheering you on for another season at the Rock. Good Luck mane.

Advertisement
It is wasted effort to complain again and again when its obvious you want nothing more than your college team to be better the following season. The vent stuff is an excuse to **** and moan like a female amongst other men,...but with a name like Lex...have at it.

I don't think that's fair. For example, many fans were fine with Njoku leaving when he did because we all knew what a freak of nature he was, how he would destroy the combine, and likely get drafted 1st round or worst case 2nd round.

RJ and Norton made terrible decisions. We all knew it at the time. Every reliable source told them to stay. It's a sad situation.

Yeah well clearly they didn't show enough. I knew it, NFL scouts knew it, seems like most people knew it except them. They got greedy and wanted money before being as best prepared as they could've been. Most jobs in this country worth having require internship/apprenticeship. You don't start out as a General after you join the Army. New pilots don't start out as captains on intercontinental flights. You don't graduate medical school and become a heart surgeon. You have to "slave" first.

I don't think he made the right decision, but I can see why he chose to leave. It's the most brutal position and he played in 38 games and started 25 without suffering a major injury while putting up nice numbers on a high profile team. All while being asked to take up space and get double teamed.

He jumped the gun but let's be honest, this is a kid who almost certainly wasn't going to be a first day pick in 2019. Derrick Nnadi was drafted in round 3 and was a more dynamic player at the same position who actually stuck around for his senior year. He cost himself money for sure but also landed in a good situation in Detroit. He's gonna eat.

I don't think he made the right decision, but I can see why he chose to leave. It's the most brutal position and he played in 38 games and started 25 without suffering a major injury while putting up nice numbers on a high profile team. All while being asked to take up space and get double teamed.

He jumped the gun but let's be honest, this is a kid who almost certainly wasn't going to be a first day pick in 2019. Derrick Nnadi was drafted in round 3 and was a more dynamic player at the same position who actually stuck around for his senior year. He cost himself money for sure but also landed in a good situation in Detroit. He's gonna eat.

Norton and Mcintosh definitely played a lot more games than most typical true JR DTs. They've also been lucky to have never gotten seriously hurt. OTOH our defense rotates a ton, and Norton got subbed out by both Moten and the 3rd down package DEs, so his actual snap count might be significantly lower than expected given his games started.

If Norton was worried about getting hurt, are there insurance policies for players projected to go in the 3rd or 4th round? That appeared to be his predraft ranking. I bet that the payout from an insurance policy for a mid round player would STILL be larger than the guaranteed money of a 7th round draft pick.

Advertisement
When Norton got drafted today ESPN was showing film of his "dad" Ken Norton Jr playing for the Cowboys and they were talking about how his grandfather broke Ali's jaw.

They've got a cracker jack research department over there.

Norton and Mcintosh definitely played a lot more games than most typical true JR DTs. They've also been lucky to have never gotten seriously hurt. OTOH our defense rotates a ton, and Norton got subbed out by both Moten and the 3rd down package DEs, so his actual snap count might be significantly lower than expected given his games started.

If Norton was worried about getting hurt, are there insurance policies for players projected to go in the 3rd or 4th round? That appeared to be his predraft ranking. I bet that the payout from an insurance policy for a mid round player would STILL be larger than the guaranteed money of a 7th round draft pick.
UM will pay half of the premium amount for a permanent disability policy worth up to $10mil if the player is a top 2 round projected player. You can also get a loss of value policy against performance and injury if you choose to still play after an injury, but I'm not certain if UM helps with the cost

After the 2016 season someone posted the number of snaps for each player and the amount for Norton and RJ was staggering. Moten played a bit more in 2017 and we also used Chad at DT on some passing downs, but overall the depth behind them was never any good thanks in large part to Willis being absent.

Last edited:
****, just realized I wrote Detroit. Meant Carolina.
Also a team that had a need for DTs so let's hope he sticks.

Advertisement
After the 2016 season someone posted the number of snaps for each player and the amount for Norton and RJ was staggering. Moten played a bit more in 2017 and we also used Chad at DT on some passing downs, but overall the depth behind them was never any good thanks in large part to Willis being absent.

