Newton Suspended??

Unless there are disciplinary issues, anybody is nuts if they think Newton isn't getting 30 minutes a game next year. He's a talented, athletic guard who can be a prolific scorer at times. Just not a great ballhandler. I remember Reed being pooh-poohed too. There's no reason not to expect Newton to continue to improve his game, and with Reed graduating he will get him share of minutes next year.

I think you are the one who is nuts. Newton the past two years when not being the primary ball handler has consistently forced shots and possesses the ball too long. He affects the flow of the offense and has done that for 3 years now. If you don't see that, you simply don't know basketball or aren't watching the games and just looking at the box score. Anyone who has criticized Davon is clueless. But to compare criticism of the two is laughable. Davon never deserves it. Netwon sure does. Davon is the opposite of Newton. Davon is a team player and a leader who has had a different role on the team every year, embraces it, and thrives. He is a very good to great defender and even had to defend post players 2 years ago and held his own. He has also been the most reliable player the past three years in crunch time when it comes to hitting a big shot or making free throws. Newton is a very talented player who doesn't lead, plays selfish basketball, and hurts us in crunch time. So to try and compare the two when it comes to criticism is ridiculous.

I didn't equivocate the two. Simply pointed out Reed got tons of criticism too. Some of you clowns wanted him to leave the program. Newton's game is imperfect, but he's also very talented, and has won his share of games for us. He needs to continue to improve. And I guarantee you Newton will get 30 min a game next year. I guess Coach L is as nuts as I am.

caneinpsl,
I agree that Newton is talented. On the other hand, if Lykes and Walker are as good as I hope they are, minutes will be tough to earn.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Unless there are disciplinary issues, anybody is nuts if they think Newton isn't getting 30 minutes a game next year. He's a talented, athletic guard who can be a prolific scorer at times. Just not a great ballhandler. I remember Reed being pooh-poohed too. There's no reason not to expect Newton to continue to improve his game, and with Reed graduating he will get him share of minutes next year.

I think you are the one who is nuts. Newton the past two years when not being the primary ball handler has consistently forced shots and possesses the ball too long. He affects the flow of the offense and has done that for 3 years now. If you don't see that, you simply don't know basketball or aren't watching the games and just looking at the box score. Anyone who has criticized Davon is clueless. But to compare criticism of the two is laughable. Davon never deserves it. Netwon sure does. Davon is the opposite of Newton. Davon is a team player and a leader who has had a different role on the team every year, embraces it, and thrives. He is a very good to great defender and even had to defend post players 2 years ago and held his own. He has also been the most reliable player the past three years in crunch time when it comes to hitting a big shot or making free throws. Newton is a very talented player who doesn't lead, plays selfish basketball, and hurts us in crunch time. So to try and compare the two when it comes to criticism is ridiculous.

I didn't equivocate the two. Simply pointed out Reed got tons of criticism too. Some of you clowns wanted him to leave the program. Newton's game is imperfect, but he's also very talented, and has won his share of games for us. He needs to continue to improve. And I guarantee you Newton will get 30 min a game next year. I guess Coach L is as nuts as I am.

Yeah, wrong word. Meant equate.

I expanded my comment while you were typing your reply.

Advertisement

If JN is getting 30 mins a game next season, it means Lykes busted. I don't see that as much of a possibility.

I think Newton gets the " it's be nice , but I advise you to transfer " speech after the season. Dude is a headache on the court and off.

If JN is getting 30 mins a game next season, it means Lykes busted. I don't see that as much of a possibility.

There's plenty of middle ground where Lykes comes in and plays OK, but isn't ready to take the job of a senior assuming Newton also improves his game. The real unknown is whether Newton's head is on straight off the court.

Everything I said from the start is assuming Newton isn't such a problem off the court that L doesn't really want him. Nobody knows that for sure. Maybe the suspension wakes him up. I've broken as many TVs as anybody here watching him play. It's frustrating, partly because he is so talented. He also isn't the only player this year that's underwhelmed at times. The team has just played raw. And while we all would love for the freshman to be better than him right away in 2017-2018, that just isn't always the case. Who knows. Maybe Cribby is correct and he's asked to leave after the year. And it may be hyperbole on my part guaranteeing 30 min a game, but if he's retained, he will get full-time minutes (25+) whether it's as a starter or off the bench. But if that's not the case the team will need all of these guys to play. The frontcourt looks thin going into next year, so we probably will also see less of Amp at the 3 meaning a few more wing minutes spread among Walker, Newton, and Brown.

