New Stadium

Half the student section didn't arrive until about halfway through the first quarter. We were going to take one of my son's friend and we were heading back to campus to pick him up at Mahoney but he wanted to get there around gametime. We got there around two hours so we could watch the Penn State/Minnesota game.

Hope your son is doing well. What is he, in his sophomore year now?

Advertisement
So many reason already pointed out that are 100% valid

but the main one I wanna point out is why the heck you would want to leave hard rock stadium?

that place is dynamite when the canes are even above decent let alone good to great.

First, we're P5. Second, I'm sure recruits are discouraged by having to play in an NFL stadium that's hosting the next Super Bowl. To suggest that a stadium with bleachers is in any way superior to a full stadium with all the amenities is beyond asinine.

Also, we're one of 5 teams that play in an NFL stadium.

https://m.herosports.com/college-fo...miami-pitt-san-diego-state-south-florida-aiai

Imagine you're a recruit. You're on a visit to some school in the SEC. The coach takes you around campus, shows you the dorms, the practice facilities, and weight room. Then he walks you out to the 50 yard line of the on-campus stadium, where the announcer calls out your name and your picture is up on the jumbotron. The cheerleaders are chanting your name.

What is Miami gonna show them, the IPF?

Having an on-campus stadium is a huge recruiting tool. And Sun Life Stadium, great as it is, isn't ours. It's a rental. And we can't use it for recruiting.

Advertisement
Even if we had an on campus stadium you still wouldn't get a "true college experience" bc we don't have the number of students like the big public universities. I doubt many on here would consider wake forest as getting a "true college experience" but they have an on campus stadium and they never fill their stadium. Having an on campus stadium is not going to make our attendance any better and may make it worse.

And I don't think it's sad that we play in a world class stadium.

We have 17,000 students. Yeah it's not massive but let's not act like we're Babson College or some ****.

We're certainly big enough to have our own ON-CAMPUS stadium.

I'm living in Texas these days. TCU and SMU both have stadiums on campus. Both are in Dallas, which is a bigger city and metro area than Miami.

SMU, in particular, is located in University Park... which is much wealthier and has a higher per-capita income than Coral Gables by far. And yet, they have no problem with an on campus stadium.

So there's really nothing stopping us besides the typical Miami "can't do" attitude.

We have 17,000 students. Yeah it's not massive but let's not act like we're Babson College or some ****.

I'm living in Texas these days. TCU and SMU both have stadiums on campus. Both are in Dallas, which is a bigger city and metro area than Miami.

SMU, in particular, is located in University Park... which is much wealthier and has a higher per-capita income than Coral Gables by far. And yet, they have no problem with an on campus stadium.

So there's really nothing stopping us besides the typical Miami "can't do" attitude.

You have really poor reading comprehension, you’ve never been to Miami, you’ve never driven in Coral Gables or on US1, you’ve never been on campus at the University of Miami, you have no earthly fūcking idea what you’re talking about.

It literally is an impossibility - the building of an on campus stadium. Crawl back into your Texas **** hole and STFU

Only trolls that want to make the University Of Miami look bad talk about an on campus stadium.

Only three things come from Texas, steers, ******, or trolls that want to talk about an impossible on campus stadium, which one are you? Clueless and ignorant is also an acceptable answer.

Campus is only 220 acres...No room...Coral Gables would never allow it...
Aside from zoning issues, the cost of transportation improvements alone would kill it and the resulting impacts would be severe.

How is it that SMU can build an on-campus stadium, but we can't? Dallas is a bigger, more congested city. University Park is wealthier than Coral Gables. Miami has more fans than SMU.

And yet our admin has our fanbase so beaten down and duped that people actually believe building a stadium would be impossible.

Where there's a will, there's a way. If Miami wanted a stadium built in Coral Gables, it would happen.

Advertisement
You have really poor reading comprehension, you’ve never been to Miami, you’ve never driven in Coral Gables or on US1, you’ve never been on campus at the University of Miami, you have no earthly fūcking idea what you’re talking about.

It literally is an impossibility - the building of an on campus stadium. Crawl back into your Texas **** hole and STFU

Only trolls that want to make the University Of Miami look bad talk about an on campus stadium.

Only three things come from Texas, steers, ******, or trolls that want to talk about an impossible on campus stadium, which one are you? Clueless and ignorant is also an acceptable answer.

I don't live far from Michael Irvin. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

You're a very emotional man. But, once again, I've been right about pretty much everything in this thread. There's nothing impossible about an on-campus stadium.

But trying to convince some of you of that is like trying to talk someone in to leaving a cult. You're so indoctrinated that your brain literally can't process the possibility that other schools in similar situations are building on-campus stadiums.

