Highlights NFL data re: Miami Hurricanes Suck Donkey Balls (Dade and Broward on Decline To)

A7CAAF28-DD64-4144-A0D3-71D5E52C9829.gif

Advertisement
I think the real story isn't our Hurricanes getting bukaked each week, but the drop off in NFL talent from Dade and Broward.

Dade is off 36% and Broward 11%. The rest of the country is catching up.

That's not what I am reading. It looks like the article is saying that we're not getting a lot of the local kids to stay home. So many have skipped on staying home such as Cook, Bridgewater, Cooper. I can understand why they don't want to come. They aren't getting good coaching here. One of the best examples I can think of is Chickillo. He was rated higher than Jadeveon Clowney coming out of high school. Clowney goes on to be the top pick and Chickillo a lower round draft pick because Fat Al made him get fat and put him in a 3-4.

But but miami dade 2 star dawgs are better than 5 stars, no?! :ibis-roflmao-sm3:
It was before the recruiting sophistication we have today. A lot of hidden gems in s Florida are no longer hidden. We used to take kids that got little pub but we knew about them. If anything more 4 stars are really three stars now due to recruiting criteria but our coaches of the past 20 years would take anything highly ranked. It's always been about evals and recently our coaches either suck or dont care about evals. Time will tell with Cristobal. You still need to coach them up.

Advertisement
I've said it for years, but people get so offended if you question So Fl or Dade. It worked 20 years ago, so did flip phones.

There are great football players all over this state (and country), but you have to go find them and put in the work recruiting. Or, you settle for the crib after the best teams picked it over and too often get great athletes, but uncoachabe that you're are still teaching basics to, well into their career and hope they understand the concepts and systems you're running, now that everybody on the field is athletically gifted.

I'll say it again, two of our recent 2-3 star guys over here in Punta Gorda are in the NFL, Canes coaches didn't have a clue who they were until the one got the pic that started the Canes debacle upset loss to FIU. I've seen Bama, Clemson the Big 10, etc, on the west coast, seldom see Miami, the last time they were at our school was for one of the top running backs in the nation 2010 - Clemson got him.

It would appear no they aren't.

I've said for a long time that SoFL isn't near as dominant as it once was.
Yeah, it's not just UM, either - if 2 star Miami-Dade players were that good, FIU would be a lot better than it is. Yet they can't win their conference either.

It obsession on cities is kind of silly. For starters there is nothing magical about city lines. In Atlanta most good players transfer to play for schools in the suburbs due to better facilities.

A better way to look at talent would be to draw circles around the campus at different radiuses. Obviously Miami would have one of the most talent priority 1 circles. The problem with Miami is the priority 2 and 3 circles would largely be water and they would soon get into UF and FSU recruiting territory. The fact of the matter Miami has debatably the most talent within a 100 miles of campus but within the total recruiting area Miami is at a disadvantage. This also doesn't factor that Florida has more retirees so probably less students as a percent and that while Florida produces more NFL players then any other state they don't per capita.

Lets compare a few schools:

Miami
100 miles: 6.7m
200 miles: 11.1m
300 miles: 18.6m

Georgia (Athens)
100 miles: 9.5m
200 miles: 23.3m
300 miles: 39.7m

Texas
100 miles: 6.3m
200 miles: 22.3m
300 miles: 28.7m

Alabama
100 miles: 2.5m
200 miles: 14m
300 miles: 30.2m

Advertisement
It obsession on cities is kind of silly. For starters there is nothing magical about city lines. In Atlanta most good players transfer to play for schools in the suburbs due to better facilities.

A better way to look at talent would be to draw circles around the campus at different radiuses. Obviously Miami would have one of the most talent priority 1 circles. The problem with Miami is the priority 2 and 3 circles would largely be water and they would soon get into UF and FSU recruiting territory. The fact of the matter Miami has debatably the most talent within a 100 miles of campus but within the total recruiting area Miami is at a disadvantage. This also doesn't factor that Florida has more retirees so probably less students as a percent and that while Florida produces more NFL players then any other state they don't per capita.

Lets compare a few schools:

Miami
100 miles: 6.7m
200 miles: 11.1m
300 miles: 18.6m

Georgia (Athens)
100 miles: 9.5m
200 miles: 23.3m
300 miles: 39.7m

Texas
100 miles: 6.3m
200 miles: 22.3m
300 miles: 28.7m

Alabama
100 miles: 2.5m
200 miles: 14m
300 miles: 30.2m

This is one set of data. Weather, "football culture", and other factors play a huge role.

See Bama, Auburn, etc. as those that buck the trend of population centers.

With that said, population in the region is an important consideration.

This is one set of data. Weather, "football culture", and other factors play a huge role.

See Bama, Auburn, etc. as those that buck the trend of population centers.

With that said, population in the region is an important consideration.
Not sure how you measure football culture but all things even Miami has a disadvantage on pure population numbers. If you want to get into the talent per capita then it gets even worse for Miami. The advantage Miami has is the players within 100 miles are extremely talented. If we can't keep the tri-county area home then it's ball game when it comes to recruiting. Probably a lot more talent pretty much everywhere else in that 200 to 300 miles from campus range.

Not sure how you measure football culture but all things even Miami has a disadvantage on pure population numbers. If you want to get into the talent per capita then it gets even worse for Miami. The advantage Miami has is the players within 100 miles are extremely talented. If we can't keep the tri-county area home then it's ball game when it comes to recruiting. Probably a lot more talent pretty much everywhere else in that 200 to 300 miles from campus range.
Here's how I would measure "football culture"...

My sense is SoFL football is as dedicated as day rural PA, Texas, etc.

I don't get the feeling there is the same "craziness" in an SoCal, NorCal, Cincinatti, etc.

Also something curious...

with all the talent in SoFL radius, why isn't the area known for producing OL?

I'd argue it isn't an athlete thing, but more of a development thing.

Here's how I would measure "football culture"...

My sense is SoFL football is as dedicated as day rural PA, Texas, etc.

I don't get the feeling there is the same "craziness" in an SoCal, NorCal, Cincinatti, etc.

Also something curious...

with all the talent in SoFL radius, why isn't the area known for producing OL?

I'd argue it isn't an athlete thing, but more of a development thing.
Yeah, I don't know. For what SFLA produces I think the development is ok. A college program can catch any of these guys up very quickly. I know when I was in high school the guys that were "developed" had a lot of help from their maker. I expect this is the same everywhere.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back