Last edited:
Advertisement

There's plenty of middle ground where Lykes comes in and plays OK, but isn't ready to take the job of a senior assuming Newton also improves his game. The real unknown is whether Newton's head is on straight off the court.

This year we have no pg on the roster. Even in JN's best games, he still isn't a good pg. Lykes is the prototype pg. He should instantly be an upgrade over JN at pg. That isn't a knock on JN's ability. The problem for him (besides the disciplinary stuff) is that he's clearly not a 1, and Bruce Brown is a far more complete player at the 2. He's going to be squeezed out of the lineup.

Everything I said from the start is assuming Newton isn't such a problem off the court that L doesn't really want him. Nobody knows that for sure. Maybe the suspension wakes him up. I've broken as many TVs as anybody here watching him play. It's frustrating, partly because he is so talented. He also isn't the only player this year that's underwhelmed at times. The team has just played raw. And while we all would love for the freshman to be better than him right away in 2017-2018, that just isn't always the case. Who knows. Maybe Cribby is correct and he's asked to leave after the year. And it may be hyperbole on my part guaranteeing 30 min a game, but if he's retained, he will get full-time minutes (25+) whether it's as a starter or off the bench. But if that's not the case the team will need all of these guys to play. The frontcourt looks thin going into next year, so we probably will also see less of Amp at the 3 meaning a few more wing minutes spread among Walker, Newton, and Brown.

The front court is not thin next year. Izundu, Huell, Waardenburg, Miller and Gak.

The front court is not thin next year. Izundu, Huell, Waardenburg, Miller and Gak.

I was forgetting Waardenburg, but I'm not yet confident in what we will get out of Miller and Gak in 2017-2018. And there isn't a known commodity in any of the three. I guess I would agree that we potentially aren't thin in the frontcourt.

I was forgetting Waardenburg, but I'm not yet confident in what we will get out of Miller and Gak in 2017-2018. And there isn't a known commodity in any of the three. I guess I would agree that we potentially aren't thin in the frontcourt.

Izundu and Huell should continue to improve. Miller? Hopefully he can at least contribute. Gak is talented enough to earn some early minutes. No idea where Waadernburg fits in, he might almost be an oversized 3/stretch 4.

Advertisement

Izundu and Huell should continue to improve. Miller? Hopefully he can at least contribute. Gak is talented enough to earn some early minutes. No idea where Waadernburg fits in, he might almost be an oversized 3/stretch 4.

I really like Izundu's game. He just has to calm down a bit. But he's a guy who could make a big jump to becoming a dominant pivot man. If he can do that, I think it can change the complexion of the team.

I really like Izundu's game. He just has to calm down a bit. But he's a guy who could make a big jump to becoming a dominant pivot man. If he can do that, I think it can change the complexion of the team.

Completely agree. He can score in the low post which is something we've lacked for a while now. His potential is through the roof. His jumping ability makes me think he is on a pogo stick. The guy jumps up and on the second jump he gets just as high and he does it so quickly. Combined that with offensive touch and the sky's the limit. Still really impressed how he hit those two free throws down 2 against Louisville and how smoothe those shots were.

Completely agree. He can score in the low post which is something we've lacked for a while now. His potential is through the roof. His jumping ability makes me think he is on a pogo stick. The guy jumps up and on the second jump he gets just as high and he does it so quickly. Combined that with offensive touch and the sky's the limit. Still really impressed how he hit those two free throws down 2 against Louisville and how smoothe those shots were.

He also seems to pass out of the post really well. I am one of the guys who liked Jekiri. To me Izundu seems like a similar player with a bit more polished offensive game with more ultimate potential in that regard. What we need from him though is to be a consistent defensive presence in the middle not getting in foul trouble. He looks like he is still learning in that regard.

Advertisement

He also seems to pass out of the post really well. I am one of the guys who liked Jekiri. To me Izundu seems like a similar player with a bit more polished offensive game with more ultimate potential in that regard. What we need from him though is to be a consistent defensive presence in the middle not getting in foul trouble. He looks like he is still learning in that regard.

Izundu has a much higher ceiling than Tonye.

Good win against clemson today. With the emergence of Ezendu and kamari murphy's sudden jump shot, miami almost seems to play more under control and better without J'aquan Newton. However winning in Virginia will be a much bigger task but if we can play tough defense and rebound like we did against UNC earlier this year, we have a shot.

Advertisement
Back