New student housing model

brock

All-American
Fall of 2019 completion date. Should definitely help with recruiting for sure
[TWEET]842413578477023233[/TWEET]

Over the years we have heard complaints about the housing options and dorm amenities of the U compared to a school like auburn or something like that. So this will be a huge recruting tool imo

This can get built pretty fast 2. My university has built like 2-3 new housing complexes in the span of a year

New Student Housing | University of Miami

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
I love the idea of better on campus housing but those buildings look stupid.

That video doesn't do a great job of explaining the layout.

ALL the old dorms will be knocked down and this will go up in its place on the lake directly across from the new student activities center.

IMG_1973.PNG

Advertisement
These new buildings aren't going to replace the freshman dorms. They are going to be built over Eaton's parking lot and where the old apartment buildings were. Supposedly, the plan is to replace the towers after these dorms are finished.

These new buildings aren't going to replace the freshman dorms. They are going to be built over Eaton's parking lot and where the old apartment buildings were. Supposedly, the plan is to replace the towers after these dorms are finished.

On recruiting trips they are saying those towers are being knocked down. Could have been misinformation though.

Fall of 2019 completion date. Should definitely help with recruiting for sure
[TWEET]842413578477023233[/TWEET]

Over the years we have heard complaints about the housing options and dorm amenities of the U compared to a school like auburn or something like that. So this will be a huge recruting tool imo

This can get built pretty fast 2. My university has built like 2-3 new housing complexes in the span of a year

New Student Housing | University of Miami

Let's be honest, most people don't live on campus beyond their sophomore year. There's no point in doing so, especially if you are on scholarship, and are getting housing vouchers and the like. The dorms need to be updated, but the kind of student-athlete that is looking at Miami is also looking at the entire lifestyle. Auburn has to have crazy nice dorms, the rest of that town is a ****heap.

Advertisement
That video doesn't do a great job of explaining the layout.

ALL the old dorms will be knocked down and this will go up in its place on the lake directly across from the new student activities center.

View attachment 43631

The model shows it south of eaton towards the art museum not by the towers (Hecht and Stanford) you have circled

Edit: didn't see lxacanes comment above

Last edited:

This is correct. I'm not sure if it's available online, but UM has a long-term building plan filed with the city of Coral Gables.

The freshman towers are going to be demolished, but that won't be as part of this project. UM can't get rid of those towers until they have enough beds available (so after the project is complete).

Advertisement

On recruiting trips they are saying those towers are being knocked down. Could have been misinformation though.

Pretty sure he's right. This isn't replacing the freshman dorms. You can clearly see the new bridge that goes from the food court to Eaton.
In the video to the right is where Hecht is, and to the far left is where MahoneyPearson is.

But yes, they will eventually be knocking down and replacing the freshman dorms, so you're right about that. Just not sure when that ends up getting done. I wouldn't be surprised if Initially these dorms they are currently building will serve as a replacement for MP (sophmores and Juniors), and Freshman will be moved to MP until they build new freshman towers. But I think they definitely will be replacing the Frosh dorms soon because they want to maintain the community style living for freshman. They definitely need an upgrade, but the way they were set up was good for freshman, because it creates a community, MP and the UV dont do that.

And I'm pretty sure its like half the people live on campus past freshman year. But the problem is there just isn't enough space for everyone that signs up for housing currently. Thats why they have people that had to stay at the Inn. Plus with this new housing complex, it will be more appealing to stay on campus. Think of everyone that stays on RedRoad. Whats the point of being there when its more expensive than the UV?

Advertisement
Back