New Stadium

Question for those in the know; how much is our lease w HRS and do we make money off the parking, concession stands, tickets....or does that go to Ross?
Can't speak for the Rock rell but I do know that at the OB, that was city owned, there was a recurring lease with options. The U got a percentage of the concessions after expenses. Ticket revenue was shared at a different % than concessions and parking. Parking was really a non-factor because there was so much off site around the stadium but what was on site, the U got a small percentage of it. I don't remember ever hearing what the percentages were. After the Phins came to town, things didn't change much as far as costs are concerned for the U other than facility upgrades due to NFL standards. Robbie constantly fought with the city over cost sharing and maintenance.

My father left in '79 well before the downfall of the OB. What I do know is that the OB was really aging and, after Robbie told the city to go f--k themselves and went and built his own stadium, the city decided to cut it's expenses with the OB, and struck the deal with the Marlins.

Being privately owned, I wouldn't venture a guess as to what the agreement is between the U and the Rock.

Advertisement
I never said it wasn't. The point was made to name any stadium that would fill up for Rutgers and I named several just out of the Big 10. Stadiums fill up for crappy teams in other conferences every single week. I fully understand why Miami never will, particularly since I live right near Pittsburgh and Pitt has the exact same set up with the Steelers and Heinz Field and will also always suffer the same ****** attendance Miami does.

Except the last few years Miami attendance has been far from shltty. No comparison to those dead *** Pitt crowds

Except the last few years Miami attendance has been far from shltty. No comparison to those dead *** Pitt crowds
I guess those games on tv must be an optical illusion. Tickets sold may have increased, but it's still the quietest stadium of the 20 games I probably watch a part of every single weekend. Seems by the 2nd half to be a little fuller, but at kickoff and when they try to pretend to get loud on the first few big defensive plays it's embarrassing. You can almost hear individual conversations and they show the same one full section 15 times

I guess those games on tv must be an optical illusion. Tickets sold may have increased, but it's still the quietest stadium of the 20 games I probably watch a part of every single weekend. Seems by the 2nd half to be a little fuller, but at kickoff and when they try to pretend to get loud on the first few big defensive plays it's embarrassing. You can almost hear individual conversations and they show the same one full section 15 times

I go to all the games. You’re dead wrong. It was loud from the get go and that wasn’t a sellout crowd last Saturday. I don’t know maybe it was 45,000-50,000, no idea. Still not bad considering everything this year. The only thing you’re right about is that it’s always late arriving crowd. Be a fan of Michigan if you want then you can watch 100,000 people in the stands and boring *** big 10 football. That oughta make you happy.

Advertisement
I go to all the games. You’re dead wrong. It was loud from the get go and that wasn’t a sellout crowd last Saturday. I don’t know maybe it was 45,000-50,000, no idea. Still not bad considering everything this year. The only thing you’re right about is that it’s always late arriving crowd. Be a fan of Michigan if you want then you can watch 100,000 people in the stands and boring *** big 10 football. That oughta make you happy.
Must just be bad sound quality in that stadium then, cuz it sure af isn't loud on tv. Ever. I guess the sound bubble things only don't work there but are just fine at any other game. If you hadn't resorted to your M.O. of instant anger at any poster that doesn't completely agree with you and actually read the comments you would clearly see I'm in no way rooting for Michigan or anyone else. The question was posed who can fill up a stadium for Rutgers and I named 5 from one conference in 3 seconds off the top of my head. Had nothing to do with anything other than that. And just stop trying with the crowd. Our crowds have been the butt of every joke of that sort in CFB for well over a decade for a reason. Because in general they suck, and have since the glory days at the OB as has been established here. That's why. Pitt's suck, and so do Miami's. You don't need to go to the game to see and hear it we have the inventions called TVs nowadays.

...Our crowds have been the butt of every joke of that sort in CFB for well over a decade for a reason. Because in general they suck, and have since the glory days at the OB as has been established here. ...

Not only are you a crowd *****, but you’re ignorant, as the underlined comment proves.

You know very little about Miami and it’s crowds as you have proven. The Orange bowl comment just seals the deal on your complete ignorance.

Must just be bad sound quality in that stadium then, cuz it sure af isn't loud on tv. Ever. I guess the sound bubble things only don't work there but are just fine at any other game. If you hadn't resorted to your M.O. of instant anger at any poster that doesn't completely agree with you and actually read the comments you would clearly see I'm in no way rooting for Michigan or anyone else. The question was posed who can fill up a stadium for Rutgers and I named 5 from one conference in 3 seconds off the top of my head. Had nothing to do with anything other than that. And just stop trying with the crowd. Our crowds have been the butt of every joke of that sort in CFB for well over a decade for a reason. Because in general they suck, and have since the glory days at the OB as has been established here. That's why. Pitt's suck, and so do Miami's. You don't need to go to the game to see and hear it we have the inventions called TVs nowadays.

