New stadium, Is it happening?

SunLife renovations take it to 55k. Really going to be nice & the recruits/players love it. Won't attract recruits with a cheesy 35-40k soccer stadium. Parking will still be an issue; who wants to go in a parking garage? I hope they do their demographic info as to who's traveling to games/buying tickets & from where. SunLife is easy to get too with lots of great tailgating. Can't count on students either as student attendance is down all over the country, not just at UM. We travel from the gulf coast for all games & driving back down to Miami doesn't particularly appeal to me anymore. Be careful what you wish for.

why would a stadium in the middle of nowhere and nowhere near campus be appealing to recruits. There will never be an atmosphere at Son Life because its in ****** Miramar/Norland area. Place needs to be nuked and turned into a flea market

Advertisement
The whole "stadium move" was a thing I always point to when talking to a Shalala apologist. She moves us out of "The Temple of the Hurricanes" to Sunlife. A move to this day, whether you love Shalala or hate her, no Hurricanes fan is happy about. And the move was about money - let's not kid ourselves - the revenue sharing deal was better at Sunlife then at the OB. SO she signs a 20 year lease, moves the team, and the OB is turned to dust. Now, she wants to MOVE BACK to the same area that we had just come from....sans the Orange Bowl, have a huge opt-out with Sunlife, and throw in some cash to the stadium. Come on now, you have to admit her judgment is off?

shes an idiot. point blank

sun life is great for tailgating but thats it, after that its too far, theres no atmosphere, 40,000 will show up and it will still look empty no matter how much seats you cover, we need this new stadium

honestly they would have to pay off some people to get it done, the county is still in crap because of the whole marlins ball park, if they arent giving funds to the phins, i doubt they would give a OK to the new stadium, unless you bribe like loria did

Advertisement
It amazes how people who never go to SunLife make comments about atmosphere, game day experience, blah blah blah & can't even spell the name. LMAO. Why do you think the 'kick-off classic games' are so exciting for players, recruits around the country? Because they get pumped up playing at an NFL venue.

SunLife renovations take it to 55k. Really going to be nice & the recruits/players love it. Won't attract recruits with a cheesy 35-40k soccer stadium. Parking will still be an issue; who wants to go in a parking garage? I hope they do their demographic info as to who's traveling to games/buying tickets & from where. SunLife is easy to get too with lots of great tailgating. Can't count on students either as student attendance is down all over the country, not just at UM. We travel from the gulf coast for all games & driving back down to Miami doesn't particularly appeal to me anymore. Be careful what you wish for.

why would a stadium in the middle of nowhere and nowhere near campus be appealing to recruits. There will never be an atmosphere at Son Life because its in ****in Miramar/Norland area. Place needs to be nuked and turned into a flea market

It amazes how people who never go to SunLife make comments about atmosphere, game day experience, blah blah blah & can't even spell the name. LMAO. Why do you think the 'kick-off classic games' are so exciting for players, recruits around the country? Because they get pumped up playing at an NFL venue.

why would a stadium in the middle of nowhere and nowhere near campus be appealing to recruits. There will never be an atmosphere at Son Life because its in ****in Miramar/Norland area. Place needs to be nuked and turned into a flea market

LMAO, we found another UM staffer here

sun life is great for tailgating but thats it, after that its too far, theres no atmosphere, 40,000 will show up and it will still look empty no matter how much seats you cover, we need this new stadium

Great for tailgating? Just curious, what other colleges have you tailgated at?

AT&T stadium in Arlington is the best stadium in the NFL and its not even close. For those of you that haven't seen it in person make the trip for the LSU vs Miami game it will be worth it.

Typical UM scenario:

We go do our own stadium thing, and it ends up sucking ***, having an awkward soccer feel...

Meanwhile, sunlifes renovations are badass and it's the best stadium in the country.

We cursed

Best stadium in the country? GTFOH
He meant "best NFL stadium in the county".

Still. GTFOH

I've been both AT&T Stadium and Lambeau and I have to say that while AT&T may have all of the bells and whistles I would travel to Green Bay to watch a game again before going to Dallas again...no doubt.