I don't live far from Michael Irvin. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

You're a very emotional man. But, once again, I've been right about pretty much everything in this thread. There's nothing impossible about an on-campus stadium.

But trying to convince some of you of that is like trying to talk someone in to leaving a cult. You're so indoctrinated that your brain literally can't process the possibility that other schools in similar situations are building on-campus stadiums.
It's impossible...Absolutely no room....Stop the stupidity....

According to US NEWS we have an undergraduate enrollment of 11,117. Most of those students don't care about college football. What's the point of an on campus stadium if you don't have the student population? It's like people want an on campus stadium just to say we have one and discount the factor that we would get no tangible benefit from having one, while we play in a world class/super bowl holding stadium. It's idiotic at this point.

It's impossible...Absolutely no room....Stop the stupidity....

Tell me this, smart guy. If there's really no room to build anything on campus, then how does the university plan to expand in the next 30 years for non-football related stuff?

What about when they need a new library, or a new building for the law school? You're telling me the University of Miami has just run out of room?

THAT'S stupidity.

I 1000% GUARANTEE you that the University of Miami owns a lot of land for future expansion. And I guarantee that it's enough to build a stadium on, if they chose to do that.

Advertisement
Imagine you're a recruit. You're on a visit to some school in the SEC. The coach takes you around campus, shows you the dorms, the practice facilities, and weight room. Then he walks you out to the 50 yard line of the on-campus stadium, where the announcer calls out your name and your picture is up on the jumbotron. The cheerleaders are chanting your name.

Having an on-campus stadium is a huge recruiting tool. And Sun Life Stadium, great as it is, isn't ours. It's a rental. And we can't use it for recruiting.
Yes, I'm sure Manny Diaz is completely unable to take them for a tour of Hard Rock Stadium on an official visit.

And no recruit would ever think playing in an NFL stadium is better than a ****** college stadium.

OCCC is right about one thing. You have obviously never been Coral Gables, the campus, or Hard Rock Stadium.

Lol or they take them to the NFL stadium and show highlights of NFL canes while the their picture is up on the jumbotron with the the cheerleaders chanting their name.

According to US NEWS we have an undergraduate enrollment of 11,117. Most of those students don't care about college football. What's the point of an on campus stadium if you don't have the student population? It's like people want an on campus stadium just to say we have one and discount the factor that we would get no tangible benefit from having one, while we play in a world class/super bowl holding stadium. It's idiotic at this point.

When I went to school there, nearly everyone cared about Miami football. And guess what, when the kids can just walk to the stadium, they care a lot more because it becomes a place to party. It connects the students to the team in a way that an NFL Stadium in Miami Gardens will never be able to do.

That's actually one of the best reasons to build it.

Advertisement
Yes, I'm sure Manny Diaz is completely unable to take them for a tour of Hard Rock Stadium on an official visit.

And no recruit would ever think playing in an NFL stadium is better than a ****** college stadium.

OCCC is right about one thing. You have obviously never been Coral Gables, the campus, or Hard Rock Stadium.

That's a cop-out. I lived in the Mahoney dorms and I attended UM as an undergrad.

But that's the OCCC playbook - if you're losing an argument on the facts, just call the other person stupid as loudly as possible and hope it distracts enough people.

The fact that Miami is one of only two G5 teams without their own stadium is sad.

It hurts our recruiting for sure. You don’t get a true college experience if you play for the U.

The fact that our admin has our “fans” so beaten down that our own fans shoot down the stadium idea without the administration even having to respond to it is even more sad.

You can really tell that people in Miami have roots in communist countries where you don’t question authority. Very sad imo.
Please tell me how it hurts recruiting.

Please tell me how it hurts recruiting.

Having an on-campus stadium is a huge recruiting tool. And Sun Life Stadium, great as it is, isn't ours. It's a rental. And it's nearly an hour away from campus.

When I went to school there, nearly everyone cared about Miami football. And guess what, when the kids can just walk to the stadium, they care a lot more because it becomes a place to party. It connects the students to the team in a way that an NFL Stadium in Miami Gardens will never be able to do.

That's actually one of the best reasons to build it.
So let's say every one of those students goes to every game. How are you filling the rest of the seats? You have people from Broward up to Jupiter who will not go to games any more. It's a 75 minute drive to HRS, it was a 135 minute drive to campus when I did it 25 years ago. What's your solution to that? Build a smaller stadium with fewer seats so it looks full? They sold 48,000 season tickets last year. How many fewer would they sell at your new, smaller stadium? Do you really expect them to sacrifice revenue so some jackass in Texas can see a full stadium on tv?

They've got 14 years left on their current lease. Hopefully they renew for another 25.

Advertisement
Back