Rutgers student population 67,000+

Miami 17,000+

For small crowds they make plenty of noise when there's good plays to cheer for.

Advertisement
Question for those in the know; how much is our lease w HRS and do we make money off the parking, concession stands, tickets....or does that go to Ross?

We get a piece of all that. Parking I believe is only the passes we sell, I think Ross gets most of the cash lots. Ross is still making about $5mm annually by our participation there. We'd be hard-pressed to find a better deal independently without assuming all the risk.

You're just not going to get anywhere with these Russell Athletic/Orange Bowl boys when it comes to anything new. On your average Saturday game, Hard Rock will appear more full and produce more noise than the old OB because it's been engineered and redesigned to do so-- it's a modern stadium.

You and I are at every single home game, and we know that the stadium is not dead, and when we watch the replay on TV it produces noise comprable to most other college football games. In fact, if you talk to rival fans who visit, they'll tell you the same thing, even when it isn't a sellout.

We get a piece of all that. Parking I believe is only the passes we sell, I think Ross gets most of the cash lots. Ross is still making about $5mm annually by our participation there. We'd be hard-pressed to find a better deal independently without assuming all the risk.

You're just not going to get anywhere with these Russell Athletic/Orange Bowl boys when it comes to anything new. On your average Saturday game, Hard Rock will appear more full and produce more noise than the old OB because it's been engineered and redesigned to do so-- it's a modern stadium.

You and I are at every single home game, and we know that the stadium is not dead, and when we watch the replay on TV it produces noise comprable to most other college football games. In fact, if you talk to rival fans who visit, they'll tell you the same thing, even when it isn't a sellout.

Exactly, sometimes on TV it’s so loud they actually muffle the crowd noise so the announcers can speak and be heard through the television. In watching the replay of the Louisville game I noticed that sometimes. I could definitely tell that the microphone was being muffled in one way or another. It was pretty **** loud this Saturday.

Rutgers student population 67,000+

Miami 17,000+

For small crowds they make plenty of noise when there's good plays to cheer for.
The question was about when Rutgers comes to your own stadium, it has zero to do with their student population. That would be about filling their OWN stadium

Advertisement
On tv you don't usually hear the cannon. You can barely hear the band and stadium music. Its definitely turned down.

On tv you don't usually hear the cannon. You can barely hear the band and stadium music. Its definitely turned down.

I never noticed that, but you’re right. When I rewatch the games I’m always jumping ahead to the start of the play, and of course just fast forwarding through all the fluff parts and the commercials. I never noticed that. Good observation

Advertisement

Half the student section didn't arrive until about halfway through the first quarter. We were going to take one of my son's friend and we were heading back to campus to pick him up at Mahoney but he wanted to get there around gametime. We got there around two hours so we could watch the Penn State/Minnesota game.

Can't speak for the Rock rell but I do know that at the OB, that was city owned, there was a recurring lease with options. The U got a percentage of the concessions after expenses. Ticket revenue was shared at a different % than concessions and parking. Parking was really a non-factor because there was so much off site around the stadium but what was on site, the U got a small percentage of it. I don't remember ever hearing what the percentages were. After the Phins came to town, things didn't change much as far as costs are concerned for the U other than facility upgrades due to NFL standards. Robbie constantly fought with the city over cost sharing and maintenance.

My father left in '79 well before the downfall of the OB. What I do know is that the OB was really aging and, after Robbie told the city to go f--k themselves and went and built his own stadium, the city decided to cut it's expenses with the OB, and struck the deal with the Marlins.

Being privately owned, I wouldn't venture a guess as to what the agreement is between the U and the Rock.

This is solid info, my guy. Thank you,

Campus is only 220 acres...No room...Coral Gables would never allow it...

Not only that but my son is ****ed. They are putting in two new buildings. One over by the engineering building. I told him they better not be taking out the foundation and those trees. The other is going in by Richter which is okay if they keep the farmer's market and enough open space. With the new dorms the campus does not need much more urban sprawl on it.

i know where this is coming from. I was at a coral gables city commission meeting a month ago and the commission and UM staffers were discussing the idea. seems everyone, including residents, is on-board. the city is going to purchase almost the entire area just east of the Univ of Miami between Granada and Riviera and US1 and Blue Road through the use of eminent domain and then give it to the Univ of Miami as was done in Kelo v. City of New London (545 U.S. 469 (2005)(for all you blue book geeks) in order to build a 55,000 seat single-use stadium (all football, no other bullsh!t). estimatef cost is about $2,000,000,000. there are about 600 houses in that area each of at least at a million dollars each so that's about $750,000,000 (rounding up) right there. the rest is to close off roads, upgrade rights of way and then build the stadium. exemplifying unrivaled largess, residents of the city (including me) have agreed to absorb the tax increase because they are wealthy. all of this to play 6 games a year. and epstein didn't kill himself.

/one has to be dense to continue raising the "build a new stadium" issue.

Well played sir.

Advertisement
Back