Advertisement
I would wait til after Sun Life is fully renovated and see how It is before I signed another deal. The renderings look pretty awesome. Plus they they will most likely pay to get out of the lease now. They'll make another dumb decision and make a deal with the Beckham group and that stadium will be a cheap *** piece of ****.

Ross stepped up to the plate and is doing the necessary. Wait and see before you react.

Ross could plate the entire venue in gold and it wouldn't address our issues with the place. Capacity, location and then amenities are what should be our priorities in that order.

Capacity? Have you not payed attention to the plan for SL? Its going to be amazing and will feel much more intimate with a roof, 11k less seats for big games and the upper endzones cut off for the Wakes of the world. Again... its foolish now that 400M in renovations have started to jump ship to a soccer stadium.

@ Svenben: have you not seen the renovations to SLS?? What's intimate about it? It's still a corporate pro-football stadium w/ no college feel to it AT ALL. If I wanted to watch a pro-game, absolutely, SLS is the place to be. HOWEVER, the seats are still hella far from the side line and the "amenities" that it's going to provide is really going to take away from a college frenzy feel...Sorry, but SLS was never renovated w/ the U in mind...it was renovated to make it more attractive for major college bowl games, super bowls, concerts, and of course the Phin fans.

WRONG! Kick-off classics are exciting b/c...wait for it....IT'S FULL OF RABID FANS AND THEY CAN HEAR THE SCREAMS AND ENTHUSIASM FROM THEM. You can't hear crap from fans at SLS...it's too big and spacious for our fan base, period.

I would wait til after Sun Life is fully renovated and see how It is before I signed another deal. The renderings look pretty awesome. Plus they they will most likely pay to get out of the lease now. They'll make another dumb decision and make a deal with the Beckham group and that stadium will be a cheap *** piece of ****.

Ross stepped up to the plate and is doing the necessary. Wait and see before you react.

Ross could plate the entire venue in gold and it wouldn't address our issues with the place. Capacity, location and then amenities are what should be our priorities in that order.

Capacity? Have you not payed attention to the plan for SL? Its going to be amazing and will feel much more intimate with a roof, 11k less seats for big games and the upper endzones cut off for the Wakes of the world. Again... its foolish now that 400M in renovations have started to jump ship to a soccer stadium.

@ Svenben: have you not seen the renovations to SLS?? What's intimate about it? It's still a corporate pro-football stadium w/ no college feel to it AT ALL. If I wanted to watch a pro-game, absolutely, SLS is the place to be. HOWEVER, the seats are still hella far from the side line and the "amenities" that it's going to provide is really going to take away from a college frenzy feel...Sorry, but SLS was never renovated w/ the U in mind...it was renovated to make it more attractive for major college bowl games, super bowls, concerts, and of course the Phin fans.

Exactly. I don't call having to put up giant screens to cover empty seats a positive in the capacity column either.

Advertisement

You know that Posh Spice Stadium is going to end up at Tropical Park.

This news shouldn't surprise anyone. The one guarantee is we were never going to be content in a pathetic patched stadium for the next 20 years. That's why I have participated in virtually every related thread on this site and others, despite the predictable tunnel vision apologetic crowd, the ones who are actually amazed at altered colored seats and sand cleaned cement. The university actually sent an email to that gullible type a few months ago during the renewal period, touting the new Sun Life as the loudest venue in the country.

Miami probably had no choice but to relocate in 2007, given the condition of the Orange Bowl and the refusal of local politicos to do anything about it. Our ignorance during that decision process was to rationalize Sun Life's location as a potential positive. Paul Dee was actually charting alumni and season ticket holder location, trying to pretend that a centralized location was ideal. What a moron. I sent him a related letter at the time. The further removed from campus, the more you lose. Big picture logic trumps fixation on trivial sub plots.

Dee probably brainwashed Shalala at the time. She has seen steadily seen the light, and at this outgoing stage no longer feels compelled to toe the straight public relations party line, i.e. lies.

