Newton Suspended??

Advertisement
He has not been struggling mightily and dragging the team down, and anyone saying that, come on, man.

He had 15-5-2 against UL.
He had 16-4 against VT.
He had 13-3-5 against NCSU.

Sorry, he's not dragging the team down, and we might not win those 2 without him (probably don't). And if we lose either of the next 2, it's probably because he's out.

Its more than stats. Almost single handedly gave away Lville game. Turnovers, missed clutch FTs, poor shot selection. vs. VT had 5 turnovers to 1 assist. Not saying we dont need him and he isnt one of our best players just like Angel was but kid is pressing right now.

Your right. It seems that turnovers, especially turnovers that result in points, always get lost in the shuffle when offensive stats are tossed around.

Jaquan is the very definition of feast or famine. When he is playing smart, he is electric. When he then tries to lone wolf it...bad things begin to happen.

Love the point totals in recent games, but as a team concept goes, crucial turnovers are like taking points away from his stats.

Regardless, he is going to be missed bad now, and for his sake, I hope it doesn't cost the squad a bid.

UM

Last edited:
He had 1 turnover in the Louisville game. I know he's been a turnover machine in some other games, but he didn't lose the UL game by himself.

He has not been struggling mightily and dragging the team down, and anyone saying that, come on, man.

He had 15-5-2 against UL.
He had 16-4 against VT.
He had 13-3-5 against NCSU.

Sorry, he's not dragging the team down, and we might not win those 2 without him (probably don't). And if we lose either of the next 2, it's probably because he's out.

dude tell newton to give you some of what he's been smoking. he has been killing us since last year trying to be something
he is not. last game we tied it up with lo ville and he turned the ball over back to back dude don't have any sense or killer
instinct to play smart and aggressive at the same time. he has no handle that's why they attack him during crunch time.
tell me how do you lose your own ball out of bounds going 100 miles an hour for no reason? i like him scoring but not
playing point especially when the games on the line.

He didn't, because he had 1 turnover last game, but go on

you remember when they trapped him in the corner? first turnover next play score is tied off his leg, next play his man
shoots a three because he wants to play soft defense. dudes brain does not work with his vision
i think he is a good player but coach needs to take the ball out of his hands so he can learn to move
without the ball and still be productive. that's why angel wasn't happy last year til late because of him
wanting to point the ball, but was a turn over machine that had to be frustrating. coach finally seeing that this guy
really is hindering us with his type of play, even when we are up he's full throttle a head.

Advertisement
Lykes is coming for his minutes next year.

He won't be a PG next year

He better get some range on his jump shot then. Or maybe have more confidence in shooting it from three. He's hard to guard off the dribble and if he could shoot with any range, it would really open things up for him and the team.

thank you. coach should have put brown there from day 1 this guy has no vision
or handle he is a turn over machine especially when the clock needs to be slowed down
he had no reason game tied, to be running that fast to the basket playing the point
ala lose ball back to back louisville three pointer on him game over.

OMG...don't these so-called 'fans' realize that he has been playing point, because other than Brown, there is simply no one else? That he has played out of position all year? That his game changed because Angel Rodriguez was here? With his off-court issues aside, he has sacrificed his own game for the good of the team.

Next year he will be the 2/3 slashing scorer.

OMG...don't these so-called 'fans' realize that he has been playing point, because other than Brown, there is simply no one else? That he has played out of position all year? That his game changed because Angel Rodriguez was here? With his off-court issues aside, he has sacrificed his own game for the good of the team.

Netwon is not a 3, he's a 2. Brown should start over Newton so that is why Lykes coming next year will affect his minutes. If we start Newton over Brown at the 2 next year that would be a joke.

Advertisement

Netwon is not a 3, he's a 2. Brown should start over Newton so that is why Lykes coming next year will affect his minutes. If we start Newton over Brown at the 2 next year that would be a joke.

He, very well, may come off of the bench. They could even run a zone offense with Lykes, Brown, New-tun up front and Huell/Gak/Izundu down in. (I know that Walker is left out of that mix...but it's a good problem to have.) I could see something like that being effective against Syracuse, for example. It would be a small line-up, but it would stretch out the D.

We had a thread on this a couple weeks back, but JN is clearly the odd man out next year. Lykes is a prototype 1. Brown is a prototype 2, and a far better overall player than JN already. Lonnie Walker is one of the most talented recruits we've ever had. He's not going to be kept out of the starting lineup. Huell and Izundu are both coming on strong now and will have the 4 and 5 locked down. JN will be fighting for 15-20 minutes per game.

He, very well, may come off of the bench. They could even run a zone offense with Lykes, Brown, New-tun up front and Huell/Gak/Izundu down in. (I know that Walker is left out of that mix...but it's a good problem to have.) I could see something like that being effective against Syracuse, for example. It would be a small line-up, but it would stretch out the D.