I would have easily cut them a deal that they would play only 60% of the snaps max if they came back. Enough to get solid game film for the NFL Scouts, but not enough to wear them out and make them more vulnerable to injuries. With Willis coming on strong, Ford not so green, Bethel improving, we could have sold them on a 5 DT rotation, plus Silvera and Miller towards the end of the year.

I would have easily cut them a deal that they would play only 60% of the snaps max if they came back. Enough to get solid game film for the NFL Scouts, but not enough to wear them out and make them more vulnerable to injuries. With Willis coming on strong, Ford not so green, Bethel improving, we could have sold them on a 5 DT rotation, plus Silvera and Miller towards the end of the year.

It was a pretty disproportionate number of snaps for someone his size. Even when we had Norton, Moten, and Courtel the number of snaps for Norton was still very high. This was from 2016 after 5 games, and it didn't fluctuate much even after Willis got injured: http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpos...s-offensive-defensive-depth-chart-usage-rate/

UM will pay half of the premium amount for a permanent disability policy worth up to $10mil if the player is a top 2 round projected player. You can also get a loss of value policy against performance and injury if you choose to still play after an injury, but I'm not certain if UM helps with the cost

What do those premiums typically run for $10mil? Who gives them out besides Lloyds? What year does a player usually try and get a policy like that? (as soon as they get the draft grade?) Who do the insurance companies trust to make that draft projection decision?

Sry for the question bomb

Real questions. We never get this kind of inside info.

What do those premiums typically run for $10mil? Who gives them out besides Lloyds? What year does a player usually try and get a policy like that? (as soon as they get the draft grade?) Who do the insurance companies trust to make that draft projection decision?

Sry for the question bomb

Real questions. We never get this kind of inside info.
No clue really on the other details, I just remember it was presented briefly when we came in the program and it’s in the student athlete handbook. And rising juniors can get a policy since they’d be draft eligible. I know Lloyds is the main one not sure on others. I have some contacts on the financial management side that I can try to find out the rest from

And you never have to apologize for a question. I’m getting salary, health and 401k here for a reason

Advertisement

Yeah, things tend to work themselves out over a career and he's obviously a great player. You just don't yourself any favors taking shortcuts.

I just don't blame them for wanting to move on. They played **** near every snap for us since 2016 and probably felt like they had shown enough. Sleazy Pete didn't help matters but after seeing Norton nearly blow out his knee against Clemson it's hard for me to blame anyone for wanting to stop being slaves and go get paid to put their health on the line.

Slaves? Good God...hyperbole has become the norm in society these days

Advertisement
Kendrick Norton getting drafted in the 7th is bull****... he'll easily play better than his draft pick.

Kendrick Norton getting drafted in the 7th is bull****... he'll easily play better than his draft pick.

Based on what? He's a 1 tech that can't play on passing downs and right now carries a lot of bad weight. He went where he did because as of now that's where he belonged. Most people saw that pre-draft. Kendrick unfortunately didn't.

RJ was a different story. RJ is an NFL level athlete and had better production, but he needed to get bigger/stronger and show that he could develop a better pass rushing ****nal. The NFL isn't like MLB, there's no farm system. Teams aren't going to wait for you to get strong enough to play, especially on the DL. Another year in a college S&C program would have been huge for him. Both made horrible choices and cost themselves a lot of money.

Gotta love all the wanna be agents and talent scouts on here talking about how this guy maxxed out and that guy has reached his potential...good god people. You think NFL teams are looking at guys on day 3 and think that the player they see on tape is the best that player will ever be? Like they don't pay position coaches and S&C staff millions of dollars to hone these athletes into better versions of themselves?

Gotta love all the wanna be agents and talent scouts on here talking about how this guy maxxed out and that guy has reached his potential...good god people. You think NFL teams are looking at guys on day 3 and think that the player they see on tape is the best that player will ever be? Like they don't pay position coaches and S&C staff millions of dollars to hone these athletes into better versions of themselves?

Yeah. I have said before if your best year you will ever have is as a junior in college you better stay and get your degree because you are not going to make it in the NFL.

Advertisement
Back