Next Year's Portal?

UMFarArcher

All-ACC
Some of you are very tuned in to personnel so I'm curious - we're still going to have to rely on the portal a bit next year as well - but unlike this year when we needed more "instant" maturity - will we only need maybe half as many portal studs next year?

Advertisement
Some of you are very tuned in to personnel so I'm curious - we're still going to have to rely on the portal a bit next year as well - but unlike this year when we needed more "instant" maturity - will we only need maybe half as many portal studs next year?

If talent becomes available, you take it. We have a relatively young team this year so not many immediate holes to fill looking ahead except maybe DE where we have talent, just not numbers. We lose Patchan, Hill, and Garvin (draft) leaving us with 4 bodies + freshmen in 2020.

It depends. A lot of the big names don’t become obvious til October because they don’t get playing time, Injury, etc. The Washington QB battle might lead to a big transfer. There might be a bail out movement at FSU so there’s also that.

I think we need to for at least one more year due to youth and losing the 1 year guys we picked up this year. If a big name comes up and they are interested in us, we take them. Play the portal for one more year and then we need to rely on development. Next year, I see us taking 3-4 very good guys and then after that, it should start tailing off. On the other hand, who know how this portal thing will be used in the future. We may and very likely will use it for the foreseeable future for at least a guy or two a year if they are really, really good.

Advertisement
Hard to say if we're gonna need to rely on portal guys before we get even a muggy picture of next year's recruiting class. Diaz got a bunch of portal guys this year because we have so few seniors (12 or so) on the roster that if we brought in a full class of high school players the 2020 class would be super low on numbers.

I would hope not more than 1-3 more will be needed from the portal

would like to see 1 more portal OL this year, but also maybe an OL next year.

I would have to think a portal LB next year as well. That's the obvious position, losing 4 seniors.

Also, I would expect much more portal competition from other programs moving forward

Last edited:
As others have stated it will depend on how the players utilize the Portal throughout the year, especially when football action begins and superstar 5* kid isn’t playing and thinks he should be. I really wonder about such teams as tOSU, Bama, and Clemson, or others and how they plan to keep buried 4-5* talent on the depth charts when the kids see they’re not going to be playing much, if at all for 1-2yrs, ball out then leave for the NFL. It maybe such that we, along with the rest of CFB, relies on the Portal more than we initially believe.

Pretty soon and wishful thinking, teams may be stealing from us through the portal because we too deep. How nice would that be?

Advertisement
That would indeed by a wonderful dilemma to have but we’re not there quite yet. But I like the thought process.

Advertisement
It depends. A lot of the big names don’t become obvious til October because they don’t get playing time, Injury, etc. The Washington QB battle might lead to a big transfer. There might be a bail out movement at FSU so there’s also that.
Agree, I could see a couple of their 19 OL guys bailing. Even if Willie stays. Too many big bodies.

Hard to say if we're gonna need to rely on portal guys before we get even a muggy picture of next year's recruiting class. Diaz got a bunch of portal guys this year because we have so few seniors (12 or so) on the roster that if we brought in a full class of high school players the 2020 class would be super low on numbers.

7 seniors.

Lot of variables to consider. What will the 20 class look like? How many players leave after this year? Whos' available? What are other teams doing in the portal or not? Just to name a few.

Manny had the foresight to use it this year to gain some age and fill holes that were created due to graduation and low 19 numbers. He may very well have set a precedent that other teams will watch to see how successful his use of the portal was.

Advertisement
We were better prepared for early signing last year. This year everyone was. Manny was better prepared for the portal this year and it paid off. Next year everyone will be. It could be tougher. Manny needs to hit homeruns this year on the field for recruiting in HS and portal.

I heard Netflix wants to start a new series called the “Portal”.

Just kidding. Put I should get some credit for coming up with the idea when it airs! 😂

DE LB and OL

DE: Garvin(if he stays), Rousseau, Joyner(unless he moves back to LB), Harvey, and Williams(if he gets in), Phillips( if he comes and plays)

That is a lot of IFs!

LB: we have added three(D Smith, Huff, Brooks) LBers in two years and lose 4. I could see them add a big timer over the next 18 months from the Portal. They could take that kid from Bama to let him sit then play 2-3 as an example.

OL: paper thin as is. We could take 2 more and I still wouldn’t like our roster.

We were better prepared for early signing last year. This year everyone was. Manny was better prepared for the portal this year and it paid off. Next year everyone will be. It could be tougher. Manny needs to hit homeruns this year on the field for recruiting in HS and portal.
This right here. The portal was new in college football, Manny was the first to really adapt and use it for what it could be. The rest of football will not be caught off guard when working the portal, or allowing their top talent to even get into the portal. Someone said portal bags, this is a way for a top kid to get paid for his first two years if he isn't quite happy.

Advertisement
Back