New stadium, Is it happening?

40k stadium and the destruction of a once proud program is complete.

Yup, come on kids, sign right here to play in front of a packed house. I can't stand Phins place, but the amenities I believe have nothing to do with college football, the recruits love I'd imagine. Sure, Beckham would bring much of the same to his place, but then there's the crowd size issue.

I'd bet just about anything this will not happen.

If done right, these 40 45k seat college stadiums feel alot bigger and the gameday noise is hella loud. We gotta go in this direction IMHO.
Miami Skyline, ocean, and a packed house are a marketing must to sell future recruits on Miami.

Advertisement
The whole "stadium move" was a thing I always point to when talking to a Shalala apologist. She moves us out of "The Temple of the Hurricanes" to Sunlife. A move to this day, whether you love Shalala or hate her, no Hurricanes fan is happy about. And the move was about money - let's not kid ourselves - the revenue sharing deal was better at Sunlife then at the OB. SO she signs a 20 year lease, moves the team, and the OB is turned to dust. Now, she wants to MOVE BACK to the same area that we had just come from....sans the Orange Bowl, have a huge opt-out with Sunlife, and throw in some cash to the stadium. Come on now, you have to admit her judgment is off?

SunLife renovations take it to 55k. Really going to be nice & the recruits/players love it. Won't attract recruits with a cheesy 35-40k soccer stadium. Parking will still be an issue; who wants to go in a parking garage? I hope they do their demographic info as to who's traveling to games/buying tickets & from where. SunLife is easy to get too with lots of great tailgating. Can't count on students either as student attendance is down all over the country, not just at UM. We travel from the gulf coast for all games & driving back down to Miami doesn't particularly appeal to me anymore. Be careful what you wish for.

The whole "stadium move" was a thing I always point to when talking to a Shalala apologist. She moves us out of "The Temple of the Hurricanes" to Sunlife. A move to this day, whether you love Shalala or hate her, no Hurricanes fan is happy about. And the move was about money - let's not kid ourselves - the revenue sharing deal was better at Sunlife then at the OB. SO she signs a 20 year lease, moves the team, and the OB is turned to dust. Now, she wants to MOVE BACK to the same area that we had just come from....sans the Orange Bowl, have a huge opt-out with Sunlife, and throw in some cash to the stadium. Come on now, you have to admit her judgment is off?

Except your story is completely incorrect. You act as if we owned or controlled the fate of the OB. The (very corrupt) city of Miami called the shots on that situation, and they very much wanted that new, shiny, and politically-tied Marlins stadium (and the kickbacks and other support the politicians got from those who wanted to build it). UM had little control over it, and short of shelling out far more money than they had or the OB was worth, there was nothing they could do to stop it.

SunLife renovations take it to 55k. Really going to be nice & the recruits/players love it. Won't attract recruits with a cheesy 35-40k soccer stadium. Parking will still be an issue; who wants to go in a parking garage? I hope they do their demographic info as to who's traveling to games/buying tickets & from where. SunLife is easy to get too with lots of great tailgating. Can't count on students either as student attendance is down all over the country, not just at UM. We travel from the gulf coast for all games & driving back down to Miami doesn't particularly appeal to me anymore. Be careful what you wish for.

SunLife is NOT easy to get to. It is far from most of the UM fanbase. The recruits more typically mention the importance of a wild college atmosphere (which Sun Life never has) over the fanciness of a stadium. A smaller, more intimate, loud stadium with a college football feel will be far better for the fan experience and for recruiting.

Last edited:
Advertisement

calling this statement revisionist history would be an understatement.

Joe Robbie Stadium may be easy to deal with from the gulf coast, but it is terrible to return from to the Gables / Grove.

Multiple cluster f****s.

Turnpike toll booth merge.

One single lane goes through to I 95 south and it merges at the golden glades with 826

2 hours minimum to get home if you go to a real game with real attendance. In case you forgot, that drive is 15 minutes when no games are played on the weekend played if the geniuses at FDOT don't schedule lane closures.

I am well aware of the driving implications to OB area as we have attended games since the 80's. Again would need to see the stats of where the majority of fans are driving from....big numbers attend games from Broward/Palm Beach Counties so you can't make a blanket statement about 'the majority of the fans' without the season ticket facts & who's buying/traveling.

As for Shalala 'moving us out of the OB' that is simply not true. The City wanted the Marlins & guess what? They got them! Disaster for all. Getting in bed with Beckham & the Banana Republic leaders may not be much better than the first time around but it's certainly worth exploring. Shalala is leaving June 1st & shouldn't be negotiating anything at this point. She's gone.

Joe Robbie Stadium may be easy to deal with from the gulf coast, but it is terrible to return from to the Gables / Grove.

Multiple cluster f****s.

Turnpike toll booth merge.

