New S&P+ Ratings - UM @ #14

scrantoncane

Sophomore

These ratings are predictive of what the point spread will be on a neutral (subtract higher from lower; would add ~3 for HFA).

Miami should only be a dog twice - at Clemson (+7.5) & at aTm (s+P has it closer than the +9 that was already released).

home vs UNC -7
FSU -6.5
Pitt -3.5
@UVA -8
@VT -9

TIFWIW. My takeaway is that the coastal stinks, and if we stay healthy, the Pitt game likely determines the coastal champ.

Advertisement

These ratings are predictive of what the point spread will be on a neutral (subtract higher from lower; would add ~3 for HFA).

Miami should only be a dog twice - at Clemson (+7.5) & at aTm (s+P has it closer than the +9 that was already released).

home vs UNC -7
FSU -6.5
Pitt -3.5
@UVA -8
@VT -9

TIFWIW. My takeaway is that the coastal stinks, and if we stay healthy, the Pitt game likely determines the coastal champ.
Where do they have FSU and UiF?

Where do they have FSU and UiF?
1653316378252.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
Ok…ok…ok, what am I missing about Pitt?
I don’t get the fascination with them?

Won the ACC last year and return the 45th most production in the country from last year, which isn't astronomical but it's top third in the country.

Replacing Pickett with Slovis, who showed a lot of skills his first year at USC and was injured a lot after that (and also didn't play very well when he was playing, to be fair).

I don't think there's a huge fascination, they're ranked 19th in his rankings. But they're a defending conference champion returning a pretty decent bit of their production. They should be a Top 20-ish team if Slovis plays well. Even with the Addison loss, they still have some pretty nice playmakers.

home vs UNC -7
FSU -6.5
Pitt -3.5
@UVA -8
@VT -9

@Uva has my attention

Advertisement
Won the ACC last year and return the 45th most production in the country from last year, which isn't astronomical but it's top third in the country.

Replacing Pickett with Slovis, who showed a lot of skills his first year at USC and was injured a lot after that (and also didn't play very well when he was playing, to be fair).

I don't think there's a huge fascination, they're ranked 19th in his rankings. But they're a defending conference champion returning a pretty decent bit of their production. They should be a Top 20-ish team if Slovis plays well. Even with the Addison loss, they still have some pretty nice playmakers.
The teams in the coastal are so close to being mediocre/terrible it makes it tough

Just me but I think they are in deep **** this year but also you are spot on as well

Pitt could be *** this year. There a program that builds and then makes a run every 3-4 years. The don’t reload losing 1st round qb and arguably the best Wr in CFB.

Unc is the game. They’ve recruited well and have had our number.

Nobody in the ACC scares me but we gotta take care of business.

Pitt could be *** this year. There a program that builds and then makes a run every 3-4 years. The don’t reload losing 1st round qb and arguably the best Wr in CFB.

Unc is the game. They’ve recruited well and have had our number.

Nobody in the ACC scares me but we gotta take care of business.
Ya there ranking is a joke. Its like they didn't consider the fact that they lost their 1st round Qb and WR. Look how they looked in their bowl game.

Advertisement
I think that #14 is fair. It was actually an over/under for me to consider as success for the year. I figured 12-15 would be a fair range for us. Less would be disappointing and more would be a bonus.

If you look at the recruiting classes over the last 4 years, that's about what our level of talent says we are. Even with all the miracles that Cristobal pulled out we still ended up at #13. We have underperformed those rankings for years so it would be nice to at least play up to level of talent that we conceivably have.

Beyond this year, we can look to improve with real recruiting classes. But #14 is a reasonable expectation in year one.

Every year we puff our chests and say the Coastal is garbage; we then proceed to drop 2-3 games in our division. We don’t have the talent to steamroll these teams, unfortunately.

With that said, we need to win the division this year. No excuses. But don’t expect it to be a cake walk because it won’t be.

Advertisement
Back