Next Gonzaga?

Bmacthe1

Redshirt Junior
With all of these transfers coming in might sound crazy but that Gonzaga team that went to the natty had a lot of good transfers. I couldn’t name every single one but there were lots of key pieces on that team. Nigel William was a transfer and he kept them in the game. Go canes

Advertisement
You guys act like he went all Kentucky or something. He signed exactly one, one-and-done player.

And it's not like transfers aren't without risk. Gilmore and Muhammed never even played.

We should still recruit high schoolers, particularly guys i that Top 50-150 range. But taking advantage of all opportunities should be a no brainer

Advertisement
And it's not like transfers aren't without risk. Gilmore and Muhammed never even played.

We should still recruit high schoolers, particularly guys i that Top 50-150 range. But taking advantage of all opportunities should be a no brainer
Gilmore did next to nothing at VCU, so I wouldn't lump him in with the rest. Muhammad got booted. Kadji, TMJ, Larkin, Mac and Angel were all exceptional pickups.

Coach L dipped his toe into the world of one and done and im happy he's going back to what he knows has equaled success here. Land some solid 3-4 year guys and sprinkle in a grad transfer/undergrad transfer or two.
He's going back because it's expedient. If it were up to him Nassir Little would be on our team next year.

He's going back because it's expedient. If it were up to him Nassir Little would be on our team next year.

I think we should stick with 2*s that will stick around 5 years. I am sure the posters on this board know what works better than Coach L and Coach K.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nevada's starting 5 this past year were all transfers

Thought that was interesting given how far they went in the tournament

Advertisement
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nevada's starting 5 this past year were all transfers

Thought that was interesting given how far they went in the tournament
Cohesion in amateur basketball is a bit more overrated than in football. Kids are constantly cycling between multiple AAU teams, high school team, prep team, etc.

Get the best players you can and hope it comes together. From Walker's injury over the summer, to Brown getting hurt, to Newton unfortunately staying healthy, this just wasn't their year.

I think 1 of these years it's gonna click for Coach L and they will go on a run when it matters. But it may take him changing the style somehow. This roster seems like it's got a lot of 3 pt shooters, maybe they'll embrace the deep game.

Get the best players you can and hope it comes together. From Walker's injury over the summer, to Brown getting hurt, to Newton unfortunately staying healthy, this just wasn't their year.

I think 1 of these years it's gonna click for Coach L and they will go on a run when it matters. But it may take him changing the style somehow. This roster seems like it's got a lot of 3 pt shooters, maybe they'll embrace the deep game.

Assuming Mack gets his waiver, the current roster has a lot of everything.

Assuming Mack gets his waiver, the current roster has a lot of everything.

Even if he does, I can't see him getting more burn than:

- Johnson
- Wilson
- DJ

Keep in mind the following:

1. This is all before anyone else joins the mix. If somehow, someway, Amin comes or another grad transfer guard, I don't see Mack playing serious burn at all.

2. Sam, Izundu and Gak. Assuming Huell comes back, if those 3 guys are ready and playing quality basketball, I can see Amp playing some time at the 3 especially if it gives us a better lineup.

My point is today, even without another transfer, that Mack is probably not going to play a lot (unless something weird happens).

Advertisement
Cohesion in amateur basketball is a bit more overrated than in football. Kids are constantly cycling between multiple AAU teams, high school team, prep team, etc.

Talent win games but you need cohesion. You can take 5 guys with lesser talent that play well together and know exactly where each other are going to be on the floor at all times without even looking and beat a talented team that doesn't play together.

Look at Kentucky early in the year. They couldn't play together at all and kept getting beat because each of those FR wanted to get their shots in regardless of how it effected the offense.

Talent win games but you need cohesion. You can take 5 guys with lesser talent that play well together and know exactly where each other are going to be on the floor at all times without even looking and beat a talented team that doesn't play together.

Look at Kentucky early in the year. They couldn't play together at all and kept getting beat because each of those FR wanted to get their shots in regardless of how it effected the offense.
Loyola Chicago. The end.

I dont think DJ is all that good. He can shoot the 3 (and hes very streaky)

unimpressive athlete, not much there.

Advertisement
I dont think DJ is all that good. He can shoot the 3 (and hes very streaky)

unimpressive athlete, not much there.

LOL “athlete”

L got Mack to come here because he was promised playing time

He wouldn’t have come here if he wasn’t promised that

I think DJ has gotten better as a player. There was a stretch at the beginning of the year when he wasn’t playing much and I’m sure his confidence took a hit.

Still, he made progress in getting to the hoop and scoring off the dribble. True, that’s not his game but defenders would play the three allowing him to drive by.

I’d like to see him lose weight and add muscle. He really hasn’t looked in shape since he got here.

He definitely is a piece to the puzzle.

No telling if Mack will get a waiver.

LOL “athlete”

L got Mack to come here because he was promised playing time

He wouldn’t have come here if he wasn’t promised that

Every coach makes that promise. Mack will get the chance to show what he can do. But if he's not a better option than DJ, he won't play over him

Advertisement
Back