One single lane goes through to I 95 south and it merges at the golden glades with 826

2 hours minimum to get home if you go to a real game with real attendance. In case you forgot, that drive is 15 minutes when no games are played on the weekend played if the geniuses at FDOT don't schedule lane closures.

Advertisement
17 years remaining on the lease its going to be expensive but they were saying Miami might play 2 Home games at SunLife like the FSU game and maybe a GA Tech or VTech game

You want a possible player in this whole deal..........Look no further then DB
beckham-dugout-thumb2.jpg

Its literally under our noses or should I say DB's nose.

17 years remaining on the lease its going to be expensive but they were saying Miami might play 2 Home games at SunLife like the FSU game and maybe a GA Tech or VTech game

Neither VT or GT would come close to a sell out. It would have to be FSU and a non con game like OU, Nebraska, OSU. A national team with a lot of fans that travel

40k stadium and the destruction of a once proud program is complete.

Yup, come on kids, sign right here to play in front of a packed house. I can't stand Phins place, but the amenities I believe have nothing to do with college football, the recruits love I'd imagine. Sure, Beckham would bring much of the same to his place, but then there's the crowd size issue.

I'd bet just about anything this will not happen.

If done right, these 40 45k seat college stadiums feel alot bigger and the gameday noise is hella loud. We gotta go in this direction IMHO.
Miami Skyline, ocean, and a packed house are a marketing must to sell future recruits on Miami.

you right I always thought Baylor new stadium hold about 60k that's how it look on tv, yeah we just need a place to call our own

Advertisement
I'll ask two questions and anyone feel free to answer. 1. Do we know if a 40,000 seat stadium can even fit next to Marlins Park? The herald said it would be a tight squeeze but not impossible (whatever that means). 2. Why is Donna Shalala negotiating anything when she is leaving in a week? I just find this amusing that she can negotiate a multi-million dollar stadium deal but couldn't buyout an inept coach because she didn't want to burden the next president.

Typical UM scenario:

We go do our own stadium thing, and it ends up sucking ***, having an awkward soccer feel...

Meanwhile, sunlifes renovations are badass and it's the best stadium in the country.

We cursed

Its dumb to make a move now. Sun Life will be a totally transformed FOOTBALL stadium in 2016 (not 2015). Why not just wait and give it a try before moving into a SOCCER stadium. The new luxury seats will bring in a ton of cash.

I'll ask two questions and anyone feel free to answer. 1. Do we know if a 40,000 seat stadium can even fit next to Marlins Park? The herald said it would be a tight squeeze but not impossible (whatever that means). 2. Why is Donna Shalala negotiating anything when she is leaving in a week? I just find this amusing that she can negotiate a multi-million dollar stadium deal but couldn't buyout an inept coach because she didn't want to burden the next president.

That was always garbage a garbage excuse, IMO.

Golden still being the HC has nothing to do with the current president not wanting to "burden" next president ... It was, is, and always will be about the BOT and what they decide.

Regarding the stadium ... I suspect Benicio is correct ... The potential joint-venture with MLS is likely tied to the shared interest of our new apparel partner ...

Advertisement
I would wait til after Sun Life is fully renovated and see how It is before I signed another deal. The renderings look pretty awesome. Plus they they will most likely pay to get out of the lease now. They'll make another dumb decision and make a deal with the Beckham group and that stadium will be a cheap *** piece of ****.

Ross stepped up to the plate and is doing the necessary. Wait and see before you react.

Ross could plate the entire venue in gold and it wouldn't address our issues with the place. Capacity, location and then amenities are what should be our priorities in that order.

Capacity? Have you not payed attention to the plan for SL? Its going to be amazing and will feel much more intimate with a roof, 11k less seats for big games and the upper endzones cut off for the Wakes of the world. Again... its foolish now that 400M in renovations have started to jump ship to a soccer stadium.

I would wait til after Sun Life is fully renovated and see how It is before I signed another deal. The renderings look pretty awesome. Plus they they will most likely pay to get out of the lease now. They'll make another dumb decision and make a deal with the Beckham group and that stadium will be a cheap *** piece of ****.

Ross stepped up to the plate and is doing the necessary. Wait and see before you react.

Ross could plate the entire venue in gold and it wouldn't address our issues with the place. Capacity, location and then amenities are what should be our priorities in that order.

Capacity? Have you not payed attention to the plan for SL? Its going to be amazing and will feel much more intimate with a roof, 11k less seats for big games and the upper endzones cut off for the Wakes of the world. Again... its foolish now that 400M in renovations have started to jump ship to a soccer stadium.
The good thing about that 400Mil in renovation is that contrary to the propaganda poster the athletic department put out trying to claim it was their investment, it is not. And no amount of money thrown at that **** hole is going to serve us with what we actually need outside of one home game every other year, and it won't move it closer to campus. So yes, this is a great time to jump.

Last edited by a moderator:
We need the same seat stadium that we had for the Louisville bowl game in 2013. Perfect fit for Miami and was between 44000-48000

Advertisement
Back