News from Ivy League

PBJFanatic

Sophomore
See here - who knows what will happen next and if it will be the same for other conferences.

Advertisement
Not officially confirmed, but yeah it doesn't look good for them. The same person that told me Ivy was getting cancelled also told me all fall sports are getting cancelled; however I have a hard time believing this bc FBS is not tied to Ivy football in regards to how important the sport is to the athletic budget. Football literally pays for every other sport, so I just don't see football being completely cancelled at the D1 level. Additionally, it seems asinine to have students on campus and no athletics, so I can't see that scenario unfolding. It's impossible to prevent college kids from traveling off-campus to a restaurant or to a college party.

There is also a lot of backlash against a spring season because many high profile players might opt out of playing.

Advertisement
They some scared pooses. How much data needs to come out until their tail is dislodged from between their legs?

Ivy league is full of purple haired hippies. Not surprised.

Right. As opposed to listening to the smart people, let's instead follow a bunch of glorified phys ed teachers.

(Note to self: Try and be patient with the little people)

Barton Simmons (who played football at Yale) gave a good breakdown on the Cover 3 podcast as to why this makes sense for the Ivy League and should have no bearing on other conferences. They don’t play in the postseason, don’t need money in the same way and are almost a different league entirely.

That being said moves like this can push the herd in one direction, so who knows what will actually happen.

Everybody is running around going nuts over a peak that was bound to happen because it happened everywhere else. They just need to calm down and let this play out. I keep saying this because there’s a lot of belief that this is the peak that lead to the valley that ends this. Ivy League jumped too soon and might be left looking foolish.

Advertisement
Everybody is running around going nuts over a peak that was bound to happen because it happened everywhere else. They just need to calm down and let this play out. I keep saying this because there’s a lot of belief that this is the peak that lead to the valley that ends this. Ivy League jumped too soon and might be left looking foolish.
You do realize a decision like this is on brand for the Ivies?

You do realize a decision like this is on brand for the Ivies?
Yes but it leads to to Inday’s point. Them jumping could cause an unnecessary chain reaction.

People just need to keep up with the social distancing, practice more than necessary sanitation, and wearing clean masks. They shouldn’t be canceling or postponing anything just yet.

Advertisement
Right. As opposed to listening to the smart people, let's instead follow a bunch of glorified phys ed teachers.

(Note to self: Try and be patient with the little people)

As was mentioned in a prior post, Ivy League football has little bearing on P5 football operations because of their major differences, other than the herd aspect. Just because it works for them doesn’t mean it would work for the big schools.

(Note to self: people that call others little people have little minds)

As was mentioned in a prior post, Ivy League football has little bearing on P5 football operations because of their major difference, other than the herd aspect. Just because it works for them doesn’t mean it would work for the big schools.

(Note to self: people that call others little people have little minds)
It honestly only works for them because they don’t play a postseason. This actually might make them even more money because now there’s a heightened chance ESPN airs their games.

I'm going to take a "wait and see approach" on this announcement effecting other conferences decision.
I understand the argument how the Ivy League is a completely different model from all others conferences. However, they were the first to suspend their BB tournament and announced they would not participate in the NCAA tourney. Shorty thereafter all conference followed suit.
I'm not saying this will happen, but it will be interesting to see how other conferences react to this news.

Advertisement
I think between no Ivy League sports and Stanford cancelling fencing, it’s safe to say we will never see college football again.

Advertisement
Back