Next year pre-season ranking of UM and effect of Mark Richt

Southcane

Senior
I have always felt that pre-season rankings had something to do with how respected the coaching staff of a university is by the media and head coaches voting in the coaches poll. Do others here share the same feeling? I know voters look at how many starters leave, how young the team is, etc but respected coaches get the benefit of the doubt and their teams seam to always rank high. I had a feeling Golden never had his peers respect (and rightfully so) and that was one of the reasons we had hard time being respected as a team.

I know those preseason polls are kind of meaningless but sometimes they determine how quickly you go up in the ranking if you keep winning.

Since Richt brings immediate credibility to our program and is well respected in the coaching community and the media, any chance we will be in the preseason top 25 comes next season?

Advertisement
I have always felt that pre-season rankings had something to do with how respected the coaching staff of a university is by the media and head coaches voting in the coaches poll. Do others here share the same feeling? I know voters look at how many starters leave, how young the team is, etc but respected coaches get the benefit of the doubt and their teams seam to always rank high. I had a feeling Golden never had his peers respect (and rightfully so) and that was one of the reasons we had hard time being respected as a team.

I know those preseason polls are kind of meaningless but sometimes they determine how quickly you go up in the ranking if you keep winning.

Since Richt brings immediate credibility to our program and is well respected in the coaching community and the media, any chance we will be in the preseason top 25 comes next season?

I would say Kaaya being junior and hardly any starters graduating should factor more than Richt. That being said with our first two games against florida A&m and app state i could easily see us starting out around #30 and being ranked week 3 due to attrition. They'll rank at least 7 SEC teams in the top 25 though watch.

we might have been 25th or close to it with a win in the bowl game two days ago but that probably hurt our chances imo

Had we won the bowl game, there could've been a strong argument for us being ranked. There is just no reason for us to be, we went 8-5 in a crappy conference.

Advertisement
My prediction for next season: ppl on this site have way too high of expectations after year 1. We don't win the ACC, slim chance of winning the Coastal.
I think Richt has a harder task undoing all of Goldens trash than we realize. He beefed everyone the **** up and taught then a *****y mentality. And every year they quit after they get eliminated from the ACC championship. Richt has to change everything about this team.
And yes I get Harbaugh did it, but that was extremely unlikely, Harbaugh is just an amazing coach, probably the best in the entire NCAA.

My prediction for next season: ppl on this site have way too high of expectations after year 1. We don't win the ACC, slim chance of winning the Coastal.
I think Richt has a harder task undoing all of Goldens trash than we realize. He beefed everyone the **** up and taught then a *****y mentality. And every year they quit after they get eliminated from the ACC championship. Richt has to change everything about this team.
And yes I get Harbaugh did it, but that was extremely unlikely, Harbaugh is just an amazing coach, probably the best in the entire NCAA.

We're gonna be in the ACC ship. Guaranteed.

100% with you on this board having too high of expectations. I hope people understand what a **** show this is and understand even a guy like richt will take a year or two.

You had me until that last line. Harbaugh is an amazing coach don't get me wrong, however surely not the best in the NCAA. I also think people tend to give him a ton of credit when DJ Durkin deserves a lot of it as well, that defense was ELITE. Harbaugh now again has an elite DC coming back so i'm sure he'll have similar success. Again not necessarily a knock on him but its way too early to declare this guy the best. I have him probably right behind better than Patterson and Stoops, who is behind Meyer, who is behind Saban. Dabo, Jimbo, art briles etc. Might be missing a name or two but he's in that group i'd say, not the upper echelon yet of the first few.

Also can't forget about our coach. He's up there too!

Advertisement
I don't see us ranked in preseason. I do think we'll be ranked pretty quickly though assuming we start with some chump teams. Having Kaaya is the key and Richt should help big time. If the OL and D improves, we'll be a top 15 team at end of year. Georgia was ranked preseason top 10 like every year it seemed under Richt but that's where the $EC bias comes in. Outside of Georgia's RBs, I wouldn't exactly say they have a better team than us....

We don't need to be ranked

lmao. what is your definition of a successful program?

those that are not ranked?

don't get me wrong. I don't believe we need to be pre season ranked considering how our season went, however that's just a crazy statement

Advertisement
I'm thinking we should be #2 in the preseason rankings. I mean if it's good for an Auburn team that was coming off an 8-5 season with a bowl loss then it's good for little ol Miami. I'll hang up and listen, Finebaum.

don't get me wrong. I don't believe we need to be pre season ranked considering how our season went, however that's just a crazy statement

I think we've figured out we start with Duke. Our OOC games are set, and we don't have one the first weekend of the season. The only ACC team to not play on the first weekend of the season is Duke, so we either open at home against Duke, or we open with a Bye. We get FAMU the next weekend and at App State the weekend after.

I think we've figured out we start with Duke. Our OOC games are set, and we don't have one the first weekend of the season. The only ACC team to not play on the first weekend of the season is Duke, so we either open at home against Duke, or we open with a Bye. We get FAMU the next weekend and at App State the weekend after.

so 3-0. I like the sound of that

Advertisement
I'm thinking we should be #2 in the preseason rankings. I mean if it's good for an Auburn team that was coming off an 8-5 season with a bowl loss then it's good for little ol Miami. I'll hang up and listen, Finebaum.

Hahahah.....I like it.

The point I'm trying to bring is our chances will improve (not necessarily next ranking) just because we upgraded our head coach. Some of preseason ranking is respect for the head coach and his staff which we lacked before.

We have done nothing to deserve to be ranked next year.

It's not necessarily next year I'm talking about. I'm just trying to point out that our head coach statue will add the ranking year after year when they don't have much to go by. If you look at the preseason ranking year after year, it is lead by the usual suspects. The programs with the most recognized coaches.

Advertisement
Back