As I posted many months ago, David Beckham has visionary qualities and would never stoop to the overmatched idea of patching a bland 28 year old multi purpose monstrosity in an irrelevant area. None of the patchwork is ideal, or a true 1-1 return on the dollar. It's merely whatever fits onto the old clod design. Steve Ross is a dullard. He's sticking this community with a laughable venue that only looks good in comparison to its former self. It's a weak NFL site. For a college program it's like trying to lose. I have to laugh at posters here who think we have it as good now as we did in the '80s, when we enjoyed the greatest home field edge in the country. And I predicted as soon as we moved to Sun Life that our recruiting results would suffer down the stretch, once kids actually realized what choices they had. At USC I watched recruits on those visits, being walked across campus on game day and then across the street to the Coliseum, with pageantry everywhere. What do we show them, Cane Walk? Hilarious. I'm sure USC isn't among the best examples of contrast, merely the one I'm most familiar with.

The hurdles may be considerable. I don't claim to know much about that, nor Ross' reaction to breaking the lease. It was a certainty that the University of Miami still had enough sharp people in high places to understand an escape was necessary, and pursue any available path. We should be thrilled about that. Contrast to the Dolphins, with so many mediocrities in high positions they are content to extend a quarterback at high dollar despite below average yards per attempt at every stage.

This news shouldn't surprise anyone. The one guarantee is we were never going to be content in a pathetic patched stadium for the next 20 years. That's why I have participated in virtually every related thread on this site and others, despite the predictable tunnel vision apologetic crowd, the ones who are actually amazed at altered colored seats and sand cleaned cement. The university actually sent an email to that gullible type a few months ago during the renewal period, touting the new Sun Life as the loudest venue in the country.

Miami probably had no choice but to relocate in 2007, given the condition of the Orange Bowl and the refusal of local politicos to do anything about it. Our ignorance during that decision process was to rationalize Sun Life's location as a potential positive. Paul Dee was actually charting alumni and season ticket holder location, trying to pretend that a centralized location was ideal. What a moron. I sent him a related letter at the time. The further removed from campus, the more you lose. Big picture logic trumps fixation on trivial sub plots.

Dee probably brainwashed Shalala at the time. She has seen steadily seen the light, and at this outgoing stage no longer feels compelled to toe the straight public relations party line, i.e. lies.

As I posted many months ago, David Beckham has visionary qualities and would never stoop to the overmatched idea of patching a bland 28 year old multi purpose monstrosity in an irrelevant area. None of the patchwork is ideal, or a true 1-1 return on the dollar. It's merely whatever fits onto the old clod design. Steve Ross is a dullard. He's sticking this community with a laughable venue that only looks good in comparison to its former self. It's a weak NFL site. For a college program it's like trying to lose. I have to laugh at posters here who think we have it as good now as we did in the '80s, when we enjoyed the greatest home field edge in the country. And I predicted as soon as we moved to Sun Life that our recruiting results would suffer down the stretch, once kids actually realized what choices they had. At USC I watched recruits on those visits, being walked across campus on game day and then across the street to the Coliseum, with pageantry everywhere. What do we show them, Cane Walk? Hilarious. I'm sure USC isn't among the best examples of contrast, merely the one I'm most familiar with.

The hurdles may be considerable. I don't claim to know much about that, nor Ross' reaction to breaking the lease. It was a certainty that the University of Miami still had enough sharp people in high places to understand an escape was necessary, and pursue any available path. We should be thrilled about that. Contrast to the Dolphins, with so many mediocrities in high positions they are content to extend a quarterback at high dollar despite below average yards per attempt at every stage.

good post. i said at the time that the demise of the orange bowl meant the demise of miamis football program. its has come to fruition: lack of giving a **** about the big things like the stadium situation was a sure sign that the higher ups lost interest in giving a rats *** about the other details....um, like hiring competent coaches.....the higher ups had other priorities I guess.

If we can actually move to a stadium, in the city of Miami, with the ocean and the skyline in the backdrop that actually reflects that we play in Miami...then it will be a sign that the higher ups finally understand that the once great cash cow of hurricane football might....after all this neglect...be worthy of their attention and concern.

Neither the Hurricanes or the Dolphins should be playing in the Middle of nowhere called Miami Gardens. That is and has been a pathetic location; absolutely inexcusable....not to mention the monstrosity of a stadium.

Last edited:
Advertisement

You know that Posh Spice Stadium is going to end up at Tropical Park.

lol ...no

**** the idea of building a home field advantage at a smaller venue and then giving it away for the biggest games of the season.

Advertisement
Back