New student housing model

Advertisement
I banged a ton of chicks in the Mahone. I hate to see it go.

Lots of borderline consent moments in those hallowed halls.

I tortured a couple blind twins who lived down the hall from me with incessant pranks. No better anticipation than pouring vegetable oil on the tile floor in front of a blind guy's door, knocking on his door and then waiting for him to come out.

Advertisement

MahoneyPearson isn't being demolished like the frosh towers will be, it's just getting renovated. Probably a facelift on the outside and improving the ****** kitchen and maybe updating the rooms a little.

Advertisement

It looked like a busy deli counter with chicks lined up with numbers waiting outside your door for some unsliced mortadella.

Chopped mortadella sandwiches are really flatulent!

I didn't realize they knew each other in college. Get caught walking down that hallway with a late night sub-par chick you picked up and i imagine you'd catch a serious verbal beat down from those 2. Pretty funny thinking about it.

Last edited:
Fall of 2019 completion date. Should definitely help with recruiting for sure
[TWEET]842413578477023233[/TWEET]

Over the years we have heard complaints about the housing options and dorm amenities of the U compared to a school like auburn or something like that. So this will be a huge recruting tool imo

This can get built pretty fast 2. My university has built like 2-3 new housing complexes in the span of a year

New Student Housing | University of Miami

but we can't seem to get an on campus football stadium...Coral Gables is a joke...its nice though

Over the years we have heard complaints about the housing options and dorm amenities of the U compared to a school like auburn or something like that. So this will be a huge recruting tool imo

This can get built pretty fast 2. My university has built like 2-3 new housing complexes in the span of a year

but we can't seem to get an on campus football stadium...Coral Gables is a joke...its nice though
I don't even care about an on campus stadium. we play in a great venue and was filled for most of the season and it is the best stadium in college football

Advertisement
Ok after reading the strategic plan, this is what's happening..

Phase 1: is the construction of the new student housing village (what you guys have seen in the rendering) July 2019 finish date

Phase 2: Freshmen Village - The current housing facilities reserved for first-year students (Hecht and Stanford residential colleges) will be replaced with the Freshmen Village: a 4-college, 2,000-bed residential community.

Phase 2 Tentative Timeline
Start Date / End Date

Design & Permit Summer 2017 / Summer 2019

Demolition & Construction Summer 2019 / Summer 2021

Phase 3: Facility Renovations - The complete renovation and modernization of Eaton, Mahoney and Pearson residential colleges to include:

Replacement of curtain walls and updating all major HVAC, electrical and plumbing systems.
Conversion of first-floor student living space into common area space supporting programmatic and recreation activities within the college
Updating current semi-suites (two standard double rooms with shared bath) to full suites and adding additional suites to include a mix of single and double rooms, semi-private baths and a common room with a kitchenette

Eaton Renovation Tentative Timeline
Start Date / End Date
Design & Permit 2021 / 2023
Demolition & Construction 2023 / 2024

Mahoney Renovation Tentative Timeline
Start Date / End Date
Design & Permit 2022 / 2024
Demolition & Construction 2024 / 2025

Pearson Renovation Tentative Timeline
Start Date / End Date
Design & Permit 2023 / 2025
Demolition & Construction 2025 / 2026

Good ****. But yeah based on this timeline, the freshman will likely move into MP or Eaton I guess while the towers are replaced. And the upperclassman will get the new housing and the UV. Surprised they are renovating Eaton before they choose to renovate MP though. Isn't it newer? Looks like it requires less than MP.

Eaton is the oldest dorm on campus. I lived there for 3 years after they renovated for the first time in the 1980s.

This actually surprises me, but I'm also not surprised at all since I've literally never been in Eaton before. It's like the black sheep of housing on campus.

I can't speak to the expectations of college students today, but in the 1980s, Eaton was fantastic. Great view of the lake, easy walk to the B-School, decent parking (at the time), and you didn't have to wait forever for elevators. They put in BRAND NEW cable boxes at the time (we had over FIFTY cable channels!) and we got all new beds (not those piece of foam garbage mattresses that they had in the Towers).

Look, I'll be honest...a lot of this "new stuff" just makes me laugh. At the same time, if every university is doing it, you can't stay back in the dark ages forever. I get that. It really depends on what amenities you offer "in-room" and what you offer "in-dorm". I imagine that with Wi-Fi, you wouldn't have to do a ton of rewiring work in each room of Eaton. The air conditioners (ceiling mount) and heaters (along the floor by the windows) were very old, circa 1950s technology even when I was in school in the 1980s/1990s.

I'll definitely take a tour of the new stuff when it is built, but I'll always love Eaton (as well as my SportsFest team, the Eaton Beavers).

I don't even care about an on campus stadium. we play in a great venue and was filled for most of the season and it is the best stadium in college football

None of what you typed is accurate or true. Aren't you the guy who goes to school in Atlanta?

At any rate, the only POSSIBLE spot where we could build a stadium is now gone. Sure, a bunch of know-nothing "Coral Gables would never allow it" nimrods are going to tell you the same lies that have been told for decades (including the one about how UM has no sorority houses because Coral Gables defined houses containing more than 4 females as "houses of ill repute"), but we COULD HAVE built by the BUC if we had a Wartime Consigliere as University President.

The FOUNDER of Coral Gables, the guy who actually laid out the whole city and the streets, included space for an on-campus stadium (now it's Lake Osceola). There is no way Coral Gables could have prevented us from building by the Metro if we met all the parking and traffic requirements, which we would have done with a park-and-ride Metro plan. But now, all of the land that no permanent residents of Coral Gables can see from their front porches has been given over to non-football building projects.

More brain-dead on-campus stadium talk. Waiting for the usual fūcktards trilling for our own $300-400 million stadium at Tropical Park or some other God-forsaken place. Dead subjects.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back