Walker will not be left out of the mix. He's the closest thing we've had to a one and done that I can remember.

Walker will not be left out of the mix. He's the closest thing we've had to a one and done that I can remember.

Yeah...I'm sure that Walker will start at the 3 also. I just left him out for argument's sake. Someone is going to have to come out of the game at some point.

But, to be fair, I also thought that Huell would start from day one...and be game changer. It has taken him until the last 3 or 4 games to be where I thought he would be in November.

Advertisement

Yeah...I'm sure that Walker will start at the 3 also. I just left him out for argument's sake. Someone is going to have to come out of the game at some point.

But, to be fair, I also thought that Huell would start from day one...and be game changer. It has taken him until the last 3 or 4 games to be where I thought he would be in November.

I think coming in to this season most of us thought Brown was ahead of Huell in development. Walker is a step up from Brown.

You know we don't have to necessarily have guys running in traditional positions right? Amp plays the "4" a lot.

Newton is very talented but he plays the game wrong. In his three years here he still has not learned the best way to help the team. He has no feel for the game, dribbles the ball way too much, takes too many off the dribble shots, and tries to do too much. He is elite at driving the ball and finishing but he needs to understand when to pick his spots. To say we are better without him this year is completely wrong but he deserves criticism. He's one of the most talented players on the team but he really hurts us at times. We desperately need his talent this year so all we can do is hope he can learn.

Next year will be a different story though with all that talent coming in. If he can't learn his role on the team he will hurt the team more than help. If he can play his role correctly it could put us over the top.

This.

Advertisement
Unless there are disciplinary issues, anybody is nuts if they think Newton isn't getting 30 minutes a game next year. He's a talented, athletic guard who can be a prolific scorer at times. Just not a great ballhandler. I remember Reed being pooh-poohed too. There's no reason not to expect Newton to continue to improve his game, and with Reed graduating he will get his share of minutes next year.

Last edited:
Unless there are disciplinary issues, anybody is nuts if they think Newton isn't getting 30 minutes a game next year. He's a talented, athletic guard who can be a prolific scorer at times. Just not a great ballhandler. I remember Reed being pooh-poohed too. There's no reason not to expect Newton to continue to improve his game, and with Reed graduating he will get him share of minutes next year.

I think you are the one who is nuts. Newton the past two years when not being the primary ball handler has consistently forced shots and possesses the ball too long. He affects the flow of the offense and has done that for 3 years now. If you don't see that, you simply don't know basketball or aren't watching the games and just looking at the box score. Anyone who has criticized Davon is clueless. But to compare criticism of the two is laughable. Davon never deserves it. Netwon sure does. Davon is the opposite of Newton. Davon is a team player and a leader who has had a different role on the team every year, embraces it, and thrives. He is a very good to great defender and even had to defend post players 2 years ago and held his own. He has also been the most reliable player the past three years in crunch time when it comes to hitting a big shot or making free throws. Newton is a very talented player who doesn't lead, plays selfish basketball, and hurts us in crunch time. So to try and compare the two when it comes to criticism is ridiculous.

Last edited:
He's best suited coming off the bench to be a scorer. Hopefully Bruce sticks around and takes over the PG duties allowing that to happen.

Unless there are disciplinary issues, anybody is nuts if they think Newton isn't getting 30 minutes a game next year. He's a talented, athletic guard who can be a prolific scorer at times. Just not a great ballhandler. I remember Reed being pooh-poohed too. There's no reason not to expect Newton to continue to improve his game, and with Reed graduating he will get him share of minutes next year.

I think you are the one who is nuts. Newton the past two years when not being the primary ball handler has consistently forced shots and possesses the ball too long. He affects the flow of the offense and has done that for 3 years now. If you don't see that, you simply don't know basketball or aren't watching the games and just looking at the box score. Anyone who has criticized Davon is clueless. But to compare criticism of the two is laughable. Davon never deserves it. Netwon sure does. Davon is the opposite of Newton. Davon is a team player and a leader who has had a different role on the team every year, embraces it, and thrives. He is a very good to great defender and even had to defend post players 2 years ago and held his own. He has also been the most reliable player the past three years in crunch time when it comes to hitting a big shot or making free throws. Newton is a very talented player who doesn't lead, plays selfish basketball, and hurts us in crunch time. So to try and compare the two when it comes to criticism is ridiculous.

I didn't equivocate the two. Simply pointed out Reed got tons of criticism too. Some of you clowns wanted him to leave the program. Newton's game is imperfect, but he's also very talented, and has won his share of games for us. He needs to continue to improve. And I guarantee you Newton will get 30 min a game next year. I guess Coach L is as nuts as I am.

Advertisement
Back