New workouts have started

There was a time when coaches - literally - didn't let their athletes drink water because they wanted them to "get tougher." We now know that that's stupid. Well, most of us do, some coaches still do that because they're stupid also.

Running 300's is dumb because football players don't run 300's. There are better ways to implement conditioning. And when it's done right, it's always tough.

Trust me, making someone puke or feel like they're gonna die is easy. Making better football players is what you pay for.
The drill is good for soccer players, if anything, but not for football players.

Usually what we do, especially as a lovely penalty for playing like ****, is running 10 400s with 200s in between to rest up. So basically:

and so on.

For me, as a winger in practice, it was a godsend, because it kinda gave me the conditioning to deal with a position where you basically have to run and turn all the time.

Now I have to do these again, thanks to being ill three times in six weeks and a lovely dose of Covid. ****.

Advertisement
Did every team win? No.
The most talented team won.
Is Miami the most talented? No.
They need to develop said talent.
Will BS “condo” do that? No.

In Feb you’re getting off the resistance and ready to speed train 1-2x / week
Curved sprinting 1x
COD with a little agility 1x
Throw some contact prep / grappling in there.
I bet if you were running the show we'd practice 3min timeouts after every 10ys sprint too....cuz...realism bro.

I bet if you were running the show we'd practice 3min timeouts after every 10ys sprint too....cuz...realism bro.
Sprint distance predicated by staying btwn 3-7 seconds with 35 seconds btwn sprints, 6 reps per set with 6m breaks btwn sets. That's football. I've attached Dr Rhea's data:

Attachments

• Football data from Rhea.jpeg
    Football data from Rhea.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 101
The drill is good for soccer players, if anything, but not for football players.

Usually what we do, especially as a lovely penalty for playing like ****, is running 10 400s with 200s in between to rest up. So basically:

and so on.

For me, as a winger in practice, it was a godsend, because it kinda gave me the conditioning to deal with a position where you basically have to run and turn all the time.

Now I have to do these again, thanks to being ill three times in six weeks and a lovely dose of Covid. ****.
I'm not brought in to condition soccer or I'd fall asleep doing those workouts. They bring me in to increase max velo which is actually fun

I'm not brought in to condition soccer or I'd fall asleep doing those workouts. They bring me in to increase max velo which is actually fun
Yeah, the workouts are different, absolutely.

I don't think this is regular practice (what we're doing), I guess its a one timer.

Advertisement
If you want your team to be average have them run the averages.
Agreed. The problem with all these academia types trying to say what's right/wrong is the lack of years/decades of experience. The run intervals posted above is 2200yds.....big ******* deal. It's running. Not rocket science. These nerds have become so specialized that the well rounded athlete is a thing of the past. Of course there's different ways to condition but running long interval sprints periodically in the OFF SEASON isn't gonna put your team on IR. ****, give me a barbell, bumper plates, dumbbells, plyo box (varying heights) and a sled and I'll train the living **** out an athlete to make them a more explosive, better conditioned athlete without the injuries. This is based on 40yrs of practical application not some science project.

Advertisement
Agreed. The problem with all these academia types trying to say what's right/wrong is the lack of years/decades of experience. The run intervals posted above is 2200yds.....big ******* deal. It's running. Not rocket science. These nerds have become so specialized that the well rounded athlete is a thing of the past. Of course there's different ways to condition but running long interval sprints periodically in the OFF SEASON isn't gonna put your team on IR. ****, give me a barbell, bumper plates, dumbbells, plyo box (varying heights) and a sled and I'll train the living **** out an athlete to make them a more explosive, better conditioned athlete without the injuries. This is based on 40yrs of practical application not some science project.

The claim apparently is that running the sprints causes a third of your team to be injured.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Heard Mario y Feld had the guys do this crap fest today:
2x300's
4x200's
8x100's

Why hire a sport science dept if you're going to tell them to kick rocks?
We did this workout for baseball, followed by 16 50’s.

I am not joking when I say over 70% of players puked. And we never did it again. No idea what our S&C was thinking…for baseball players lol.

Advertisement
Back