New student housing model

Advertisement
Ok after reading the strategic plan, this is what's happening..

Phase 1: is the construction of the new student housing village (what you guys have seen in the rendering) July 2019 finish date

Phase 2: Freshmen Village - The current housing facilities reserved for first-year students (Hecht and Stanford residential colleges) will be replaced with the Freshmen Village: a 4-college, 2,000-bed residential community.

Phase 2 Tentative Timeline
Start Date / End Date

Design & Permit Summer 2017 / Summer 2019

Demolition & Construction Summer 2019 / Summer 2021

Phase 3: Facility Renovations - The complete renovation and modernization of Eaton, Mahoney and Pearson residential colleges to include:

Replacement of curtain walls and updating all major HVAC, electrical and plumbing systems.
Conversion of first-floor student living space into common area space supporting programmatic and recreation activities within the college
Updating current semi-suites (two standard double rooms with shared bath) to full suites and adding additional suites to include a mix of single and double rooms, semi-private baths and a common room with a kitchenette

Eaton Renovation Tentative Timeline
Start Date / End Date
Design & Permit 2021 / 2023
Demolition & Construction 2023 / 2024

Mahoney Renovation Tentative Timeline
Start Date / End Date
Design & Permit 2022 / 2024
Demolition & Construction 2024 / 2025

Pearson Renovation Tentative Timeline
Start Date / End Date
Design & Permit 2023 / 2025
Demolition & Construction 2025 / 2026

Phase 1: is the construction of the new student housing village (what you guys have seen in the rendering) July 2019 finish date

Phase 2: Freshmen Village - The current housing facilities reserved for first-year students (Hecht and Stanford residential colleges) will be replaced with the Freshmen Village: a 4-college, 2,000-bed residential community.

Start Date / End Date

Phase 3: Facility Renovations - The complete renovation and modernization of Eaton, Mahoney and Pearson residential colleges to include:

Replacement of curtain walls and updating all major HVAC, electrical and plumbing systems.
Conversion of first-floor student living space into common area space supporting programmatic and recreation activities within the college
Updating current semi-suites (two standard double rooms with shared bath) to full suites and adding additional suites to include a mix of single and double rooms, semi-private baths and a common room with a kitchenette

Start Date / End Date

Start Date / End Date

Start Date / End Date

Good ****. But yeah based on this timeline, the freshman will likely move into MP or Eaton I guess while the towers are replaced. And the upperclassman will get the new housing and the UV. Surprised they are renovating Eaton before they choose to renovate MP though. Isn't it newer? Looks like it requires less than MP.

Advertisement
That's not correct. It's in Eaton Parking lot..

they do plan to get get rid of the 4 towers ideally, but this isn't that.

All I know is this and an IPF are the closet we'll get leverage with recruiting. We all know on campus stadium is s pipe dream but that is the only excuse a school will have when recruiting against us. Major win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those Dorms look awesome.

All I see is some ****** generic looking modern architecture high rises. But dorms are primarily about what the rooms look like, and unless I'm missing something, they don't show that in these pics. So tentatively, I'm giving them an F but subject to revision once we see the inside. Current dorms get a D-.

Advertisement
That video doesn't do a great job of explaining the layout.

ALL the old dorms will be knocked down and this will go up in its place on the lake directly across from the new student activities center.

View attachment 43631

Wrong side of the lake, sir. These will be bordered by Ponce de Leon on one side, the Pavia garages on one side, the BUC and Eaton on one side, and the lake on the fourth side.

The would be to the left of your photo, and much closer to the foreground.

Those Dorms look awesome.

All I see is some ****** generic looking modern architecture high rises. But dorms are primarily about what the rooms look like, and unless I'm missing something, they don't show that in these pics. So tentatively, I'm giving them an F but subject to revision once we see the inside. Current dorms get a D-.

What would you like them to look like? Medieval castles? Mid-century bungalows? This is what **** looks like now and it's therefore the **** kids like. And on what planet can you grade new dorms, any new dorms as worse than the old ones? I'm tentatively giving you a D+ because your grammar is pretty good, but I may reevaluate after your angry response.

Start Date / End Date

Start Date / End Date

Start Date / End Date

Start Date / End Date

Good ****. But yeah based on this timeline, the freshman will likely move into MP or Eaton I guess while the towers are replaced. And the upperclassman will get the new housing and the UV. Surprised they are renovating Eaton before they choose to renovate MP though. Isn't it newer? Looks like it requires less than MP.

Eaton is the oldest dorm on campus. I lived there for 3 years after they renovated for the first time in the 1980s.

Advertisement
I love the design by Architectonica, one the top Miami firms with a worldwide reputation. On Brickell, they did the famous condo with the square red hole in the middle featured in Miami Vice as well as the passenger cruise terminals in the Miami harbor.

Top features for me: non identical geometric shaped buildings pieced together in a village like plan; grass roof for coolness and non glare surface; ground floor is open space under each building providing shade and breeze ways across the whole area; buildings are supported by thin white columns at varying angles that "lighten" their impact at ground level.

Agree that the interiors will be key. Hope they feature living rooms, kitchenettes and varying sizes of 1,2 or 3 bedroom units. Two beds, dressers and desks in a rectangle just doesn't make it anymore.

I love the design by Architectonica, one the top Miami firms with a worldwide reputation. On Brickell, they did the famous condo with the square red hole in the middle featured in Miami Vice as well as the passenger cruise terminals in the Miami harbor.

Top features for me: non identical geometric shaped buildings pieced together in a village like plan; grass roof for coolness and non glare surface; ground floor is open space under each building providing shade and breeze ways across the whole area; buildings are supported by thin white columns at varying angles that "lighten" their impact at ground level.

Agree that the interiors will be key. Hope they feature living rooms, kitchenettes and varying sizes of 1,2 or 3 bedroom units. Two beds, dressers and desks in a rectangle just doesn't make it anymore.

Woah, That was pretty deep.

That would funny if they set up the roofs as a golf course. Chipping and putting greens. How are they going to get mowers up there? Or is this field turf they are using?

Advertisement
That would funny if they set up the roofs as a golf course. Chipping and putting greens. How are they going to get mowers up there? Or is this field turf they are using?

part of freshman hazing will be trimming by hand with tiny scissors

Start Date / End Date

Start Date / End Date

Start Date / End Date

Start Date / End Date

Eaton is the oldest dorm on campus. I lived there for 3 years after they renovated for the first time in the 1980s.

This actually surprises me, but I'm also not surprised at all since I've literally never been in Eaton before. It's like the black sheep of housing on campus.

Start Date / End Date

Start Date / End Date

Start Date / End Date

Start Date / End Date

This actually surprises me, but I'm also not surprised at all since I've literally never been in Eaton before. It's like the black sheep of housing on campus.

Eaton is full of weirdo walking paradoxes. Like, what music major wants to live on a quiet floor?

Hecht for life. Just knock over Stanford since they suck at Sportsfest.

Advertisement
Back