NFL Draft Consensus Rankings

Advertisement
Can you name players to be specific? I'll name you a bunch that I thought were underrated:

Calais Campbell - so much nonsense about his production dip. Top 5 prospect for me
Allen Bailey - so much nonsense about his get-off, no pass rush moves, too stiff etc. In reality he was not coached yet
Allen Hurns
Duke Johnson - a few guys had him as a top 5-10 overall prospect though
Sam Shields
Ray Ray Armstrong

This year the most notable sleeper is Berrios. He's better than some slot WRs that get close to starter-level snaps. I'm a Bucs fan and there's no way Berrios is worse than Adam Humphries, for example.

It flips both ways, and in the end the over/under rated argument probably evens out. Here's some recent drafted picks that have underperformed their draft position:

1st Round - Ereck Flowers, Phillip Dorsett
2nd Round - Brandon Harris
3rd Round - Leonard Hankerson, Demarcus Van Dyke

I totally agree Miami guys more often than not outplay their draft position, but it's not like we haven't had our share of disappointments as well.

If I were an NFL GM, I would take a chance on Chad, RJ, Herndon, and Berrios. These guys just have a feel like they will be in the league for 8-10 years.

Here's Mel Kipers final Top 300 rankings:

#92 RJ McIntosh (#8 DT)
#142 Mark Walton (#12 RB)
#149 Chad Thomas (#14 DE)
#158 Chris Herndon (#7 TE)
#209 Braxton Berrios (#23 WR)
#219 Kendrick Norton (#18 DT)
#238 Dee Delaney (#27 CB)

Not in Top 300:

KC Mc Dermott (#23 OT)
Trent Harris (#23 DE)
Michael Badgley (#4 K)

If we get 6-7 guys drafted, that's pretty good. I think McShay releases his final rankings day of the draft.

Advertisement
My Final Draft predictions:
Chad Thomas - 3rd round.
Mark Walton - 3rd/4th round.
RJ McIntosh - 4th round.
Chris Herndon - 4th/5th round.
Braxton Berrios - 7th round.
Kendrick Norton - UDFA.
KC McDermott - UDFA
Dee Delaney - 7th/UDFA

Advertisement
If those are correct, then our kids did a really good job last year playing higher than they are. I take that as a good sign for the future. Those who think Rosier just sucks should also take note that he was clearing not playing with a team full of 1st round picks and give the kid some credit for what was done.

I hope all these kids make $$$$ in pros, and I suspect they will do better on the filed that this indicates, but we will not win NCs with this sort of draft class. Recruiting and coaching development need to improve. In the day, our kids were the deault choice and often got drafted higher than their talent because they were already 3rd year NFL ready. Now they go at discount. The ND game proved that we, the fans, are ready, willing, able and waiting. That night was 80's OB worthy. When the players and the coaching get up to level, this thing will explode. Last year showed how little a match it takes.

Advertisement
So ... not one Cane in the first two rounds. In fact, not until late in Round 3 according to these projections. If they hold, that will be used against us in recruiting premier talent. How effectively remains to be seen.

It flips both ways, and in the end the over/under rated argument probably evens out. Here's some recent drafted picks that have underperformed their draft position:

I totally agree Miami guys more often than not outplay their draft position, but it's not like we haven't had our share of disappointments as well.

Olivier Vernon went from 3rd rounder to highest paid DE ever, Lamar Miller outproduced all the backs ahead of him, Linder became the highest paid center ever as a third rounder, the list goes on.

Here is an in-depth article on the subject. “No school overperforms like Miami.”

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...tball-programs-produce-best-worst-nfl-players

Advertisement
So 256 in 7 is about 36.5/round.

Estimating

Thomas - 3
Walton - 4
McIntosh - 4
Herndon - 4/5
Norton - 6
Berrios - 7
McDermott - 7

Olivier Vernon went from 3rd rounder to highest paid DE ever, Lamar Miller outproduced all the backs ahead of him, Linder became the highest paid center ever as a third rounder, the list goes on.

Here is an in-depth article on the subject. “No school overperforms like Miami.”

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...tball-programs-produce-best-worst-nfl-players

I totally agree Miami guys (and Florida players in general) more often than not outperform their draft position.

You nailed it when you said Lamar Miller would be better than Trent Richardson.

Just pointing out we've had our share of busts as well. We don't hit 100% of the time. I'd say in the last 10 - 12 years it would probably look like guys Over-perform where they were drafted about 30% of the time, Under-perform about 20%, and play to the level of their draft position about 50% of the time. If you go back further to the early 2000's and include players from our Glory years, it definitely looks a lot better.

I just don't think there's some conspiracy in the media to underrate our players. I don't feel like any Miami guys in this years draft are being disrespected with the rating they're getting.

Yeah every school has their share of busts. That's the nature of the draft. But like you and DMoney alluded to, the balance favors the positive especially in the later rounds. I personally thought Flowers, Dorsett, Hankerson, DVD, Perryman, and perhaps others were overdrafted. I certainly got negged a bunch for voicing my doubts about Flowers. I liked Brandon Harris (good combine position drills erased memory of Michael Floyd owning him) and Jason Fox (athletic 4 year starter) but they didn't really pan out either so no one is perfect.

Forgot about Delaney. I think he'll make it as a press corner like Gunter did. The key for him is just learning how to find the ball. Wouldn't surprise me if he wound up on the Packers or Browns. I've seen articles listing Delaney as a quality deep sleeper and if Kiper has him ranked that means some teams have caught on.

McShay's Top 300:

#93 Chris Herndon (#5 TE)
#97 Mark Walton (#9 RB)
#115 RJ McIntosh (#11 DT)
#162 Chad Thomas (#14 DE)
#220 Braxton Berrios (#26 WR)
#242 Kendrick Norton (#19 DT)
#268 KC McDermott (#16 OT)

Not in Top 300:

Dee Delany
Trent Harris
Michael Badgley