New workouts have started

Advertisement
FnwOe9SXoAEu_5M

No clue I would think they do some type of stretching/flexibility training or at least I hope they do. Flexibility helps with injury prevention

I was speaking with a group of trainers/S&C coaches for a USA Men's National team a couple of years ago. Not a pure collision sport like football, but one where there is significant stress impact and force on the body during performance.

The team training modules all break down into categories like: endurance, balance and coordination, explosive strength, flexibility, power strength, quickness and acceleration, etc etc. ...

All three of them, to a man, said if they could only train their athletes using one module, they said it would be flexibility.

Advertisement
Why hire a sport science dept if you're going to tell them to kick rocks?
When I was at UM, the head soccer coach was straight up killing girls. Half the team was hurt, everyone walking around in braces with ankle sprains and torn ACLs.

Tells the head strength coach they're all being lazy and to "push them harder" in workouts and in practice.

People have no idea how much meddling coaches do, with their "I've been doing this since 1983 so I don't wanna hear it" attitudes. Good luck telling the guy who hired you that he's a ******* moron and should listen to you instead.

All you can do is say, "Umm, yes sir" and hope at best that nobody gets hurt. Even better if everyone on CIS chalks it up to "just bad luck" so nobody is responsible!

Advertisement
Heard Mario y Feld had the guys do this crap fest today:
2x300's
4x200's
8x100's

Why hire a sport science dept if you're going to tell them to kick rocks?
Doesn't look too bad to me. It's less than 1.5 miles of running total. What's missing is the time caps for each run and the recovery time between sets.

Doesn't look too bad to me. It's less than 1.5 miles of running total. What's missing is the time caps for each run and the recovery time between sets.
Not too bad for what? 0 of those reps have anything to do with football.

Recovery? Ben Johnson was juiced to the gills and Charlie studied regeneration decades ahead of his time- he would’ve given Ben a half hour btwn 100s.

Wrong energy system. Won’t make you faster. Will hurt technique and efficiency.

Will assist the Miami injury bug in stinging 1/3 of the roster though.

Recovery? Ben Johnson was juiced to the gills and Charlie studied regeneration decades ahead of his time- he would’ve given Ben a half hour btwn 100s.

So what do you propose? Only run 50yd sprints? I may be old and no one runs them anymore but, gassers are 200yds. What relevance to football are they? Yet every **** team ran them.

Advertisement
So what do you propose? Only run 50yd sprints? I may be old and no one runs them anymore but, gassers are 200yds. What relevance to football are they? Yet every **** team ran them.
Did every team win? No.
The most talented team won.
Is Miami the most talented? No.
They need to develop said talent.
Will BS “condo” do that? No.

In Feb you’re getting off the resistance and ready to speed train 1-2x / week
Curved sprinting 1x
COD with a little agility 1x
Throw some contact prep / grappling in there.

I think its to make the team tougher..

Advertisement
I think its to make the team tougher..
There was a time when coaches - literally - didn't let their athletes drink water because they wanted them to "get tougher." We now know that that's stupid. Well, most of us do, some coaches still do that because they're stupid also.

Running 300's is dumb because football players don't run 300's. There are better ways to implement conditioning. And when it's done right, it's always tough.

Trust me, making someone puke or feel like they're gonna die is easy. Making better football players is what you pay for.

There was a time when coaches - literally - didn't let their athletes drink water because they wanted them to "get tougher." We now know that that's stupid. Well, most of us do, some coaches still do that because they're stupid also.

Running 300's is dumb because football players don't run 300's. There are better ways to implement conditioning. And when it's done right, it's always tough.

Trust me, making someone puke or feel like they're gonna die is easy. Making better football players is what you pay for.
Oh I get it.. I know that has been a discussion in past tho, I dont get the make things so hard that you have huge uptick in ling term injuries but some guys love it and seem to support it.. Its a running joke on here by now..

Advertisement
Back